kevinj6121

Roland BN-20A

Hi all, i'm new to this group and new to getting into T-shirt heat transfers and stickers, signs and such. I was looking into and researching everything from DTG printers, white toner printers, dye Sublimation and vinyl cutters for heat transfers.

Just to get my feet wet and not spend too much i bought a Cricut maker 3 and some supplies, I also got a decent heat press as no matter which method I decide on for heat transfers a heat press will be needed anyway

Found out I like it, have made some T's already just text and simple graphics  using heat transfer vinyl. Have washed those shirts like 5 times so far and still look like i just made them. So durability seems good.

But i want to print and cut as well, for heat transfer, i can print on my regular inkjet using paper made for just that then cut it on the Cricut and it works fine. But that stuff doesn't hold up well like the regular heat transfer vinyl does.

Enter the Roland BN-20A that i came across. I can get one of those with ink for $5200, i've watched a lot of their videos and really like that machine. I know its not to fast but i know that going in and it is not a concern of mine at all. It's just gonna be like a little side hustle for me for a good while while I lean and master it.

can anyone who owns one chime in and give me honest opinions on it.

As you probably know, those printers perform a maintenance routine daily, using up ink to keep the heads from drying out.

If you aren't concerned with having it just sit idle but still using up ink while it isn't doing any jobs for days on end, then go for it.

The BN20A was Roland's featured machine at the current FESPA Global Print Expo (Amsterdam).

What are your main concerns? Since you have a budget of $6K, then it seems like you're good to go.

58 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

As you probably know, those printers perform a maintenance routine daily, using up ink to keep the heads from drying out.

If you aren't concerned with having it just sit idle but still using up ink while it isn't doing any jobs for days on end, then go for it.

The BN20A was Roland's featured machine at the current FESPA Global Print Expo (Amsterdam).

What are your main concerns? Since you have a budget of $6K, then it seems like you're good to go.

That was one of the reasons other then the cost of those DTG printers is that they use up ink even if not being used that i won't get one of those, so that was a concern to me with this machine as well, i spoke to them just today and asked just that question, he told me its an issue with the white ink but if your not using white in its not bad at all. I can't find any youtube vids or any information that subject

maybe some one who has one can answer   How much ink does this machine waste/use while not in use durn its maintenance runs. i would not be getting or using the white ink if that even matters

We mostly are cutting folks here.

You are already in contact with Roland support, why can't they answer these technical questions? I do know one thing, if you order a machine, having a full set of spare ink cartridges is worthwhile right from the jump. Roland DG’s GREENGUARD Gold certified Eco-Sol MAX 2 inks are what you'll need. They're about $100 per color.

elephant-tshirt.jpg?h=533&w=800&la=en&ha

I have had 3 solvent printers and even with then doing daily maintenance themselves if left to sit without printing you will get clogged heads that don’t clear up if not used regularly. That is why I sold my last sp300i.  We started going on vacations of 3 weeks or more and every time I would have to replace the black head at $700.  I think the head on the bun is closer to $2000 so make sure you can keep it printing and willing to Rick board damage replacing the head yourself.   If you can keep it working every couple of days to a week the. They work great for transfers.  For me without the volume  now I find it better for just farm it out