Sign in to follow this  
Sweetsassy85

Sc2 Cutter inconsistent and Rarely completed shapes of cut.

So I am using a SC2 series that cut perfectly until I moved it. It'll cut the whole file but it will not close any of the shapes. 
I have changed the blade. 
I have played with the offset and no help so I put it back on its .25 setting. 
I have adjusted the overcut from 2 all the way up to 2.6 and that was no help.  
the first two photos just look where my finger is pointing when you click on them. 
the last photo you can see how each letter shape is different. 
I had it print the orientation test. But cannot find how to run a test and it printed the number to correctly out of all 4 numbers. It could have been dumb luck though. 

805443B8-4BB8-4D55-8395-1E19DA9AC6A0.jpeg

7E039A49-525E-4A5E-A4B6-A95170021646.jpeg

2F2BE4E8-A8FA-40DE-9D21-B3CEF90CE05F.jpeg

You stated you changed the blade, how did you set the blade depth?  it has to be correct before any other settings can be adjusted. This is the correct way.   Also run your test from the TEST feature right on the machine.  Is it correct? Show photos.  Perfect triangle and square?   Also is the carriage head wheels firmly down in the track.?  They must be. (You stated you moved the machine)

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

I haven't changed the blade depth.  I will try it. The only "TEST" of the machine I could find to run was the offset.  I did force test through the spot I could find it (pics included) where it just cuts.  Add circled are two of the spots where it didn't finish.  You have to look closely it's hard to get the picture 
I will try changing blade depth 

4624A2F5-A11C-48B7-A439-EDD1E593866C.jpeg

575401E4-67F1-4E90-B65E-42A0CD1DC4C8.jpeg

D464AC32-124A-4183-9AAF-CC9F78EC5B7E.jpeg

As I stated the TEST feature is on your machine. Look at the Control panel.  There is a TEST button.  You run your TESTS from there.  You always have to set the blade depth correctly before you even can run your vinyl cutter. That is part of the set up.  Set the blade depth correctly as I stated. 

SC2.jpg

Make sure you haven't broken the blade tip off.  . Back the blade so far into the holder, that you think it would not even cut. You shouldn't even hardly see the tip at all.   That TEST has to be correct first. Perfect square, perfect triangle.   How long have you owned this cutter?   Look at gouges or scrapes in the cutting strip.  

You use the force of the machine to cut with, Using the least amount of blade possible.  What kind of vinyl is that?  And how old is it?

There is no set pressure numbers for any vinyl cutter. .  Pressure force is determined by how you set the blade depth.   You set the blade depth as I stated above, By taking the blade holder out of the machine and pulling it firmly  across the scrap vinyl that you will be cutting. Barely making a mark in the wax paper backing.And not cutting thru the backing. Then put blade holder back in machine, use the force, same thing, barely making a mark in wax paper backing. Did you do that?

too hard to see on that color of vinyl and angle of picture.   try making some small rectangles with the rectangle tool and see if you can get them correct. With blade offset and overcut.   Also Calibrate your cutter first to your software.  Cut a smaller square like 3" x 3" and make sure it is exactly 3" x 3" after cutting.  That cutter scale is in Vinyl Master

We are just volunteers here.  There are many threads and posts. here that you can read. But the main thing is getting the blade depth correct. Then you adjust the rest of the settings. 

You said it was working properly before you moved it. Did you check to see if the carriage rollers are riding on the track properly? One good bump could knock them off the track. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

You might also double check that there is no "play" in the grit roller. I have heard of some cutters (don't recall the specific cutter model) occasionally having a set screw get loose and allowing some play from forward to back etc... This could account for a gap. 

I haven't checked the carriage rollers. I didn't want to go picking things apart and make it worse I will check those and any lose screws. It's worth a shot because yes it cut perfectly... until i moved it 

15 hours ago, Sweetsassy85 said:

I haven't checked the carriage rollers. I didn't want to go picking things apart and make it worse I will check those and any lose screws. It's worth a shot because yes it cut perfectly... until i moved it 

The carriage rollers are on the carriage head that holds the blade holder. Nothing to pick apart.  Make sure they are firmly down in the track. Make sure nothing is in the track and that the carriage moves smoothly along the track. Make sure nothing is in the blade holder. like tiny pieces of vinyl.  Is the cutter on a stand?  Make sure it is all level. Wildgoose is talking about the grit rollers which are below the pinch rollers. 

It does the same level on the table and bolted to the stand. But after much inspection. The blade lifts up before the cut is done.  And there's nothing different to the file. It's same file I've used before completely closed shape.  

Try a different trial of cutting software.  Did you by any chance choose a different cutter  brand in your cutting software?  Did you ever calibrate the cutter to the software in cutter scale?  Make squares and measure them.  

Calibrated the cutter scale. They were right size.   
correct brand is selected. 
You say try a different software.. however. I use the TEST button on the machine too and it still lifts too early. 

Did you look at the blade tip under a magnifying glass and make sure the tip has not broken off.? Try a different blade. I have never heard of anyone on here using a pressure so low as 18, which still makes me think you still have too much blade exposed. Too much blade exposed will cause that problem.  Back the blade in the holder till it will not cut at all, and then go from there. Just a hair out until it cuts. Then raise your force to make deeper cuts, not cutting thru the wax paper backing., and barely a mark on the wax paper backing. Make sure the blade holder hasn't broken or have a crack in it.  Nothing more that I can think of. 

Get down eye level with the blade holder bottom. Push the blade holder down to the vinyl and look. There should just barely be a sliver of light between the vinyl and bottom of the blade holder. And the blade should not be going into the back of the vinyl. It is less blade more force.