WildCorral

How to check used Graphtec

31 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I love the basket on mine.  And it slides in, so it can be out of the way, when not in use.  Wonder if the seller still has the fabric for it.  

He doesn't and he wouldn't sell me the rest of the pieces because he thought it would make the whole machine unusable and unsellable.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, vinylmotivations said:

Having talked to him myself, it doesn't sound like he is too willing to do much, which is why I hadn't jumped on it myself for parts to refurb another machine. Now finding out it's been in a garage for 6mos I wouldn't touch it (personally) other than for non-electronic components.

@WildCorral where are you located?

Central Minnesota 

My experience with these tells me the boards are very very sensitive to static in all cutters. The FC7000 is a workhorse and will last the long term but that being said, not only is it not supported by Graphtec anymore but they only really offer a few obscure parts and the cutting strips for them

Even with that in mind I'm having a hard time letting go of mine (FC7000-75) even though I just picked up an 8600 in a Wisconsin. 

Do you have a budget in mind and an idea of what you want a cutter to do for you? 

17 minutes ago, WildCorral said:

Central Minnesota 

I ask because I'm in Central Iowa. I can maybe help source something better suited. 

2 hours ago, vinylmotivations said:

Having talked to him myself, it doesn't sound like he is too willing to do much, which is why I hadn't jumped on it myself for parts to refurb another machine. Now finding out it's been in a garage for 6mos I wouldn't touch it (personally) other than for non-electronic components.

@WildCorral where are you located?Vinylmotivations this was the comment I needed to see. If someone who knows these machines wouldn’t touch it, then I’m not going to either. I really appreciate ALL the input everyone has given. Although I would have loved a Graphtec, I think I should go in another direction. If you’ll excuse me, because this is a Graphtec forum, I have seen positive comments from some of you in other areas of the forum on the Titan 2, and that unit does run from a Mac. It seems like the Titan 2 has been around for a while and is a servo motor. What say you now?

1 hour ago, vinylmotivations said:

My experience with these tells me the boards are very very sensitive to static in all cutters. The FC7000 is a workhorse and will last the long term but that being said, not only is it not supported by Graphtec anymore but they only really offer a few obscure parts and the cutting strips for them

Even with that in mind I'm having a hard time letting go of mine (FC7000-75) even though I just picked up an 8600 in a Wisconsin. 

Do you have a budget in mind and an idea of what you want a cutter to do for you? 

I ask because I'm in Central Iowa. I can maybe help source something better suited. 

Didn’t see your response until I replied above. I’m looking for advice 

20 minutes ago, WildCorral said:

Didn’t see your response until I replied above. I’m looking for advice 

I can either chat back and forth here with you or if you like I can send you my phone/Facebook and we can chat to make it most efficient for you. I have been absent from the forums here for quite a while but have been using Graphtec machines now since 2009/2010 exclusively. @MZ SKEETER has been here longer than me yet and has a lot of good info too.

I don't want to see anyone get burned, FULL PUBLIC DISCLOSURE, I do have a couple of machines for sale- but I don't want to push/peddle those, only make sure you get what you are looking for if I can offer help.

44 minutes ago, vinylmotivations said:

I can either chat back and forth here with you or if you like I can send you my phone/Facebook and we can chat to make it most efficient for you. I have been absent from the forums here for quite a while but have been using Graphtec machines now since 2009/2010 exclusively. @MZ SKEETER has been here longer than me yet and has a lot of good info too.

I don't want to see anyone get burned, FULL PUBLIC DISCLOSURE, I do have a couple of machines for sale- but I don't want to push/peddle those, only make sure you get what you are looking for if I can offer help.

Being new to the forum I don’t know how to private message. My budget is in the $800 to $1200 range. This will be a hobby/pin money operation, I’m not going to let it become a full time business, I’m 73 and retired and I don’t golf, so it’s an outlet for my art skills (career in commercial art).

29 minutes ago, WildCorral said:

Being new to the forum I don’t know how to private message. My budget is in the $800 to $1200 range. This will be a hobby/pin money operation, I’m not going to let it become a full time business, I’m 73 and retired and I don’t golf, so it’s an outlet for my art skills (career in commercial art).

Just click on their name,vinylmotivations, at top of screen is message. 

13 minutes ago, WildCorral said:

I would still recommend a Graphtec machine if you can source one- There are MANY CE5000 and CE6000 24" machines on the market that would likely do you well. Also an FC7000 or FC8000 would continue to serve you well for a while.

