Guest John Binner

WIndow Graphic for jeep

Guest John Binner

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the best way to do this. :( I have VM DSR V5.0. I have acquired the 2017 jeep outline images to full scale. I have US Flag svg files.

What I am trying to do for my son, is make rear-quarter window stickers that fill the entire window. The issue is, the vehicle outline I have found does not have a "separate" window area; rather they include the side window(s) as ONE part of the image and I cannot break them apart to use tools to overlay the flag into the window opening.

Am I just better off cutting and weeding the flag, hinging it on the window and cutting by hand to fit the window? I have to be missing a way to make this happen. :( thanks in advance.

Jeep windows are pretty square, right? I would take measurements and size the decal to be about 1/8" too big then put it on and trim it to fit.

What about drawing a shape (rectangle?) that covers the selected area of this window?

Then, bring in your flag graphic, and size it to that.

When I'm doing work on store windows (decals), this is my method. I take a head-on photo of the store, and make sure I know the dimensions of something specific in the photo (the width of the glass door, for instance). In my design program, I'll import the picture, and then draw a rectangle over it at the proper size of that measurement, and enlarge the image to match that drawn box (resulting in a 100% full-sized scale of the storefront) which allows me to then design a decal to fit.

• Like 1

I would cut it an inch or so wide and hand trim like you said. That way it will match really tight. You can cut right on glass without too much worry if you don't push too hard. 

Another option is to use a piece of app tape to make a template. Apply the tape (low tack) and then pull it up and reinstall it on top of the vinyl or even over the real app tape as a second layer to trim to. I saw similar on a youtube with a guy maing a decal for the side of a jeep hood and it worked real sweet to make a curved peice fit well. 

My dad once told me there are 10 ways to do a job and 7 or 8 of them are right. 

• Haha 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.