Has anyone recently gotten an MH series cutter to fully operate under Linux? All of the information I was able to find was more than a decade old. I am most specifically looking for information on the 14" MH Vinyl Cutter(SKU: REMH365), as that one is not listed in the drivers in Inkcut; only MH-721 and MH-1351 are in the list.

Does other software  besides inkcut — work better for this? This is entirely new territory for me, with regard plotter cutters.

Thank you in advance,
manikinxvx

I hate to ask this, probably will regret it ----  what is the attraction to Linux here? For around $60 you can hook up that MH to a legacy Dell laptop, with a dedicated serial DB9 port, running SignBlazer in Windows 7 (or even XP).

Your mini-cutter will operate just fine using 'RedSail' in setup after installing.
DOWNLOAD HERE

I got an MH-365 to work with a direct USB connection to Linux and inkcut.  On Ubuntu 20 it's plug and play at least in that the device is automatically added as a printer and you can send HPGL files to it using `lp`.  But the plotter seems to lose some commands when a direct USB connection is used.  I had to modify the HPGL output by inkcut a little bit to make it work.  I have submitted a fix to the inkcut maintainer so that a future release may generate output that works.  See https://github.com/inkcut/inkcut/issues/367.

You can use the existing MH-721 "device driver" in inkcut with other MH models; the only difference is the width and you can set that manually (to 11 inches for MH-365) when you add the device.

We always suggest not using the USB, as it has a cheap Chinese chipset, Not TRUE USB like higher end cutters. We suggest using the (Tripp-lite Keyspan adapter)that is the brand name and null modem cable with the MH vinyl cutters, Much better data flow and connection. The MH cutter, is about the most inexpensive vinyl cutter out there.  We also suggest new buyers purchase at least the SC2,  Much better vinyl cutter.  More memory, less static problems, better tracking, better connection.

• Like 1

This thread is from last year, and the O-P never returned after that one post.