MrsPib

How do I set a Graphtec machine's scale in Graphtec Pro Studio software?

How do I successfully set a Graphtec machine's cutting scale in Graphtec Pro Studio, or Graphtec Pro Studio Production Manager?

File object (Imported .AI file): 1284mm-length (for sake of the full picture, think a long, thin rectangle cut out of cast vinyl)

Machine #1, CE7000-60: Cuts a 1283mm-length piece

Machine #2, FC9000-75: Cuts a 1285.5mm-length piece

In Graphtec Pro Studio, I tried Arrange - Resize - Adjust% (zero effect)

In Graphtec Pro Studio Production Manager, I tried Select Cutter - Setup - Output Size Compensation - Measure/Input physical cuts - Enable Output Size Compensation (FC had very jagged, unusable cuts, like it was forgetting to scale then jumping back to scaling further down on the cut).

What I'm looking for: A long-term option similar to VinylMaster LTR - Vinyl Spooler - Calibration - Cutter Scale - where the scale data will be stored for each cutter and applied each time that cutter is used. I'm not looking to switch away from Graphtec Pro Studio unless it's a fact that this type of feature does not exist in the Graphtec software.

Thank you for reading!

The easiest way in Graphtec Pro Studio, is to make a small rectangle in the layout screen  like 3" x 3"   Select cut plot. wait for screen to open, Go to PROPERTIES upper LEFT corner,  Click Properties, DEFAULT JOB PROPERTIES Comes up. At the very top of that there is a picture of a blade. select it. At the top of that screen is STEP SIZE.  Start at 1016. Choose, APPLY then  OK.   Now cut your  3" x 3" and measure it. It should be 3" x 3",  If not, adjust your step size until it is. Do the same for every cutter if using Graphtec Pro Studio.  STEP size is the output size. That is how many steps in an inch that you are telling your cutter to cut. 

graphtec step size.jpg

While setting different step sizes will change the size of cuts in many plotters that has not been my experience with the CE7000 series.  Instead step size works like resolution where setting higher values results in slower but more accurate cuts when cutting designs with fine details.

@MrsPib I think the setting you are looking for is "Distance Adjust".  Which graphtec describes as: "DISTANCE ADJUST value corrects any deviation in the length of cut or plotted line segments, which occurs depending on the media being used. DISTANCE ADJUST value for the deviation is specified as a percentage of the total distance. For example, a setting of +0.05% adjusts a distance of 2 m (2,000 mm) by 2,000 x 0.05% = 1 mm, making 2,001 mm. DISTANCE ADJUST can be specified for each CONDITION No."

You can find the "Distance Adjust" setting in the cond/test menu on the plotter.

Step size, traditionally refers to the amount of movement for a single step of a stepper motor. Plotters with solenoid motors really shouldn't use the term step size for anything, it can cause confusion. In this case, the "steps" they are referring to is how the software breaks down curves. Curves are really just a bunch of really short straight lines, the shorter the line the smoother the curve.

What I showed above is definition Resolution  From Graphtec Pro Studio.  This software is only for a Graphtec vinyl cutter, which has a servo. Resolution in steps/in, is their definition, always has been.  Graphtec Pro Studio is designed by SAI , Flexi software.   From tutorial inside Graphtec Pro Studio, for this feature.   I have only used Flexi software or Graphtec Pro Studio software, and Resolution is what controls the output size of my designs on my Graphtec cutter.

resolution.jpg