MikeTX

MH - 721 Detection Issue

I just pulled my old MH-721 out of the box and wanted to test that it still runs.  I'm trying to use a USB A to USB B cable.  Vinylmaster claims it doesnt detect it.

Any information on what i should do next?

Thanks in advance.

check the comport that it was assigned to, and make sure it matches in VM.

• Like 1

Well i would believe it should auto detect seeing that its on a USB port.  Unfortunately it does not detect it

Did you download the FTDI driver for your computer operating system?  A value cutter does not have TRUE USB, like higher end cutters.  You must download the driver and install it,  Then reboot your computer. Then look in your computer device manager and see which com port number it installed to.  1-4. Nothing higher.  Then go into your cutting software and choose the same com port number.  They must match. 

Go down this page. After the video. For another way to connect. 

https://support.uscutter.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037539072-MH-Series-Setup-and-Instructional-Video

• Like 1

Can't relay on autodetect, and even if it does work, windows will auto detect it as a comm port you'll still have to tell your software what port it is. The usb interface on a MH is nothing more than a cheap USB to serial adapter.

• Like 1

I had an issue a while back with the USB com not correctly appearing, and I download & installed a thing called VCP  (virtual com port) which allowed my computer to display the cutter's USB port correctly and show up in the Connect To  list.

STM32   (free, but you need to give them your email to download)

On 2/21/2022 at 2:43 PM, MikeTX said:

Well i would believe it should auto detect seeing that its on a USB port.  Unfortunately it does not detect it

In a perfect world, that would be great :D. Unfortunately, I learned a while ago, that when it comes to my cutters, never to rely on anything auto detecting, even if it appears to be a feature in the software. I will always manually select the appropriate comport.

I do wish it was more intuitive and it could just be a total plug and play thing, but the tech on the cutters is so far behind any current operating system. It is truly a fairly simple machine, just dressed up and all fancy on the new ones :P

The tech on cutters is literally from the 1950's  ---  when in 1953 the first x-y-z plotters were made by Remington-Rand, and used in conjunction with the UNIVAC computer to create technical drawings! Hewlett Packard then developed pen-based plotting units and HPGL (HewlettPackardGraphicLanguage) to communicate with their machines.

SP1;
PA500,500;
PD;
PR0,1000;
PU;
SP;

(example of HPGL code)