ericdmj

Vinyl cutter recommendation for a university makerspace?

Hey, all--

I've luckily been given $2000 to spend on a new vinyl cutter for our makerspace.  We've had a Silhouette Cameo for some years and would like a more robust machine. 

I'd originally been looking into the Graphtec CE7000 or Roland CAMM-1 GS-24, but I'm starting to worry whether they might be TOO much of a jump into professional-grade machines for our purposes.  We're likely to see use by students doing signage and cut-outs for art projects (huge art school), but I suspect not so much stuff like ARMS with existing graphics, barcodes for managing jobs, etc.

I do like that both the Graphtec and the Roland have some kind of capability to let design work happen in Adobe Illustrator and on Macs. I also like a size bigger than 12" width.

Any thoughts on a good machine that allows beginners to use them but also offers some more capability? Either of the two above, or maybe something from USCutter -- or something else? 

I am as you can tell not an expert by any stretch, so all thoughts welcome.  Thanks!

Depends on what you're wanting to do with it. If you're wanting to be able to cut paper and other stock similar to what the cameo does you might want to stick with the cameo, maybe get a newer one or two. If just vinyl, either of the cutters you mentioned would be great. The USCutter Titan series would also be a good option and a bit cheaper. You could get two titans, or a titan and a couple of cameo's and still be under budget.

Adding a heat press to the mix could be nice as well. You've got the cutter, making shirts is not a big step and I can see that being pretty popular at a school.

Thanks, darcshadow.  Interesting thought on the heat press--that's just a separate unit, right?  Typically not integrated "into" a cutter.  Could definitely see it being popular.

We'll still have our Cameo, so we'll still have that capability (but also may want to get a newer one maybe in a year or two).

Looks like all three of the machines (Graphtec, Roland, Titan) can do cardstock, too, if I'm not mistaken?  We do have a laser cutter that lets us handle single ply paper (with careful supervision), so that's not necessarily required.

For me I think the biggest decision point may be relative ease of operation for beginners.  It's so easy to overbuy in a makerspace when you get handed the $$, jumping right to the most complex use cases, but I have to keep reminding myself that MOST people will be coming in to use the machine once, not for ongoing production.  If it feels like any of those (or another brand/model) stand out for relative ease of use, I'd especially be interested to hear reflections on that.  We do have staff standing by to help, but our approach is generally one of "teaching the student/faculty how to use it" rather than us doing it for people.

Yes, a heat press is a separate unit. You cut HTV (Heat Transfer Vinyl) with your cutter then use the heat press put it onto the shirt.

As for ease of operation, I think all 3 will have about the same learning curve to use the cutter. There are several design programs as well that people can create their design in, then bring the file into the makerspace and import it into the cut software that runs the machine. Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw are the two big ones. VinylMaster from USCutter is pretty good as well and the cut version of it comes with the Titan. There are 4 levels of Vinyl Master with different design abilities. And perhaps one of the best options for your situation is Inkscape. It's an open source free program meaning anyone can download it and use at home. They could came into the makerspace and get a crash course in using the software then go home and play with it more and create their designs.

The one advantage of getting a Graphtec, is the software that Graphtec will bundle with it. It's dual platform, and has an Illustrator plug-in that's supposed to let you cut directly from AI. Admittedly, I just import my vector files into SignBlazer if I'm in Windows, or the Graphic Studio if I'm in Mac, and just use those two for cutting, rather than designing.

I have a friend who has a Titan 2, and they love it. I have an original LaserPoint, still going strong, as well as a Graphtec CE6000 (just wish that I got that a lot sooner :P), whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong with upgrading to a different cutter with a larger cutting width.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Mz.Skeeter, what are they going to spend the remaining $1500 on? (The CameoPro is a great suggestion)

That heat-press idea is sounding better and better.

The challenge will be reminding students to MIRROR their cuts on HTV.  (Maybe put a sticker on the machine?)

