NTBVinyls

CE7000 Curves not cutting properly - choppy

I don't know how you save your files, but I save mine to several different places, my computer, an external hard drive and my email drafts.  I just use bare bones Flexistarter  8.6 to cut with on my Graphtec FC cutter.  But I have very good software to design with.  Flexidesigner 10.5. (It doesn't have cutting option).  I don't see your problem , you can still design in VinylMaster Pro, and save as/export .eps files and cut elsewhere.   You should be saving your files in a vector format that can be used on any software.  and .eps is that format.  Not just VinylMaster software. 

NTBVinyls,

I had this same problem.  USCutter and Graphtec were unable to help me except to rule a ton of things out and I ended up finding the solution on my own.  CM4 and GraphtecProStudio production manager both default "step size" to 254/in.  This is fine for letters and figures over 1" but once you go smaller than that you really need more resolution.  I cut very small all the time so I went all the way up to 2540 but most users would probably be fine with 1016 steps/in. 

If that worked for you awesome, but that doesn't seem right. Step size is a physical characteristic of the stepper motor and gear/belt sizes. Using the number you mentioned, 1 step is equal to 1/254 of an inch. Changing the value in the software to 2540 means the software will think 1 step equals 1/2540 of an inch and it will send 10 step commands to move 1/254 of an inch. The hardware however, will see those 10 step commands and move a total of 10/254 of an inch. The design will come out 10x larger than intended.

5 hours ago, darcshadow said:

If that worked for you awesome, but that doesn't seem right. Step size is a physical characteristic of the stepper motor and gear/belt sizes. Using the number you mentioned, 1 step is equal to 1/254 of an inch. Changing the value in the software to 2540 means the software will think 1 step equals 1/2540 of an inch and it will send 10 step commands to move 1/254 of an inch. The hardware however, will see those 10 step commands and move a total of 10/254 of an inch. The design will come out 10x larger than intended.

I agree. I would be interested to see the code that is produced by the software at 2540.

I don't use GraphtecProStudio, but use GPGL code and select 1016 steps. If output is cut to size, I suspect the software is converting the 2540 steps. Resolution may be better, but I imagine only fractionally.

But, hey, if it works, it works. Don't stop...

I have Flexistarter software. (same cutting as Graphtec Pro Studio.)   SAI,, I went into properties and changed the resolution from 1016 steps per inch to 2540 steps per inch.   In my layout screen.  I entered a Letter text, which was scaled to 3.1 Inch High   when it cut at 2540 resolution, the letter cut at just over 7.5 inches high.

12 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I have Flexistarter software. (same cutting as Graphtec Pro Studio.)   SAI,, I went into properties and changed the resolution from 1016 steps per inch to 2540 steps per inch.   In my layout screen.  I entered a Letter text, which was scaled to 3.1 Inch High   when it cut at 2540 resolution, the letter cut at just over 7.5 inches high.

What is the step size set up as on your plotter?  When I use cutting master 4 to send 2540 steps/in data to my CE7000 the plotter switches to 2540 steps/in and the artwork prints the size expected.  The same happens when I send data using Graphtec Production Manager.  I would expect that a size mismatch between the data sent to the plotter and what the plotter is set at to result in artwork being scaled larger or smaller than intended.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:29 AM, darcshadow said:

Not if the hardware is set to 1/2540.

If someone really wants to validate this themselves set software and plotter to 254 steps/in.  Cut Arial lettering at 0.25" height (PQRS will be enough, those letters will all look awful).  Set software and plotter to 1/2540 and repeat the test.  You will find the letters come out much much cleaner (and the correct size). 

1 hour ago, jagrjones said:

What is the step size set up as on your plotter?  When I use cutting master 4 to send 2540 steps/in data to my CE7000 the plotter switches to 2540 steps/in and the artwork prints the size expected.  The same happens when I send data using Graphtec Production Manager.  I would expect that a size mismatch between the data sent to the plotter and what the plotter is set at to result in artwork being scaled larger or smaller than intended.

If someone really wants to validate this themselves set software and plotter to 254 steps/in.  Cut Arial lettering at 0.25" height (PQRS will be enough, those letters will all look awful).  Set software and plotter to 1/2540 and repeat the test.  You will find the letters come out much much cleaner (and the correct size). 

My Graphtec cutter is ran by the software program.  Flexistarter..Command language HP-GL.  I do not make changes on my vinyl cutter it's self.   I use Flexi software and Graphtec Cutting controller on Condition 9. It is either ran Condition Priority> Program or Manual, which is cutter.. A dot is actually checked for that.  This is actually on the menu in my Graphtec vinyl  cutter, as well as on the Graphtec Cutting controller. I went into Resolution in Flexi and changed it to 2540. and got my results. Graphtec FC7000MK2-75  Only resolution on my vinyl cutter menu is Circle Resolution.  >Auto or default  . My cutter was bought new in 2008,  cuts beautiful.  Never have had a problem. 

9 hours ago, jagrjones said:

You're not understanding what I'm trying to say. You can not change the amount a stepper motor moves per step. Doesn't matter what you have any settings on the machine or software set to. A stepper motor will always move the same distance per step. The settings just control how many steps you tell the motor to move. As I said, if it's working for you and you're getting the results you want great, I just don't think it's working quite the way you think it's working.

6 hours ago, darcshadow said:

You're not understanding what I'm trying to say. You can not change the amount a stepper motor moves per step. Doesn't matter what you have any settings on the machine or software set to. A stepper motor will always move the same distance per step. The settings just control how many steps you tell the motor to move. As I said, if it's working for you and you're getting the results you want great, I just don't think it's working quite the way you think it's working.

The graphtec manual says you can change the step size (see attached).  It may be oversimplifying what what is happening when those settings are adjusted.  I'm not doubting that there is something happening in software when the step size is changed as Pawdell and darcshadow theorize.  I'm not sure what's going on there... all i know for sure is 1) current graphtec software defaults to 254 steps/in, 2) with this setting small figures/letters look terrible, 3) with higher settings 1016/2540 steps/in small figures/letters look significantly better and 4) changing the step size in software results in a step size change on the plotter and artwork comes out the correct size despite the change in step size. 

step size.png

AH! GP-GL, don't know anything about that or how it works. And it just occurred to me, you don't have stepper motors anyway, you are using servos. So the idea of "steps" isn't really the correct term anyway.

Just going from page of the manual, it would seem you need to match the steps set in your software with what you have the hardware set to. If it was me, I'd probably set it to option 3, 0.025mm and leave it there.