WildCorral

How to check used Graphtec

Been watching forums for quite some time. Considering a small hobby/business in retirement. My background is in commercial art. At first was looking at entry level cutters and saw that they could be hit or miss for quality. Thought I had focused on a GCC unit but found some disturbing potential quality problems. Everywhere I would look on these forums I would see “get a Graphtec “, so started researching. Thought a CE7000 was the ticket until I learned of the tracking issues. I’m pretty sure it was Mz Skeeter along with others who said, “you are better off with a used Graphtec than a new cheapie.” Started looking for used and found an FC7000 Cutting Pro Mark 2-75. The seller got it when he bought a bunch of equipment from a closing business but he didn’t use the cutter because he wanted a larger one to match the output of his printer. It has been sitting unused for a couple of years. It is an 8 hour round trip for me to check it out, so I need help from you folks to tell me what to look for. The unit does power up, the seller sent a photo. I asked about usb and it appears to have a usb2 port, important because I use Mac. Does a cutter fit the old  “use it or lose it” because it hasn’t run in a while? I was thinking that I could buy some vinyl 12x12 sheets and take it along for a test cut; the unit is not attached to a computer, is there a test cut that can be accessed within the unit menus? Anything else that might be an issue and if so, are the fixes inexpensive? I think a new cutting strip and Clean Cut blades at a minimum. Mz Skeeter raves about her FC7000, so I’m hoping this is a good one. 

16AB48A0-C4EC-423D-AB1F-358A32EC646C.jpeg

CA054DE2-B38A-4B39-94B0-93CBA9131AE7.jpeg

A19505FA-FCDB-446D-AC51-B83D1D46DE26.jpeg

YES,  I still rave about my Graphtec.  I have never had a problem with it..  Download the user manual from Graphtec, you can see the TEST button right on the Control panel.  It should make a nice square with a triangle in it.  But who knows if the blade is set up correctly. It may not be.   

Should be a good solid unit unless he left it in an unseated shed for 2 Minnesota  winters.  In that case I would check everywhere for signs of rust.  They are a precision device and should be handled as such.   I am also a hard core graphtec user for many years 

38 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Should be a good solid unit unless he left it in an unseated shed for 2 Minnesota  winters.  In that case I would check everywhere for signs of rust.  They are a precision device and should be handled as such.   I am also a hard core graphtec user for many years 

It may very well have been in an unheated  garage. Is there any lubrication that should be applied before testing? What kind of lubricant?

24 minutes ago, WildCorral said:

It may very well have been in an unheated  garage. Is there any lubrication that should be applied before testing? What kind of lubricant?

Put nothing on it.  Maybe wipe or blow the dust off.  Are you really in Minnesota?  Have you looked at other places? 

Going to look at the FC7000 on Thursday. I bought a 12” x 6’ roll of Oracal for testing. I have been reading the Graphtec manual and see that there are two test programs to run. If the machine moves the vinyl and cuts, am I good to make a purchase? I know that blade depth and other adjustments may be needed, but since the machine is not connected to a computer I’m limited. Also, if I use the “Copy” button it supposedly will cut the last job in memory (if any); is that worth trying or if the job is bigger than my vinyl would I damage the machine? I intend on doing inspecting closely with a flashlight to look for corrosion, loose wires… anything else I should check?

If you have a laptop, download the driver now and run it.  take it and run the cutter.  What cutting software were you planning on using with it?   A Free Signblazer program has that cutter listed. I would not use copy.  Type some text  and cut it.  Make sure Command is on HP-GL for software that is not Graphtec.

Unfortunately, no laptop. I know you don’t want to hear this but I’ve been on a Mac since 1986 and I am going to try both the Graphtec software and SCALP demo. Working already with Graphtec software and it doesn’t like my dxf files. Downloaded Inkscape and converted my files and Graphtec software would open; hopefully it will cut! I am a little wary of buying without knowing if my plans will work. About the only thing I’ve seen in my price range that seems to be an option is a  US Cutter Titan 2, 28” and that does work with SCALP on Mac. 

