cousinit75

Getting more than outline cut

Hi I was told this was not possible but Im stubborn so I kept going and I have got to this stage. I have managed something like a fill path for my cutter, however how do I get rid of the excess lines outside the image? I have an outline duplicate of the image to be laid over the top, if that helps. Hope I've made sense.

SIGNBLAZER LINED KITA.JPG

I'm not sure there is a tool to do it directly in SB but what I would do, turn the outline into a solid so that it covers the entire design. Next draw a box that covers everything outside the design that you don't want. Punch the design out of the square, then punch the square out of the entire image. That should leave you with only the part of the image you want.

Although somewhat tedious, it would be possible to go into Node Edit and delete all the excess stuff around the dog image.

I would do similar to darcshadow and reintroduce the original dog shape (just the outline).  Maybe offset the line a pen width outside the original edge so you don't kill the negative space you have so laboriously created.  Then you can use the same line (or a copy paste of it) to crop out all the outer lines. 

Thanks all I will try those and keep you updated my intention is to use my cutter to produce scratch foil pics of pets and needed a way to do more than just an outline.

20 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I'm not sure there is a tool to do it directly in SB but what I would do, turn the outline into a solid so that it covers the entire design. Next draw a box that covers everything outside the design that you don't want. Punch the design out of the square, then punch the square out of the entire image. That should leave you with only the part of the image you want.

darcshadow when you say turn the outline into a solid . Which outline do you mean? and how do I turn the outline into a solid,thanks

I don't have SB with me so I can't tell you exactly right now. In Inkscape, the process would be to "break apart" the image which would result in a solid image that can then be used with the intersect command. Although if we take a step or two back in your process all you should have to do is do an intersect command with the original image and the lines image. 

Here's an example of how I would do it in Inkscape. I have created an image of stripes and I have the tiger image.image.png.318d16710c6c946dad4bd31782ff0d4a.png

Next I'll move the tiger image over the stripes.

image.png.d9a67e41a5f9774a9319dc756613caa5.png

Then select both images and use the Intersect command

image.png.74fb5c73639422838c8235f23a20c542.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I don't have SB with me so I can't tell you exactly right now. In Inkscape, the process would be to "break apart" the image which would result in a solid image that can then be used with the intersect command. Although if we take a step or two back in your process all you should have to do is do an intersect command with the original image and the lines image. 

Here's an example of how I would do it in Inkscape. I have created an image of stripes and I have the tiger image.

Excellent quick tutorial!

On 4/26/2022 at 2:00 PM, darcshadow said:

Here's an example of how I would do it in Inkscape. I have created an image of stripes and I have the tiger image.image.png.318d16710c6c946dad4bd31782ff0d4a.png

Thanks I will try that, here is what I have came up with so far.

FOR US CUTTER.JPG

4 hours ago, slice&dice said:

That'll buff right out.

:lol:

Looks like you're on the right track, just matter of tuning things.

This is what I have now. Its just a matter of getting the foil to be even all over as it seems to dip in places then the engrave tool won't touch it.The one on the far left is the recent one.

20220430_114901.jpg

Have you tried setting your blade correctly like you should for vinyl?  I wouldn't think it would vary that much.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

On 4/30/2022 at 5:51 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Have you tried setting your blade correctly like you should for vinyl?  I wouldn't think it would vary that much.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

The blade for cutting the vinyl is  not in the machine I do not use any blade that I use for vinyl for this. This is a tool deigned for a cricut machine that I wanted to see if it can be utilized in this machine. And as it turns out it can. However just getting the foil to be completely flat as can be is giving me the issues causing the embossing tool to miss parts and not others. There is a very fine fine line with this between just scraping the foil and no more to punching a whole straight through it, I would say its even less forgiving than the vinyl.

I do think the actual image needs some tweeking before the hatch lines go in just to make it less messy looking. But so far I'm pleased with the result, also I think a few more lines introduced will fill out the image more so its even less of an outline. 

On 4/26/2022 at 2:00 PM, darcshadow said:

darcshadow, can I ask how did you create the stripes and how did you select the image and stripes I am trying to just draw a box over them both but this doesn't seem to be working? Thanks

The stripes are just thin rectangles that I cloned. I then merged them all into one object. After I got done with it, I decided it probably would have been easier to create the stripes vertical or horizontal. The cloning process is easier that way. Then if you really want them rotated just do that after you merge them.

• Like 1

Ok, think I have that side of it worked out . Do I just draw a box around the stripes and the image then before I intersect?

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

The stripes are just thin rectangles that I cloned. I then merged them all into one object. After I got done with it, I decided it probably would have been easier to create the stripes vertical or horizontal. The cloning process is easier that way. Then if you really want them rotated just do that after you merge them.