Wkdemers1

Cutting Flock for Rhinestone Jig Pattern

I did a global search on the forum for cutting templates for setting rhinestones. I used a few different search strings but nothing turned up. I own an mh series cutter and I'm wondering if there is software available or some patterns that I can plug into vinylmaster to cut flock for rhinestones. Will this clumsy machine even cut flock for rhinestones?

A quick google search, cause I have no idea how the rhinestone thing works, looks like there is at least one company selling a flock they say is intended to be used with a vinyl cutter although it looks pretty thick. I did find a video of someone using a Cameo and they were doing a double pass. It might be possible to cut it with a MH, but it'll likely be a headache getting the cutter dialed in to work well. As for templates, anything in a vector format should work. Building your own template can probably be done with some patience using Inkscape or any other vector design software but you'd probably be best off looking for software specifically designed to build templates.

I seem to recall that Sure-Cuts-A-Lot has rhinestone template capability.

That being said, I don't believe the material (flock) is going to cut properly with the MH, although it theoretically can be done with a carrier sheet, I suppose. Since the O-P already owns the machine, it's not a big deal to test it out for themselves.

I still say No. The MH is a vinyl cutter, for all intents & purposes.

I also saw the cameo demonstrations and thought 'if a toy can do it surely a real cutter can..'

I'm an optimist until I ain't D:

Waiting to hear from someone whose tried. 

Meanwhile checking sure-cuts-a-lot, thank you Home-Slice!

After looking at the options and reading up on SCAL I'm wondering if USC will let me trade VMLTR for SCAL. ?

4 hours ago, Wkdemers1 said:

I also saw the cameo demonstrations and thought 'if a toy can do it surely a real cutter can..'

A Graphtec "Cameo" is not a toy. Graphtec makes great quality vinyl cutters. Very accurate.  It's just more on the crafters line of vinyl cutters.(smaller)  A MH vinyl cutter is the least expensive full vinyl cutter out there. It takes force, from the machine, to be able to cut the type of material that you are needing.  As well as a cutter that has great tracking. Full size cutters, have different specs and different features. You get what you pay for in a vinyl cutter.  Many people on this forum own a Graphtec vinyl cutter. Just larger. 

Also doing searches online came up with several place of free  and or purchase rhinestone patterns. I site gives a free daily pattern. Just sign up. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

A Graphtec "Cameo" is not a toy. Graphtec makes great quality vinyl cutters. Very accurate.  It's just more on the crafters line of vinyl cutters.(smaller)  A MH vinyl cutter is the least expensive full vinyl cutter out there. It takes force, from the machine, to be able to cut the type of material that you are needing.  As well as a cutter that has great tracking. Full size cutters, have different specs and different features. You get what you pay for in a vinyl cutter.  Many people on this forum own a Graphtec vinyl cutter. Just larger. 

Also doing searches online came up with several place of free  and or purchase rhinestone patterns. I site gives a free daily pattern. Just sign up. 

Well I'll be fallin asleep in Galvaston in summer with no DEET on! I had no ideer! D:

I used to have a Graphtec. Cops stole it. I won't go into it here LOL

I own a Graphtec also, but I would think that cutter would cut flock, just make a couple of passes when cutting. I have to make 2 passes when I cut flock.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mfatty500 said:

I own a Graphtec also, but I would think that cutter would cut flock, just make a couple of passes when cutting. I have to make 2 passes when I cut flock.

What software do you use? 

For Rhinestone work I use ACS, along with either Flexi or Corel Draw, it's old though, I don't know if they even make it any more. For my Spangle machine I use Hot Fix Era, I think I could use it for rhinestone work but, I don't do as much rhinestone work anymore, compared to Spangles. 

It's an older program, I think thru CadLink, we got it back in 2008, I don't know if they even make it anymore. I also have the TRW, that you use thru Corel Draw, but I don't use it much. As I stated, I use Hot Fix Era, because it's all that works with my Spangle machine.

• Like 1

I see Hotfix Era has a subscription schedule. . did you buy it or subscribe? If you've tried both which do you feel was or is the better option? ...and thank you for taking time to respond, thank you!

Subscription vs buying comes down to how often is the software updated, and how often do you buy the update. Me personally, I prefer buying. If I get software that does what I need and works, I see no point in upgrading and introducing a new world of things to learn and/or not work. I still use a program from the late 90s simply because it works and newer version have gotten way more complicated than what I need.

However, if you're one of those that has to have the latest and greatest a subscription can work out to be cheaper in the long run and you'll be sure to always have the newest version as well as the tech support that comes along with it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Subscription vs buying comes down to how often is the software updated, and how often do you buy the update. Me personally, I prefer buying. If I get software that does what I need and works, I see no point in upgrading and introducing a new world of things to learn and/or not work. I still use a program from the late 90s simply because it works and newer version have gotten way more complicated than what I need.

However, if you're one of those that has to have the latest and greatest a subscription can work out to be cheaper in the long run and you'll be sure to always have the newest version as well as the tech support that comes along with it.

Well said, and I totally agree. Auto update anything can be the bane of my existence ... for example, when Win10 auto updates, and then nothing connected works after that. :P

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, Wkdemers1 said:

I see Hotfix Era has a subscription schedule. . did you buy it or subscribe? If you've tried both which do you feel was or is the better option? ...and thank you for taking time to respond, thank you!

I own the HFE, no subscription for me. The ACS is old, but it was the best option at the time. It made us a lot of money. HFE, like stated is about the only software that works with my Spangle machine. A lt of people don't like it, (me included at times) sometimes it will crash when doing some simple tasks, it drives me nuts. But I've learned to live with it.

Accidently re-found this thread and figured I'd post an update. The MH can cut rhinestone flock. Wife decided she wanted to try making some rhinestone stuff. So I got some flock then learned she wanted to put stuff on randomly by hand. I had the flock already though so figured I'd play around with it and see what I could do. I created templates using Inkscape and had pretty good success with cutting the flock. The I set the blade depth as Mz Skeeter preaches and blade sticks out a freighting amount, but the flock is that thick, and I barely cut into the backing. I'm cutting templates for 2.2mm stones but had to size the hold to 3mm in order for the cutter to cut something resembling a circle that the stone could fall into. Weeding was a bit of a pain because the tiny circle cuts weren't closing. If I add some more overcut I might be able to fix that problem. Overall though I'm pretty pleased with how it all came out.