I don't care what operating system you use, BUT you are leaving yourself out of some great features by Using a Mac.  Like the Graphtec Cutting Controller.   Adjust all settings from your computer.    I still use an old 2006 Laptop with Windows XP, as well as some others do.  It's very stable.  Even a Mac user on here cuts with Windows.  Those computers can be picked up cheap.  You will want a dedicated computer for cutting.  Most cutters do not like DXF files.  They cut in line segments.  Not a path. You want a good vector file for a vinyl cutter.  .eps is the most popular and widely used.  

Here is the Graphtec Cutting Controller.  I don't touch any settings on my vinyl cutter.    I just change speed and force a little here. Depending on what i am cutting.  I mostly cut sign vinyl and Avery chrome.   And as you can see I don't cut fast either.  I cut and talk on here.  LOL  

graphtec cutting controller.jpg

I may have to resort to that, but I have had some really bad experiences with windows machines. Attached is pic of Graphtec Studio manual, the only vector file format it will open is dxf. It won’t read dxf created by my graphics software so I’m opening a pdf in Inkscape (pdf has embedded eps vectors), then saving as dxf using “ROBO-Master type of spline output”, Graphtec Studio will open that file, whether it will cut or not remains to be seen. 

EBD384B2-0BBC-4EA5-A240-81C0C50941DA.jpeg

I use Flexi software,  You are on your own with all of that. Very few people use a Mac on here. Only a couple hand full even answer questions.  BUT there are people who use a version of Windows on their Macs. 

On 10/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, slice&dice said:

What's the asking price?

It's listed on FB Marketplace at $900... I know I would be concerned if it has been stored in an uncontrolled environment.

You don't need a big fancy computer to run a vinyl cutter.  My old 2006 Toshiba with XP has 2.99 GB of ram.  I buy off of Ebay ,  I buy Windows 7 now.  I keep a few back ups, Just in case the screen light goes out or something.  Mine are all set up with the software, just ready to hook up and go.  When you have a business, you have to be prepared, so you can keep running, no matter what. 

42 minutes ago, WildCorral said:

How much RAM and how much disc space do you need on a windows laptop?

I would parront @MZ SKEETER - it doesn't take much to run- it is your design machine you will want more horsepower on if you want to run inkscape/corel/illustrator etc.

I don't suppose if you bought that you would want to part with the basket hardware would you? I had been looking at buying that one just for the basket hardware...

8 minutes ago, vinylmotivations said:

I would parront @MZ SKEETER - it doesn't take much to run- it is your design machine you will want more horsepower on if you want to run inkscape/corel/illustrator etc.

I don't suppose if you bought that you would want to part with the basket hardware would you? I had been looking at buying that one just for the basket hardware...

I love the basket on mine.  And it slides in, so it can be out of the way, when not in use.  Wonder if the seller still has the fabric for it.  

You can still design on a Mac and save off to cut on a Windows computer..  Thumbdrive etc.  I keep my  saved designs several different places. including on Email drafts, so I can access them from anywhere. 

Just found out that the Graphtec has been in seller’s garage the last 6 months (Summer) and previous to that in a storeroom at his shop. Does that sound ok?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WildCorral said:

Just found out that the Graphtec has been in seller’s garage the last 6 months (Summer) and previous to that in a storeroom at his shop. Does that sound ok?

I would be concerned with that because electronics can corrode with heat/cool cycles that cause condensation.

That seller should be able to put some type of material on the throat of that cutter, whether shelf paper, kraft paper, newspaper or something and be able to close that media handle and step it, to show it powers on the rest of the way. And photograph it ready to cut. It does not have to be vinyl.   Sometimes those sensors  go out on the handle or the front and back sensors.  Where are you going to get them?  If you can't get past "load media"   then what? 

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

That seller should be able to put some type of material on the throat of that cutter, whether shelf paper, kraft paper, newspaper or something and be able to close that media handle and step it, to show it powers on the rest of the way. And photograph it ready to cut. It does not have to be vinyl.   Sometimes those sensors  go out on the handle or the front and back sensors.  Where are you going to get them?  If you can't get past "load media"   then what? 

Having talked to him myself, it doesn't sound like he is too willing to do much, which is why I hadn't jumped on it myself for parts to refurb another machine. Now finding out it's been in a garage for 6mos I wouldn't touch it (personally) other than for non-electronic components.

@WildCorral where are you located?