Shane Quale

Help applying application tape please….

I’ve looked up videos and I try and try to get application tape to lay flat and it always seems to be an issue. I am using RTape High Tack clear trasfer tape on 651 vinyl. What are your steps in applying to a larger graphic (38”)? I start in the center then roll it down and always seem to get bubbles. 

Any videos that I am unaware of for a good example of doing it?

Thanks

I think the clear tape is a little more rigid, so getting it to lay flat will be more difficult. If I'm doing the application with the app tape on the table, and laying the decal into it, which is my preferred method, and if the app tape is not laying flat, then I will over pull the length, and tape the corners down. I'd be cutting it off in the final cuts anyway.

I also prefer to use paper tape. Most here prefer paper tape. I will only use clear if the client specifically asks for it, and I never offer up that info.

• Like 2

Keep in mind, the app tape doesn't have to be perfect. Just avoid wrinkles and creases the best you can. Even then, those can be worked during install and not cause a problem.

If you're doing a lot of large decals, you might consider getting/making something like this;

https://uscutter.com/Aluminum-Big-Squeegee-Laminator-Tool/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, haumana said:

I think the clear tape is a little more rigid, so getting it to lay flat will be more difficult. If I'm doing the application with the app tape on the table, and laying the decal into it, which is my preferred method, and if the app tape is not laying flat, then I will over pull the length, and tape the corners down. I'd be cutting it off in the final cuts anyway.

I also prefer to use paper tape. Most here prefer paper tape. I will only use clear if the client specifically asks for it, and I never offer up that info.

same method I use - works great and I leave the clear for the crafters, you can't apply a decal wet with clear 

7 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Keep in mind, the app tape doesn't have to be perfect. Just avoid wrinkles and creases the best you can. Even then, those can be worked during install and not cause a problem.

If you're doing a lot of large decals, you might consider getting/making something like this;

https://uscutter.com/Aluminum-Big-Squeegee-Laminator-Tool/

I seriously need to raise the price of the one I have in the buy/sell section lol - 

• Like 1

Well, well, well…..

I finally got it. My issue was I was trying to get the vinyl to adhere to the app tape right away. I learned that a light pressure on the tape first to get all the major bubbles out. Then I worked in a circle applying significant pressure. Wow! That was simple. Thanks again for all the help!

• Like 2

Happy to hear that you've found a method that works best for you, and thank you for sharing it.