Sign in to follow this  
MrXray

Two Recent Issues w/ my LaserPoint 2

Hi everyone....
I have owned and used this LP2 for a number of years on a recreational basis.  Recently i have had a few issues pop up that are really annoying

1.  When cutting 15" vinyl the left side tends to lift up (and "bubble" for lack of a better term) while cutting even though the blade has not traveled past the material.  I can only assume it's because the blade may not be lifting high enough to clear the material.  any ideas or suggestions on what is causing it and how to avoid this?

2. This one is not new..... but I figured I'm here   Might as well ask

If I want to make a 10" decal or in one case I was making a pc to fit in a 12" area to fit a project perfect.  after cutting the result was a little smaller.  I then noticed everything i made was smaller than the size programmed.  Is there a way to calibrate the machine so it is accurate in its cutting sizes.  I made a vinyl to apply to a child's growth stick and it was not accurate.

Thanks in advance for any help with these issues.  It will save time and money avoiding re-cuts

Ray

Calibration for input>output sizes> in in your cutting software, 

No mention how you have set your blade depth, too many instructions stating to use a credit card or post it notes,  these are wrong and 10 times too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. Check for gouges or scratches in your cutting strip. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

On 6/14/2022 at 1:48 AM, MrXray said:

1.  When cutting 15" vinyl the left side tends to lift up (and "bubble" for lack of a better term) while cutting even though the blade has not traveled past the material.  I can only assume it's because the blade may not be lifting high enough to clear the material.  any ideas or suggestions on what is causing it and how to avoid this?

Is your media tenting? If so, check your pinch rollers, and make sure that they are evenly spaced from each edge (ie. 1" from the right and 1" from the left). 

Does it tent on all material, or just specific material and/or width? Is the material fairly flat? I have material that has a slight curled at the width edges - which makes me totally crazy, because I can really only use it on small cuts or use it on a cutting mat. How far does the material jog back and forth before it tents? Are you leaving enough slack in your material for the entire job? Material should never be pulled directly from the roll under tension.

Another is the possibility that the pinch rollers are out of balance in terms of tension (ie. one has more tension than the other), and/or the rubber on the pinch roller is hardened so it doesn't grip like it should, and/or it could be slightly out of round - like there might be a flat spot(s) because it's not kept in the "up" position when the machine is not in use. It's usually not recommended that the tension be adjusted on the pinch rollers, but do what you think you need to do to fix it. Although, another alternative is to order another set of pinch rollers.

You can also try slowing the cut speed, so it will slow the jog speed. 

Keep us posted.