Sign in to follow this  
The Flaming Eyeball

SC2 for desktop use?

Has anyone converted their SC2 for use on a table or desk? I'm doing some rearranging, and was trying to figure out if there was a way to use the roller system for holding rolls of vinyl, in a desk or table configuration so I can put the rolling stand away. I don't need it out in the middle of the office anymore. 

Hi Eyeball, that's an interesting question.

How about this ---  remove the roller brackets from the stand. Build (with wood 1x6's) a 'RACK" that will accept these brackets.

With a little engineering, and ingenuity, you'll have a media feeder roller assembly for mounting on the tabletop.

Have I done this myself? Nope. Does it seem fairly straightforward and easy to accomplish? Yep.

That being said, I did build an application-tape feeder with 2x4's and a dowel. I clamp it to the edge of my 4'x8' work table and it's excellent for doing long banners or signs, pulling the transfer tape off the roll and laying it down over my decals.

I suppose you could do the same arrangment for vinyl, but that requires you to remove the dowel from the roll core each time you switch colors, and I imagine it's better to just have the vinyl rolls sitting on top of the feeder rollers that you took off the machine stand (as described above).

In any case, always pre-feed your material and don't have the cutter trying to pull vinyl from the roll directly.

DSCN0763.JPG