Jessica McGiness

Need help/suggestions for custom keychain issues

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and would like to ask for advice.

I am currently selling custom floating foam/Neoprene keychains with people's boat names on them. They sell very well, however I'm not convinced that the vinyl I'm adhering to them is going to last a long time. I've only had one or two complaints so far (out of the hundreds I've probably sold), but I don't want to sell anything I'm not confident is going to stand the test of time.

I'm currently using Oracal 651 (which is the same material I'm using for the boat names I make as well). I wipe each keychain with alcohol before I apply it. It seems to hold well, but definitely doesn't seem "permanent", especially considering that the keychains can be squished.

I've tried using different sealants over the finished product, but it doesn't turn out at all. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for either a different type of vinyl, or even a different process altogether for making these? Thank you so much for any help! 

You should probably be using at least 751. 751 and 951 will conform to curves better and probably hold up to being squished better but that's just a guess.

• Thanks 1

I would suggest getting a heat press and using HTV.

3 hours ago, Jessica McGiness said:

I did try htv, it didn't stick at all 

Hmm. I have crafty friends and family who do it all the time. Here's a YT vid, that might help. 

I think the challenge is these aren't regular keychains.  They're basically a piece of foam with some type of smooth covering.  I believe this is the type of keychain she is talking about:

Floating Keychain

I'd try some 751 or 951 to see if the cast vinyl held up better with the squish or the keychain.  

• Like 1

If it's a small run, then I would use the vinyl as a stencil and spay with fusion paint.

• Like 2