CWS

A New Venture

Hello All,

I just received my MH 871 yesterday and I am in the process of setting it up.  I'm sure I will have lots of questions.  I intend to use it for hobby use and create gifts and things for personal use.  I originally wanted a cutter to create stencils for doing graphics on wood projects using stains.  This may develop into decals, etc. in the future.

Thanks in advance for help that I may need.

CWS (Walt)

• Like 2

Welcome from Indiana.  First thing you need to get right first is the blade depth. It is very important.  Ignore anything you may read about using a credit card or post it notes. They are wrong and too much bladed exposed out of the blade holder. Also, start cutting slow until you learn your cutter.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

Walt, congratulations, and welcome to our little corner of the wide world of cutting designs.

Let me make one suggestion right up front. Download and install SignBlazerElements. That old program contains a very delightful LIBRARY of ready-to-cut items (Draw menu). It's a simple matter to bring those graphics into your regular cutting application (VinylMaster?) using the Export .eps  &  Import functionality of both programs.

Let us know where this leads you.

Thanks @MZ SKEETER and @slice&dice for your suggestions.  Just to let you know, I wish I would have waited a little bit longer before starting.  I saw your suggestions too late, but all is good.  I did try the CC method on the blade and saw after running the "Test" that it was too deep.  I then went back to almost no blade tip showing and tried it with "test".  Not quite enough, so gradually extended it and tried "test" again. After four total tries, I had it. Ha!  I didn't waste much vinyl either.  Only the dirty edge of the sample they sent as a starter kit.  I have since cut one stencil with my Ham Radio Call sign, but this is where I have a question.  After completing a cut, what is the best way to cut it off of the roll of vinyl and get a straight line so you are ready for the next project?

TIA 

As I asked about cutting off the project piece from the roll, I know it is probably very obvious.... A straight edge and a utility knife of some sort on a cutting mat.    I guess I am just looking for something other than obvious that I may be missing. Ha!  

Thanks again,

Walt, congratulations, and welcome to our little corner of the wide world of cutting designs.

Let me make one suggestion right up front. Download and install SignBlazerElements. That old program contains a very delightful LIBRARY of ready-to-cut items (Draw menu). It's a simple matter to bring those graphics into your regular cutting application (VinylMaster?) using the Export .eps  & Import to functionality of both programs.

Let us know where this leads you.

@slice&dice  It appears that SignBlazerElements is not at that site anymore.  I will do a more thorough search for it, however.  Thanks

Edit: After doing a Google search for it, I get a site to download it, but the link is not there.  Evidently it is gone for now.,

@slice&dice  It appears that SignBlazerElements is not at that site anymore.  I will do a more thorough search for it, however.  Thanks

Edit: After doing a Google search for it, I get a site to download it, but the link is not there.  Evidently it is gone for now.,

I found a reference where bear...something had it on his web page and I was able to download and get it running.  Thanks.

Yeah, it's really hard to locate a good copy of the installer anymore, the whole program is Abandonware, and USCUTTER discontinued hosting their archived version.

I have fixed the broken hotlink that I offered to the SBE MediaFire download, I made an error when trying to do the linking, sorry.
If you desire to utilize SignBlazer for running the MH unit, just select RedSail as the model in cutter setup.
(Honestly, the VinylMasterCut is a well-developed --- and supported --- robust design/cut program, so if you've got that, stick with it.)

When the cut is done, I just use a pair of scissors to slice the vinyl off the roll. (I keep the blades of the scissors open slightly and run them across with the vinyl into the "v" ---  takes a bit of practice, but you'll get the hang of that).

Yeah, it's really hard to locate a good copy of the installer anymore, the whole program is Abandonware, and USCUTTER discontinued hosting their archived version.

When the cut is done, I just use a pair of scissors to slice the vinyl off the roll. (I keep the blades of the scissors open slightly and run them across with the vinyl into the "v" ---  takes a bit of practice, but you'll get the hang of that).

Thanks again,  I did get it downloaded after I found the reference in RedBear's ?? post where it was on his site.  I am using Cutter, now, but may use the Blazer Elements at some point.  

I basically did what you said about cutting the vinyl off of the roll.  I just need to get a pair of dedicated scissors for that. Ha!  

Now for the next question.  I think my cutting blade may still be extended a little bit too much.  I cut a decal of letters and numbers which did pretty well, but the "O" cut a little deep, going through the backing in a couple of places.  Everything else seemed to be OK.  Also, if there are pressure roller tracks in the vinyl, are they set to too much pressure?

Don't mess with the pressure rollers -- they will leave tracks, that's normal, and when applying the vinyl they'll vanish.

Adjust your FORCE using the keypad. What is it now set at?

Do you have a good picker tool to weed with?

Don't mess with the pressure rollers -- they will leave tracks, that's normal, and when applying the vinyl they'll vanish.

^*** Thanks, that's kind of what I thought

Adjust your FORCE using the keypad. What is it now set at?

**** I'm not sure but will check tomorrow when I get back out to the shop.

Do you have a good picker tool to weed with?

**** I am using a lite duty Exacto knife that came with the MH 871 starter kit.  

See answers under quotes

If you are cutting thru the wax paper backing then you have too much blade extended out of the blade holder. If the cutter was not cutting thru on the test cuts, then add more force.  The correct combo is less blade more force.  If the blade is set correctly, it is not possible to cut thru the wax paper backing. No matter how much force you use.