Eric can also stock up on t-shirts in various colors & sizes so the students have 'em right there to use.

aaron-weiss-sBJ4ZWUXhWo-unsplash.jpeg?fo

They can purchase 2 of them, (If they want). A heat press if so desire. A printer, Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it all at once.. How about some vinyl?  Transfer tape. Put the remaining money in an account,( a rainy day fund ) use for  down the road when they think of more items from their imagination that they want..  

In my opinion, I would steer clear from the Graphtec machines. Some users talk about their great experience with the brand but I have had nothing but issues with our brand new Graphtec FC9000. From day 1 of the installation, we have had issue after issue. Totally understand that all companies make "lemons" every now and again but WOW. To top it all off, if your machine needs work, you have to send it to a service center where it can be looked at AND you are responsible for shipping it there. DO NOT throw away the box your plotter shipped in because if you do and it needs to go in for service, your warranty is voided if you box it up in something else.

"Obtaining Repair/Replacement: If you have any claim
under this warranty, contact GAI at 1-800-854-8385, 17462
Armstrong Ave, Irvine, CA 92614. Describe your problem
and submit proof of purchase to obtain a “warranty
authorization number” as required by GAI. Then contact a
Graphtec Authorized Service Center (ASC) to arrange
repair. Graphtec America ASC locations may be found at
www.graphtecamerica.com .You will ship the product to
the ASC, with freight and insurance prepaid, using the
original shipping container. GAI will pay to have the
Covered Product repaired and returned to you in the United
States of America or Canada via surface freight, with
freight and insurance charges prepaid."

Customer service could use some work. Can only reach someone via a submission form on the Graphtec website. They have a 1-800 number but you can only leave a message. Have to wait for someone to call you back about your issue. On paper the Graphtec machines have a lot of bells and whistles and are pretty impressive in the different types of media it can plot but if the machines do not work, the bells and whistles fall by the wayside.

If you are strongly considering the Graphtec, I would look up reviews of the company and what others have to say about it. Good for you to ask in sign forums as you have already done.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Graphtec+America+Inc/@33.6921541,-117.8495149,18.17z/data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x80dcde9665208653:0x42b2020f43c5f6a4!8m2!3d33.6908684!4d-117.8482759!9m1!1b1

Graphtec Warranty Warning.PNG

Graphtec.PNG

They can purchase 2 of them, (If they want). A heat press if so desire. A printer, Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it all at once.. How about some vinyl?  Transfer tape. Put the remaining money in an account,( a rainy day fund ) use for  down the road when they think of more items from their imagination that they want..  

If university funding works anything like ours, they have to spend within a set time limit or loose it.

• Like 1

@JustCut, I have purchased 4 Graphtecs 3 new  (1)  FC7000-MK2-75  (2) CE5000-60  Never had a problem out of any of them,  still in use.  (1) used FC8000-75, (seller couldn't get it to work right. $1000K free ship. It took me 15 minutes to fix it. Cross cutter blade was engaged. No problems since.  OP has already been using a Graphtec Silhouette for "some"  years at the University.   We have seen those types of cuts, on here, too many times on any brand of vinyl cutter. Not just a Graphtec. When the blade is too long, (extended out of the blade holder) the blade wobbles like a shopping cart wheel and cuts on the side, not the very tip, like it should. Have you tried a little light oil in the blade holder?  Like sewing machine, 3-1 etc?  Unless I missed it, I don't see where you mentioned the cutting software that you use. I just use bare bones Flexistarter 8.6 with 3 cutters and Graphtec Pro Studio with the FC8000.  Your cutter should have came with Graphtec Pro Studio,  A GREAT cutting software made by SAI (Flexi) for Windows.  Valued over $1000.  What are you using?  Have you tried another cutting software?  If you have had issue after issue, why didn't you get a replacement?   What type of vinyl cutting experience did you have before this purchase? 

