haumana

Font & Softwares ...

So this is something I just ran into. I have a customer requesting basic text. When I enter the test in Graphic Studio (because I'm working on my Mac today), and then I did the same in Corel Draw. I'm getting two completely different dimensions, however, when I'm looking at the text in both programs, the proportions look identical. The kerning and text width seem to be spot on in both programs. There's a huge difference in font point sizes, even though the text are exactly the same measured height. Has anyone else ran into this? my mind in blown :blink:

Things like these are quite common when two programs with different unit preferences are used, or same program is used while installed on other than usual operating platforms.

Designs downloaded from the internet especially eps and ai files when opened into programs scale differently as they are saved with units "px"

Sometimes these text have the strokes added to it in order to make them extra bold. They change the sizes when these strokes play up

That is one of the main reasons I always prefer to work with silhouettes instead of text versions while cutting. It is an extra bit of work but worth it in the end

You best bet would be to keep a couple of sizes handy from the customer and as you import the text or silhuoettes, scale them to the sizes

So this is something I just ran into. I have a customer requesting basic text. When I enter the test in Graphic Studio (because I'm working on my Mac today), and then I did the same in Corel Draw. I'm getting two completely different dimensions, however, when I'm looking at the text in both programs, the proportions look identical. The kerning and text width seem to be spot on in both programs. There's a huge difference in font point sizes, even though the text are exactly the same measured height. Has anyone else ran into this? my mind in blown :blink:

I'm a little confused, you say the kerning and text width seem to be spot on and you say the the text are exactly the same height, so what is different?

I'm a little confused, you say the kerning and text width seem to be spot on and you say the the text are exactly the same height, so what is different?

I think she means that by the time she gets them to be the same size the font point size (like 12pt or 24pt) are drastically different. 

human, I have seen similar between programs so I suspect it's something within one or both programs and how they interpret the data to produce the text. For instance when I had my beta version of SCALP it was set up to cut from live text without having to do any outlining compared to SignCut Pro which expects that to be done ahead of time. Similarly I have an embroidery digitizing program and within that you start with a basic font size such as 1.00 which is a true inch height in that program and then if you want to you can grab the handles and stretch it or compress it to fit a given size constraint yet the program still considers this the 1.00 even though it may actually have been heavily modified. I have to be careful when doing this that I go back and actually type new text for the next file if I am building personalized names or something because if I just erase the letters and change the name for the new file they will retain that morphed size. Not the same thing you are seeing but shows that programs may treat font size and other characters differently within their circle of influence. 

Yup. So, for example, a word in Corel - 4" in height (and 4.873" wide) is 338.491pts. The same word in Graphtec Studio is 2.892" wide and 184.1pts.

At the same height, I'm getting very different widths, which the results only become much more pronounced the more words/letters that are in it. No stretching, or adjusting to the width or kerning.

I find the pts difference interesting, but fairly inconsequential, as when I do text, it need to be measured in height either in centimeters or inches. What truly baffles me is the difference in width, because it is vastly different.

Interesting, seems like something is wrong someplace. What does the font look like in other programs?

Yup. So, for example, a word in Corel - 4" in height (and 4.873" wide) is 338.491pts. The same word in Graphtec Studio is 2.892" wide and 184.1pts.

At the same height, I'm getting very different widths, which the results only become much more pronounced the more words/letters that are in it. No stretching, or adjusting to the width or kerning.

I find the pts difference interesting, but fairly inconsequential, as when I do text, it need to be measured in height either in centimeters or inches. What truly baffles me is the difference in width, because it is vastly different.

Give a check when you type something in one software whether it comes with a stroke added by itself or not. Nearly all the times when the files are transferred from one software to the other, the default stroke from one software is picked up by the other as an extra width. The same thing happens when the same image is traced in different softwares. I use illustrator and it has the default stroke set to 0.25 mm or 0.01 inches. So whenever I type something or trace an image, it adds it up by the default and it comes to play when I transfer the file in flexi Sign for cutting.

Give a check when you type something in one software whether it comes with a stroke added by itself or not. Nearly all the times when the files are transferred from one software to the other, the default stroke from one software is picked up by the other as an extra width. The same thing happens when the same image is traced in different softwares. I use illustrator and it has the default stroke set to 0.25 mm or 0.01 inches. So whenever I type something or trace an image, it adds it up by the default and it comes to play when I transfer the file in flexi Sign for cutting.

I don't think I've ever run into stroke widths being an issue when it comes to fonts. But I will fire up a few different programs on PC and Mac and test out the varied font situation. I was also under the impression that font pts. were somewhat fixed - with an approximation of 72pts = (roughly) 1 inch. 

I don't think I've ever run into stroke widths being an issue when it comes to fonts. But I will fire up a few different programs on PC and Mac and test out the varied font situation. I was also under the impression that font pts. were somewhat fixed - with an approximation of 72pts = (roughly) 1 inch. 

It may not if you are using the same software to create the file as well as cut it. But if using different software, different version of the same software or importing the format from the internet, then these stroke3 widths may cause an issue. After all, we never come to know what preferences the supplier has set on his/her software for the files