If you are cutting thru the wax paper backing then you have too much blade extended out of the blade holder. If the cutter was not cutting thru on the test cuts, then add more force.  The correct combo is less blade more force.  If the blade is set correctly, it is not possible to cut thru the wax paper backing. No matter how much force you use.

I finally got out to the shop.  The blade feels like a fine "sticker" when I rub my finger across it.  The "Force" is set to 200g and cut speed is 770mm/s. I thought the only place it cut through was the top right corner of the inside of the "O", however after closer examination of the wax paper after installing the stickers I saw where it cut through in a few other spots.  I will decrease the blade in the holder a little bit more and see what happens. 

I did find a couple of more lessons on what to watch out for.  I lost two of the radiation rings on the right of the tower.  When removing/weeding the vinyl, some got on the rings and there was no salvaging them from the sticky waste.  DETAILS!  Ha!  Other than that, I am satisfied with my first attempt at vinyl work.  

CALL SIGN.vDoc

Feeling the blade is not how you set it.  You cannot accurately feel 2-3 mil thickness. You take the blade holder out of the machine and firmly run the blade across the scrap vinyl you will be cutting,   The blade extended should just barely make a mark in the wax paper backing, If correct, the blade will not cut thru.  The blade holder should be down to the vinyl. Just enough gap between blade holder and vinyl so as not to rub on the vinyl.. Then you use the force to cut with. There are no set in stone settings for  vinyl cutters. You must fine tune each cutter, as they are all different. Even the same model.  Value cutters will take longer to fine tune. 

Walt, that is a sharp knife blade, even though it's tiny, you can cut your skin! There's even a WARNING label right on the front of the machine.

Keep an eye on little pieces of vinyl getting stuck inside the holder, you can push down on that 'button' at the top of the blade holder to clear, or take the whole unit apart. Taking out the blade and using a drop or two of sewing machine oil into the bearing is a good idea, too.

Lower that Force to 80 or 100 and see what you get. Like Skeetz says, you gotta dial in your particular unit to hit the sweet spot.

Thanks @slice&dice and @MZ SKEETER   I won't be able to check for a while as I tested positive for Covid today.  BAAAAA!   I set the blade but didn't get a chance to test it as I was feeling bad. As to cutting my finger with the blade, I was gentle and I also have some pretty tough finger tips.  I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade so my fingers are pretty rough. Ha!  I did use the vinyl cut test and when I get back to it will run the test to see about pressure setting.

Thanks and I am glad that at least two are still on this forum..

Yes, lower the pressure, but keep in mind, if the blade depth is set correctly, no matter how much pressure you use, it should never cut thru the vinyl wax paper backing.. it is not possible, when the blade exposed is less than 2-3 mil. (the thickness of the vinyl) That only means you have too much blade exposed out the blade holder.  That blade should be so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut at all. Then you use the force to cut with. Get some good Oracal vinyl.

I'd suggest slowing it down if you're having issues with details. I have a MH and typically only run around 150-200 mm/s. My pressure is usually around 150 as well.

• Like 1

A late welcome from N. Florida. Taking your time and practice, practice. Best of luck to you! These folks are a treasure trove of information. They are awesome.

• Like 1

Welcome from across the country in Idaho.

I agree with revious comments. Proper set-up (or rather the LACK of it) causes 99% of new user issues. Hand setting the blade depth like Skeeter explained is the first and most important, then dial in your pressure from a low number by small steps like 5g each step until it is cutting through the vinyl and just lightly making a mark on the carrier sheet. I usually suggest a speed setting at around 1/4 to 1/3 the may speed your machine is supposed to be capable of. If that max is 1000 mm/sec then 250 to 300 mm/sec I think most people run around the 170 to 200 mark. I even run that slow on my $3500 machine. going faster doesn't make the cut more accurate. In similar fasion going at the slowes speed may not yield the best results either. Just a nice consistent speed that will pull the blade around corners well. 

• Like 1

Again, Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.  I am just letting all know that I am still fighting Covid and haven't been able to get out to the shop to play with settings.  I have lots of info to try when I can get back to it.  Thanks again

Y-W.  We certainly hope you get over the 'rona, that disease is brutal, I know (had it twice already).
If you haven't done so, make out your will and leave the cutter to your best friend (kidding, but not kidding).

I set my cutter at full blast 800mm, never had a problem. To me, it's a turtle's pace, as I have seen those higher-quality servo cutters running at 1485mm/s. I can't complain, however, because my work flow is not so jam-packed that I suffer because of the extra time these stepper units take to complete jobs. But, in general, time is money, that's a truism, and explains why many people feel it's worthwhile to spend considerably more on Graphtecs, Mimakis, Rolands, Titan 2 & 3, etc. and let 'er rip !!!

By the way, since you're stuck doing basically nothing at home, here's a little (early) Christmas gift from me to you that you can mess around with using SignBlazer ----

https://www.fontspace.com/category/christmas,dingbats

• Like 1

A  big thank you to all who made suggestions and just welcomed me to the group.  

I finally got out to the shop and made another adjustment on the blade stick out and a couple of pressure adjustments.  I am now cutting vinyl at about 330 mm/s and force of 130g pressure.  It is cutting the vinyl and very seldom even marks the backing.  It is working well.  I made a couple of stickers 4 x 24"   It weeded fine.  Thanks again all.

• Like 1

Yes, getting the  blade depth and force correct is the most important thing to do first. it makes a world of difference for great, no problem cutting.   

• Like 1