MikeTX

What to get? (Heat Press Setup)

So my wife wants to get into heat pressing some items such as shirts and bags.   What would be a good beginner setup for me to get to see if she likes it.

I currently have a Roland GX-24 since I cut vinyl decals.

Software we have the full run of Adobe products.

What else do others recommend?

Howdy Mike.

First piece of advice, when sending the design to the cutter, always remember to MIRROR.

Secondly, a good picker tool for weeding. Some prefer a fine tweezer, others like a pointy spike, and yet others just use the xacto knife.
Maybe get her all three, and see what she's comfortable with (weeding HTV is slightly different than regular vinyl).

Thirdly, the press itself. Do you believe that hats will enter into this equation? If so, consider the 5-in-1 package, which is currently on sale for $400.  https://uscutter.com/USCutter-Perfect-Press-Digital-5-in-1-Heat-Press

The cheapest option is $95.  (USCUTTER offers a $15 discount on the sale price $110 press purchase when you subscribe to their newsletter)
But keep in mind that the size on this basic press is only 9x12 and that's kinda tiny, although still useful for pocket logos and maybe bags. Ask the wife what her vision is, as far as production and designs. Most people in this game are using 15x15

It's up to the two of you to decide how much to sink into this venture from the get-go. You can start with a hundred bucks (see above) or make a choice to throw about $500 at it now and have a wider option for future work if she likes it.

As for myself, I do not own a full-size platen press. My only equipment is a small hat press that I grabbed from craigslist for just $50 several years ago, and I do a few hats now and then for fun. (and it allows me to do a shirt pocket logo, which I've produced for a few people)

HTV is a fascinating world, there's lots to love about it.
(and don't even get her started on DTG printing!)

IMG_20180628_164029.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like a press is all you need. Various online forums will say you can do it with an iron, and while technically true, you really shouldn't. I have a swing press which was a touch more expensive than a clam shell. Seems like everyone that has a clam shell at some point has burnt themselves, swing away also allows you to easily place the design and clearly see what you're doing.

• Like 1

Sounds like a press is all you need. Various online forums will say you can do it with an iron, and while technically true, you really shouldn't. I have a swing press which was a touch more expensive than a clam shell. Seems like everyone that has a clam shell at some point has burnt themselves, swing away also allows you to easily place the design and clearly see what you're doing.

Which swing press did you go with?

Which swing press did you go with?

I would recommend this press as a budget start up machine:

15" x 15" Digital Swing Arm Heat Press (uscutter.com)

I wouldn't go any smaller than 15"x 15" and I would recommend staying away from the combination options. I ditto darkshadow about a swinger vs a clam. I've had both and clams will burn you in the end (or back of hand) ha ha. 

You might consider a heat press pillow as well. Any time you have a set of buttons or some thick seams on garments they tend to hold the press up off the surface and can cause failure. I ran a similar press to this when I started out and got several years of service with it. I upgraded and gifted it to a friend who still uses it on hobby work. There are more expensive options to be sure and they are probably worth the money but it depends on your budget and likely use. A 16x20 machine is nice but also a bit big on smaller items so it can complicate things. I ended up upgrading to the Fusion which has interchangeable platens and its fantastic (but way high end). I upgraded when I decided that the side gig was a full on business and went for it. 

Good luck and I can guarantee you will have loads of fun with a heat press. Use the Siser Easyweed and Easyweed Stretch HTV. It's the best in the industry IMHO. I use the stretch for any color they carry and the regular non stretch for other colors they don't offer in the stretch. Great product. Just remember to mirror you file because you cut on the glue side. I mirror mine when I save them so I don't forget. It's easy to see that it's backwards and if I am cutting the logo in regular sign vinyl I flip it back over in the cutting software. You will under stand this stuff once you do some of it. 

That is the one I have. The heat pillow is a must have in my opinion. Buttons, collars, seams, so many things on shirts that make them not smooth, the heat pillow takes care of all of it.

As an aside, when you find that your pillow is getting flat you can unsew a side and go to a craft store and buy 1" foam and change it out and re-sew the side back up and have a new pillow for way cheaper than replacing the whole thing. Done it twice with mine. I also recommend a 6" X 20" pillow for sleeve work. A mouse pad also works for getting around buttons and seams. Lots of options.