Meucow

Sign on wood - question about process

I have had a small business for a long time. I make signs on wood. I have a Titan 2. I use Oracal 813 stencil. I do not, have not, ever used transfer tape. The signs I make have a simple image and then 1 sentence of lettering (about 10-13 words, about 1" in size).   I cut the design, then I 'peel' the stencil material back and off the backing. I place this on the wood. I then 'weed' to place my insert letters (i.e. lower case 'o' and lower case 'e'. I then burnish and use spray paint.  Let it dry, then peel up stencil, weed out the letter inserts and bam - done.   It's worked for me and overall get great results.  I see video after video that show a different way.  Where the backing is pulled off, transfer tape applied to the stencil, then this is applied to the wood, then this is peeled off the wood...  I just cannot wrap my head around why this would be a better process (for me). I'm re-launching my business but have a 'real job'. Time and efficiency is key. I need to ensure I'm doing the MOST effective way. Appreciate any insight or direction on why transfer tape is used and/or may be beneficial.  Just trying to work as smart as possible. Greatly appreciate input/feedback. Thank you.

Cindi

Please offer us a video of your process.

It will assist us in evaluating your request for feedback.

Let me know if I have this correct - 

Cut, peel off backing (no weeding of design), apply to wood, weed out the stencil, paint, remove rest of vinyl.

Why use an application tape ...

• if you weed your design before application, then you will absolutely need to use a transfer tape, because that would be a whole lot of manual labor. 
  • If you weed prior application and use a transfer tape, you can see your design (whether it's in the negative or positive), and how to align it to your object.
  • I cannot speak for a other users, however, when i cut, if I tried to peel the vinyl without weeding, it will weed the exterior by default because I have the blade cutting through the vinyl, as well as the adhesive, so it will not stay in one piece with a design or text cut into it.

If what you're doing works best for you, and gets you the fastest production, then stick with it. There isn't a hard and fast rule about most of this stuff (with exception to never using clear transfer tape when doing a wet application). Even if you stick with your method, I would still suggest you have some application tape on hand for the "just in case" situations ;)

• Like 1