OsageTorch

Marks where blade starts

Hello all,

I've tried searching the forums, but I'm not quite sure what to call this defect. It happens where the blade begins and ends a cut. It was not previously a problem, and calibrating the offset and blade pressure helped, but it has not gone away completely. 

I'm using a Laserpoint 2 and Vinylmaster software.

Screenshot_20220527-120335_Sell on Etsy.jpg

Blade depth is the most important thing that you have to get correct first.  That looks to be cutting from the side.  look at your test cuts from the machine with the TEST feature.  Also add a drop of light oil in the blade holder and make sure the blade is spinning freely. No little pieces of vinyl in the blade holder. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

Thank you for your advice.

I have the blade set to where I can barely see it. So much so that I'm having to increase the pressure to 120g and it's still not cutting quite deep enough. I've checked the blade for debris, and it is spinning freely. What kind of oil do you recommend? 

I am using the blades that came with the machine when I purchased it second-hand. Could it be an issue of poor-quality blades? 

I have been using this machine for about 3 months without this issue, and as far as I know, nothing has changed to cause it to suddenly start. 

Raise the force til it does cut good. There are no set in stone settings to set up a vinyl cutter.  Even the same models can be different. You add the force until it cuts good, it is all trial and error. Only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in the wax paper backing, using the least amount of blade possible. Most value cutters have between 300-450  force. If the blade is set correctly. you cannot cut thru the wax paper backing anyway.  The correct combo is less blade, more force. So that you are only cutting with the blade tip.  When you have problems always start with setting a new blade.  Just 3-1 oil is fine, sewing machine oil, Just a light oil.  Also check your teflon cutting strip for scratches or gouges,  They will cause you problems. If there is some, replace the cutting strip.  You have never shown what the TEST cut looks like from the TEST feature on the machine.  That has to be correct first before cutting any design. It probably has the square and triangle,  They have to be perfect cuts. What do they look like?  Show some photos, can't help without seeing TEST results.  I don't use high quality blades on my cutter.  5 for $24.  I don't have problems like that. It starts at getting your TEST cut correct first.  Make sure that you always have enough vinyl slack to do the entire order, never be pulling from the vinyl roll while cutting. Check and made sure there are not any cracks in the carriage arm or that the blade holder isn't damaged in some way. Make sure the upper rail where the wheels of the carriage head is clean and that the wheels are down in the track and moving left to right freely. You are welcome. 

You also never mentioned the cutter speed, run slow until you get this figured out.  I never run my cutter fast, as most the time I am cutting and answering questions on here. I mostly cut long graphics, that travel 8-16 ft cutting. 

Thanks for all the advice. I've done everything suggested here. I replaced the cutting strip, oiled the blade, checked the carriage and wheels, adjusted the offset and overcurrent. 

I have it set to cut as slow as it will. Ironically, the test cut comes out a tad cleaner when it's sped up.

This test cut was done today after all those adjustments and a brand new blade. The issue I'm having has improved, but as you can see, it has not been completely fixed. 

20220710_124400.jpg

20220710_124516.jpg

Appears that blade is not spinning freely. Try a new blade holder, that is the only thing I can think of.

Nope, I've tried it with 3 different blade holders. I guess I'm going to have to call support, because I can't figure this out to save my life :-\

picture above of the test cut shows an offset issue - corners are not sharp in the box nor the diamond

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 10:57 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

picture above of the test cut shows an offset issue - corners are not sharp in the box nor the diamond

I have tried every offset setting I can. I never get sharp corners in the box or diamond. But it does skew the starting and stopping point of the blade.

24 minutes ago, OsageTorch said:

I have tried every offset setting I can. I never get sharp corners in the box or diamond. But it does skew the starting and stopping point of the blade.

what numbers did you start with on blade offset?  Been awhile... Did you ever calibrate the cutter to the cutting software?  Like cut a square  4" x 4" and it is actually 4" x 4"?   

Yes, I have calibrated the cutting scale. And I have the offset at .4 and that gives me nice sharp corners on my text. The black picture is the test feature on the cutter. The red vinyl was me using vinylmaster to draw a square and diamond, and it came out perfectly. No settings changes between these two pictures. 

Can't see it in the picture, but I still get the inconsistent start, stop cuts. Sometimes worse than others. It happens on everything, it's definitely not a vector problem. 

20220731_132554.jpg

20220731_143345.jpg

time for a new cutter, as much time as you have spent on that.  My opinion, throw a Graphtec on your order and don't look back.  

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

time for a new cutter, as much time as you have spent on that.  My opinion, throw a Graphtec on your order and don't look back.  

Eek! Unfortunately we just bought a new laser, so a new cutter is out of the question until that's paid off  

I'll just keep working at it, until I hopefully find a solution

Thanks for all your help everyone. I appreciate y'all