Sign in to follow this  
WildCorral

Mac Boot Camp to run cutting software

I'm still interested in Graphtec cutters. I have been studying cutting software like crazy and am wondering about the following scenario: I can partition my Mac hard drive with  "Boot Camp" which prepares the drive for a Windows install. I can get a new Windows Home Version for $140, then if I get Vinyl Master Cut for $60, will I be good to go on a Graphtec?  I don't need design software, have a program I've been using for 35 years (Canvas X Draw), which can export svg, PDF and dfx. I'm still thinking about a Titan 2  if I can't find a decent Graphtec at the right price, so I would appreciate any comments on that as well.

I run both my LaserPoint and Graphtec from an (old) MacPro (intel), MacBook Pro (intel), and Mac Mini (M1). All through Parallels.  The Intel-based machines are running Win7, because that's my preference, the M1 runs Win10. The only issue that I've run into, is the LaserPoint on the new M1 machine, but it runs the Graphtec CE6000-60 Plus just fine.

I can run the Graphtec Studio natively in Mac OS, and can run Graphtec Pro Studio and SignBlazer in Win7&10.

• Like 3

haumana is awesome with the Mac tech. I hate windows but DO have an older windows 7 laptop that I do my books on and usually run my cutter. Most of my design work is on an iMac but for simplicity I transfer my cut files via a thumb drive over and cut on the laptop. This is as much because I don't have the cutter near my design work station as anything. I use Illustrator for design but use SignCut Pro 1 as my cutter interface. I chose it because if you buy a lifetime dongle you can run It on Mac OR pc. Super handy. It's not cheap so if you are just starting out it may not be worth it but I love it. It has plug-ins for several design programs (not Canvas I'm sure) but I prefer to just open a cut ready file with the program itself. It will cut from several vector options including svg. 

Not trying to sell you on it but if you are considering spending any kind of money it might be worth doing the free trial. They offer a week free I believe. The old Pro 1 version I use is about obsolete and I don't know much about the new version but I see it has some design capability whereas Pro 1 is strictly an interface, but oh so sweet with all the bells and whistles like nesting and weeding lines etc. They also have real live tech help which NO ONE else gives to my knowledge. 

• Like 1