A new machine would give you a warranty and support from USCutter which is a bonus but you may fight cut quality on a much lesser cutter.

As I said and will only add this once- I do have two machines available - an FC7000-75, as stated above it just does not have an OEM basket, it DOES have a full basket however. It would only need a new cutting strip which I plan on ordering. I also have a CE5000-60 that I bought new at USCutter, I would be willing to let go of. I have honestly avoided selling them since they are such good machines. I am in Des Moines, about 3 1/2 hours south of Minneapolis.

The above excluded I can browse what is available in the area for you too tonight, I just went to Wisconsin last Thursday and picked up a new-to-me FC8600-160 which is a beast 64" machine. There is another one south of me I am tempted to also go get in the next week or two if I can get it for the right price.

1 hour ago, vinylmotivations said:

I would still recommend a Graphtec machine if you can source one- There are MANY CE5000 and CE6000 24" machines on the market that would likely do you well. Also an FC7000 or FC8000 would continue to serve you well for a while.

A new machine would give you a warranty and support from USCutter which is a bonus but you may fight cut quality on a much lesser cutter.

As I said and will only add this once- I do have two machines available - an FC7000-75, as stated above it just does not have an OEM basket, it DOES have a full basket however. It would only need a new cutting strip which I plan on ordering. I also have a CE5000-60 that I bought new at USCutter, I would be willing to let go of. I have honestly avoided selling them since they are such good machines. I am in Des Moines, about 3 1/2 hours south of Minneapolis.

The above excluded I can browse what is available in the area for you too tonight, I just went to Wisconsin last Thursday and picked up a new-to-me FC8600-160 which is a beast 64" machine. There is another one south of me I am tempted to also go get in the next week or two if I can get it for the right price.

I will respond soon. 

Even though I put the brakes on the FC7000, I'm still interested in Graphtec. How old are CE5000 and CE6000 machines. Any concerns about either because of age? I have been studying cutting software like crazy and am wondering about the following scenario: I can partition my Mac hard drive with a utility called "Boot Camp" which prepares the drive for a Windows install. I can get a new Windows Home Version for $140, then if I get Vinyl Master Cut for $60, will I be good to go on a Graphtec? I'm going to check this on the Mac forum as well. I don't need design software, have a program I've been using for 35 years (Canvas X Draw), which can export svg, PDF and dfx. I'm still thinking about a Titan 2  if I can't find a decent Graphtec at the right price, so I would appreciate any comments on that as well.

Graphtec CE7000 I think came out this last spring, or last winter,  So CE6000 is not that old.   I purchased 2 CE 5000-60 around 2012, for my kids Both are running fine.  There is a Mac user here who has put Windows on their Mac, so they could install Graphtec Pro Studio, and I think maybe Signblazer also.   Both Graphtec CE machines would work fine, as long as taken care of.  Yes, you would be good to go with what you want.  Signblazer (FREE) can be used with both machines. It is design and cutting software.  I would get away from the dfx files.  The most common vector file for any cutting software, is .eps.  

run with it - should be ok  - but like others have said we are not there to test it

Looking and Vinyl Master Cut is a good option. I also originally started with SignCut Pro which was great but it's gone subscription only.

There are several viable Mac options, I do think CorelDraw is great too.... But newer versions are not compatible with the older versions of cutting master. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all who helped me on this topic. After 9 hours of driving , I am now the proud owner of a used Graphtec CE5000. I bought it from Vinyl Motivations. Earlier, at my request, he sent videos of the cutter operating; I saw it working again yesterday and had him cut full width so I could see how smooth the machine cut. The unit looks like new and came with a very nice hand crafted basket, a cover and extra blades and push rollers. He also provided a decent older Dell laptop loaded with all the updated Graphtec software. Today I reasssemble and start learning software!

• Like 2

Thank you my friend! We rolled back into DSM after hitting Chicago - about 2am this morning central time loaded with another 54in FC that needs some love. 

Enjoy and I especially will be here if you need anything. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vinylmotivations said:

Thank you my friend! We rolled back into DSM after hitting Chicago - about 2am this morning central time loaded with another 54in FC that needs some love. 

Enjoy and I especially will be here if you need anything. 

Glad your long trip was successful. Thanks again, it was a pleasure meeting you and hope our paths will cross again.