Sign in to follow this  
mistwist

FC 8600-75 Not retracting cross cut and tries to cross cut with cut blade

This started not long after I got the FC8600-75, 30 days ago, at first it as intermittent. After cutting and it would not retract the cross cut blade and drag across as it came back ruining a piece of vinyl. More recently, the last week, it has gone from intermittently to every cross cut it is not retracting the crosscut blade AND it has started to occasionally try to use the cut blade for cross cuts. The dealer thought the machine was having a static issue, it is now grounded but the problem persists.

Due to its progressive nature I am leaning towards screw somewhere is loose and getting looser. It makes all the right noises and you think ok it worked right this time, only to look and nope the CC blade is still down.

I have sent to support requests to Graphtec one a month ago, one more this week, no response.

The cutter head needs to be going all the way over to the left side, so that the post  on the frame goes into the cutter head and trips the cross cutter, so that it raises.. It does that, when it measures the width of the vinyl.  Take the carriage head cover off and watch it.   I bought a Graphtec FC dirt cheap for that problem.  They didn't know how to fix it. 

5 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The cutter head needs to be going all the way over to the left side, so that the post  on the frame goes into the cutter head and trips the cross cutter, so that it raises.. It does that, when it measures the width of the vinyl.  Take the carriage head cover off and watch it.   I bought a Graphtec FC dirt cheap for that problem.  They didn't know how to fix it. 

The head goes all the way over and even "clicks" when the probe goes inside. So it sounds like it does when it works correctly. But it doesn't retract the cut blade. it sarted out as maybe 1 in 20 cuts I would have a problem, not is pretty much every cut I have to rescue my vinyl from being wasted.

I only use my cross cutter manually after the cutter is turned off. and I don't premeasure the width of my vinyl.  I disabled media sensor day 1. Make sure the knob is tight holding the blade.   Did you ever take the cover off and watch it? 

6 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I only use my cross cutter manually after the cutter is turned off. and I don't premeasure the width of my vinyl.  I disabled media sensor day 1. Make sure the knob is tight holding the blade.   Did you ever take the cover off and watch it? 

I need to be able to let it run overnight, so I have to use cross cut to keep jobs separate. I should say want to let it run overnight, I haven't been able to yet because of this issue, I have to babysit it. No I have not taken the cover off as it is still under warranty and I don't want to screw up the warranty I am obviously going to need. Were I to find someone that has gone through this and fixed it I definitely would because graphtec support is of little use at this point.

Run over night?  Never heard of such a thing. Or anyone ever doing it. Personally, I would not run my cutter unattended for that kind of time.   Have you seen these cross cutter reset instructions?  I know it says to take off the carriage head cover, to reset this, BUT I don't know of anyone except yourself to fix this. It is not going to magically fix it's self. ::).  Or take it to a Graphtec repair shop. 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Run over night?  Never heard of such a thing. Or anyone ever doing it. Personally, I would not run my cutter unattended for that kind of time.   Have you seen these cross cutter reset instructions?  I know it says to take off the carriage head cover, to reset this, BUT I don't know of anyone except yourself to fix this. It is not going to magically fix it's self. ::).  Or take it to a Graphtec repair shop. 

Well I knew it wasn't going to fix itself. I was hoping that graphtec had a reputible tech in my area, like Roland. After I reached out to graphtec and got no response I reached out to the USCutter again and they contacted graphtec for me and  eventually someone called and we walked through the fix. Now we will see if it sticks. This got progressively worse as time went on so I suspect it will do it again.  Though your video in not exactly how they stepped though it, but the end results are the same.

I really wish someone at Graphtec and all these other companies would learn SEO so when someone is having an issue the problem would actually comes up in search results, it really isn't hard to use Cross cutter not retracting in the title, considering it is a common issue, and would save them a ton of time not responding...SMH

As for letting it run at night, we used do it all the time, your volume must not be very high, it takes us a month to get ready for a big show at 8 hours or more a day. This cuts that in half.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 2:53 PM, mistwist said:

As for letting it run at night, we used do it all the time, your volume must not be very high, it takes us a month to get ready for a big show at 8 hours or more a day. This cuts that in half.

Totally different types of orders. My niche' is large detailed graphics, mostly 20-27" wide x up to 16 ft. L.  I don't need volume. I make great money on less orders and work less. Highly detailed large graphics sell at premium prices. Having a large width Graphtec with the tracking, accurate cuts and memory, gives me the upper hand over people trying to compete with value cutters.  The only small decals that I make is from left over scraps to use up. I started from the git go on very large detailed graphics for 16 years now.  I sell online only.  I am pre-paid for my orders and nothing is cut ahead of time. 

If you really want service info. That is available online.  The service manuals for Graphtec cutters, have been up for years.  Not user manuals, SERVICE manuals.  The 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1977422/Graphtec-Fc8600-60.html?page=1#manual

• Like 1

Before I started using plastisol screen print transfers I did many many left chest sized HTV copies and often set my Summa to run as I went to bed. It would cut a whole roll through the night (a couple times a whole 50yd roll) and be waiting there for me when I got up. I get smart later and only pull that sort of thing in dire emegencies now that I have found out about the plastisol option but I get the OP's point about letting it work while you're taking a break. 

• Like 1