The one advantage of getting a Graphtec, is the software that Graphtec will bundle with it. It's dual platform, and has an Illustrator plug-in that's supposed to let you cut directly from AI. Admittedly, I just import my vector files into SignBlazer if I'm in Windows, or the Graphic Studio if I'm in Mac, and just use those two for cutting, rather than designing.

I have a friend who has a Titan 2, and they love it. I have an original LaserPoint, still going strong, as well as a Graphtec CE6000 (just wish that I got that a lot sooner :P), whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong with upgrading to a different cutter with a larger cutting width.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

That very thought--the dual platform nature of things--had me leaning slightly to Graphtec when I was doing my earlier research (though there appear to be workarounds with software and plug-in options for almost anything).

Appreciate the encouragement!

Yes, a heat press is a separate unit. You cut HTV (Heat Transfer Vinyl) with your cutter then use the heat press put it onto the shirt.

As for ease of operation, I think all 3 will have about the same learning curve to use the cutter. There are several design programs as well that people can create their design in, then bring the file into the makerspace and import it into the cut software that runs the machine. Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw are the two big ones. VinylMaster from USCutter is pretty good as well and the cut version of it comes with the Titan. There are 4 levels of Vinyl Master with different design abilities. And perhaps one of the best options for your situation is Inkscape. It's an open source free program meaning anyone can download it and use at home. They could came into the makerspace and get a crash course in using the software then go home and play with it more and create their designs.

This is great info--thanks again for your responses!  We often encourage a similar pattern of operation of our 3D printers and laser cutter--do work on your home machine and then bring it in to do the actual execution of the job.  We use Inkscape with a pen plotter, so I've knocked around with that a bit as well.  

Good stuff!

Unfortunately, darcshadow has the right of it--we don't get to hang onto this money for later if it's unspent, because it was budgeted for this project and has a time limit.  But we can certainly get the cutter, vinyl of all kinds, and related accoutrements.

Thanks again to everybody for your thoughts--and if anybody else tunes in and has opinions, please don't hesitate to share them.  This has all been really helpful!

"Accoutrements" ?

Isn't that illegal?

Oh wait, that's "Paraphernalia"  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, darcshadow has the right of it--we don't get to hang onto this money for later if it's unspent, because it was budgeted for this project and has a time limit.  But we can certainly get the cutter, vinyl of all kinds, and related accoutrements.

Thanks again to everybody for your thoughts--and if anybody else tunes in and has opinions, please don't hesitate to share them.  This has all been really helpful!

So for you accoutrements, here is what I would suggest - a new machine should have it's own set of everything if the original machine will still be on location, and in use.

• squeegees
  • rotary cutter or some kind of x-acto or retractable blade
  • decent pair of scissors
  • some kind of aluminum safety ruler
  • spare blade holder
  • spare blades, or a very durable blade, such as the Clean Cut blades
  • carrier mats
  • USB cable
  • Extra long power cable, if necessary

That should be a good start.

And a sign detailing the correct way to set blade height. :)

^THIS^ Definitely that. Because an incorrect blade depth will cause frustration and possible unnecessary wear and tear.

Oh, and maybe an extra cutting strip or two.

Thanks so much for the lists, haumana--that is wonderful, and much appreciated.  At this point I'm now leaning a bit to the USCutter to give myself room for the paraphernaliaments, possibly including the heat press.  I need to investigate that specifically just because there may be other challenges with it, but that's worth checking out.

• Like 1

And just to close the loop on this, in the end we opted for a USCutter Titan 2, as ARMS is unlikely to be a driver for our purposes, and getting the Titan helped make purchase of the additional pieces-parts (vinyl rolls, extra blades, etc.) possible.  If the use blows up in the next few years, we can submit for an even nicer machine down the road.

Thanks again for the shared wisdom!

• Like 1

Nice! There really was no bad choice. Sounds like y'all have a great game plan and the money to fund it. That sounds like a total win in my book.