Hello, I'm really new to vinyl cutting. I have a MH 721 (I do wish I would have invested in a better machine) I'm trying to make a border to go around a sign. I thought if I used the contour feature under effects and insert shadow to 0.250 in I could then pull out the middle and use the outline as a border. I don't know if it's a setting I have wrong or just because I bought the cheapest cutting machine. I'm attaching a picture of the uneven cuts Im getting. I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help to this newbie! 

IMAG2699.jpg

IMAG2700.jpg

IMAG2701.jpg

make sure the cutter is not pulling directly (under tension) from the roll of vinyl. always leave enough slack that it can do the entire length.

make sure that you get your outside pinch roller as even towards the edges as possible (i.e. about 1" - 1.5" from edge of your vinyl).

not sure what speed you're cutting at, but you might want to slow it down.

just realize that the budget cutters will have some drift, but doing some of the above suggestion will help to minimize it.

• Like 1

Thank you I will do what you suggested and try again.. I wish I would have found this forum before I purchased this cutter because I would have invested a few more hundred bucks for a much better cutter. I wish uscutters had a trade in or upgrade program. 

Tracking with the MH is notoriously tricky. If the vinyl feed is not set perfectly, this is the result.

You can call USCUTTER and request a 'deal' for sending back the MH and buying the SC2 instead. Ask a supervisor to authorize that and they may accommodate you.

Thank you so much, I will give them a call on Monday. I've had the machine for about six months so I doubt they will let me trade it but its worth a shot for a better cutter. 

use the absolute minimum amount of blade exposure possible for the least drag, slow the plotter way down and hopefully you have not messed with the pressure roller adjustments since you purchased the plotter.  

While the MH tracking is not great, it should be better than that. You have other problems causing that bad of tracking. I once cut a stripe 4" wide and 6 feet long and was only off by about 1/8 of an inch. Do as the other have suggested to start with. Also, have you tried adjusting the tension on the pinch rollers? If you haven't, great, don't touch them. If you have, that could be your problem.

• Like 1