Guest NicoleB

Object Width not Accurate

Guest NicoleB

I need my font to be 6 inches tall. I found that the PHYSICAL height needs to be set to 6.0 to achieve this (not the object height). When I set the physical height to 6, you can see the object height is shown at 6.209. I'm not really sure what the purpose of this value is, as it is not accurate because when I do the cut, it's 6 inches tall. Here's my problem. I need to be able to tell my customer how wide the text will be. The shown value of 31.027 is also not correct.  When I cut this image it was 6"H but 30.93"W not 31.027 like the software said. How do I get an accurate object width to give to my client?  I need them to approve it before I cut.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 10.54.47.png

The text height setting and the actual height setting are not the same thing. The text height accounts for letters like g that hang below the bottom of the letters. Although this particular font, I would expect the text height and the actual height to be the same. I've never understood the point of that setting, I'm assuming it comes from an older type set mind set when people had to manually pace the dies in the printers.

If you cut this image and it was 6" high, then you have a scaling issue and need to calibrate your software/cutter. The image should have cut at 6.2" tall and 31" wide.

Letters like S and O, U, C wil not be the same height as the T, A, N, I, L, etc.
The rounded tops and bottoms will be slightly beyond the 'straight' edges of squared-off letters.

This has nothing to do with what you're experiencing, but is just good info to keep in mind anyway.

In any case, the instructions within the above tutorial video show how to calibrate the 'Cutter Scale"  (11:30 timestamp)

• Like 1

@darcshadow I don't think it's a scaling/calibration issue, because if I cut an image, say a square and I set the height and width to say 4.1, my titan cuts it to exactly 4.1x4.1.  This only seems to be an issue with text, where I have to enter the height I want into the PHYSICAL size box, rather than the size drop down that is on the left side.  And while that is not a problem per se, it's just that I have no way of knowing the exact width unless I actually cut it.  So when I set the physical height of the font to 6, and it shows the selected object (value on left) as 6.2H and 31.027 W and my cut comes up just short of the 31.027, I do believe that to be an accurate (calibrated) cut, because it's actually cutting according the the 6, and so of course it won't be 31.027 wide, because the 31.027 value is based on a height of 6.2.  My cut came to 30.93. Which for personal use, I don't care if its 30.93 vs 31.027, but when I am sending a proof to a customer and say its 31.027, it can't be 30.93.  Hope that wasn't confusing. Bottom line, when I cut a shape, the titan does cut to the exact measurement I have entered. This is only a problem with text.

I cannot imagine that a discrepancy if 1/100th of an inch will be of any consequence whatsoever. What type of client are you working with that is so pedantic? There's an old saying "Close enuf for gubmint work..."

Somethings not right there. The number on the left is what it should cut to. Try this. draw a box that is 6.209x31.027 and center it on your text. The text should fill the box and touch the edges. Now cut it and measure the size of the box. If it cuts at 6" tall your calibration is off.

I added the box and the S and O touch but the T U D I do not.  When I cut the text on my titan I only measured the T by hand (because it was the easiest to measure) and it measured 6.0 (like I had set for the physical size). I did not measure the other letters. So I did just now since I see they are not touching the box on the screen. The TUDI are all 6.0 but the S and O are both 6.2.  So I guess if I wanted the largest letter to be 6.0 I'll set that on the left side knowing that the smaller value on the right will only be for some of the letters.  I just didn't think by using all caps that there would be a difference in the letter height.  Thanks for the help.

Nicole, I explained there was a difference in letter height two days ago. Apparently you didn't read it.

I agree with Slice that many letters are not the same height. I think I read somewhere that usually the height is associated with Capital A but can't confirm this. I always use a box the size I want my text to double check regardless of settings. Most font's have letters that are different heights slightly and I have sometimes adjusted them thinking it would look better but it usually makes them look slightly off. Those people who build fonts know their stuff and visually appealing does not always = exactness. Sort of similar to how some words look better when visually centered vs exactly centered when in stacked word art. There ARE fonts that run true such as M54 jersey fonts etc... but most have some minor height differences that make little difference in the end. 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.