G'day peeps, I have a very early version of signblazer running on a very old laptop windows xp connected to a Newstart omega cutter via serial port cable. I purchased the entire bundle from signblazer creator Jerry here in Melbourne Australia in 1999. My question is this, the laptop is old full of glitches and clunky, missing fonts and doesn't do a lot of important functions that it used to. It was just a hobby but now that I'm older I want to get into signwriting more seriously so can I load the original software onto a more modern laptop or is there a download for windows 10? My cutter is a Newstart omega from 1999 serial port, is there some sort of plug in dongle to convert serial to parallel port? Is it even possible to use this old new star on a modern laptop with latest software or am I better off with new laptop new plotter and new software? Big thanks to any answers or suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers buster

Nothing wrong wrong with xp and several here still use xp machines to cut.

if you do upgrade a tripp-lite kingspan usb to serial adapter is what you’ll want to connect to your cutter.

signblazer is no longer supported, creator passed away but it’s still a very useful tool. If you want a. Newer design program Inkscape is free and quite powerful. 

My dear dear man, glad you dropped in here.

It's an honor knowing someone who;s actually met Jerry Bonham. He is a hero of mine.

The USCUTTER operation, as a business, would certainly say to go with a new cutter, running with FutureCorp's VinylMaster. That is their current sign design combo, hardware & software twinned, and it's very powerful.

Otherwise, grab this latest SignBlazer download from HERE ----->  http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe
(disable your antivirus; this version is coded to avoid the registration scheme, since there is none available, as mentioned above).

As you can see from my screenshot, NewStar cutters are part of the package, and any Windows version can function with those machine drivers.

screen003.jpg

• Like 2