so im looking at getting a different vinyl cutter.. 

ive owned a cameo and had nothing but heck with it auto blade issues software crashing etc.. 

sent it back and got a brother scan and cut 2 and its okay can get like 3 uses out a matt before it loses its tackyness

so im going to be making stencils and  letters and numbers  mainly stencils to use to pain with 

i do some custom painting using automotive paint  etc

and im looking at the USCutter MH Series 14 inch ..can you make stencils with this cutter? using like stencil material with a matt etc? 

i could even go up to 28 inch i suppose with a stand etc  im just curious if you can use stencil material with this unit 

ive seen good reviews on the software 

Technically yes, but in reality, no. It's a vinyl cutter for cutting vinyl. Unless you are making stencils out of vinyl you're going to have to use a matt just like with the brother and it'll lose it's tackyness as well. I don't know the quality of the brother, but I can almost say for certain that the MH will be a step down, probably a big step. You might look at the cricut, it's a hobbyist cutter and advertised as being able to cut card stock and such. My sister has one and has not had any complaints about it, although she mostly uses it to cut vinyl.

i will not get a circut  lol 

i know a matt would have to be used or even can use the rolls stencil film that you can get. 

so the mh series is low quality like lower than a circut cameo and brother?

btw Azle isnt very far from me Abilene here!!  

I have a MH and it works, but it was a fight to get things dialed in to work well. It does teach you a lot about cutters but I, and everyone on here, try to steer people to at least the SC, better if you can afford it. I've not had an SC, but those on here that have had both the SC and the MH say there is a significant improvement of the SC over the MH.

• Like 1

thanks for that advice.

ive just been giving thought to a different type machine all together could branch out and do vinyl stuff also decals etc..

If the stencils can be a one-time use, then a vinyl cutter will work. Just use the vinyl as your stencil, toss when done. Vinyl isn't expensive.

Keep in mind that the useful cutting area (width) of the MH mini is just about 10" across.

well i would possibly get a bit bigger one slice&dice...  

there are some of the stencils that could be a one time use yes.. 

i see there are stencil film thats like 10ft long by 12 inchs wide.. 

i seen one video on youtube where someone use a uscutter machine with a tack pad and used stencil film and also a circut tack pad.. 

just wasnt sure what us cutter plotter it was 

i could also do vinyl numbers an stuff with one for mailboxes!  someone recomended earlier going for the sc2 machine

you might also want to look at a table titan that can cut 15" wide material and has a much better chipset in than the value plotters - just an idea if you are serious about great graphics 

i will check that one out thanks for the tip on that one Dakotagrafx .. 

and its possible that i could branch into graphics at a later date! 

3 hours ago, CD82 said:

i will check that one out thanks for the tip on that one Dakotagrafx .. 

and its possible that i could branch into graphics at a later date! 

absolutely

i dont think i will have any issues working with stencils ive made a few on this brother scan n cut.

but the machine is limited so hence why im looking for something else. 

as far as vinyl goes making graphics an signs an stuff ive never really worked with vinyl.

so im not sure how good i would be at that for making signs or stickers etc with vinyl .. 

not sure how fast i could make my money back with an sc2 or the table titan..

i like i can get a stand with the sc2 and it is around my budget. 

if the table titan had a stand for that size i might get that machine 

hmm decisions lol! 

Welcome!

Decisions, decisions. This is the best kind of stress to have ... what to buy?? :D

Definitely stick with the SC or better, and if you have the room for the footprint, definitely get the stand. I would also recommend getting Clean Cut Blades - they are a little pricier than the standard/stock stuff, but they will last longer. If your budget can stretch it, and you were considering the 28" SC already, I would consider the 28" Titan. It's a better machine with a 2-year warranty. If you plan on doing contour cutting, then the SC will be a little bit easier than the Titan. In all honesty, I purchased a Laserpoint (I) probably 12+ years ago, because it could contour cut .... the machine is still going strong, with very minimal maintenance. I have never contoured cut - ever. Probably because I don't print and cut.

Working with vinyl is probably easier than cutting stencils, since it's pretty much, "feed and go" kind of thing -unless it's HTV, then you might need a carrier sheet for that. Do not buy the starter pack, because chances are, you already have whatever tools you will need - weed tool, squeegee, 

Trust me when I tell you that once your friends and family find out that you can make "die cut decals," (which technically they aren't), they will be calling you for all kinds of stuff. People put decals on cars, banner vinyl, hydroflasks, back of tablets and smartphones, laptops, cups, party favors, table tent cards, folders, etc .... The list goes on and on. I've made 'stencils' for family who use them to do chemical etching on pyrex bakeware, etc. 

• Like 1

if i choose one i think it might be the SC .. 

im sure going to give it some thought that is for sure .. 

the only options for blades for the SC are 60 degree and 45 degree..

unless the clean cut blades are somewhere else i dont see them ..

if i chose this route not and learned messing with vinyl could branch out a little bit. 

hmm 

SC is a great machine to start off with, and you can get a lot done with that machine. 

The 60* and 45* blade angles are pretty much the ʻgo to,ʻ angles. Depending what kind of material youʻre cutting, and/or how intricate or small of details (or text). I started off with a 45* blade that shipped with my LP, and within a few months I upgraded the blade to a 60* Clean Cut. To this day, the first 60* Clean Cut blade is still whatʻs in the machine now. Still cuts really, really well, and I havenʻt need to change it yet. You can buy them from USC or directly from Clean Cut Blade.

Typically as the machine models and brands go up in price, youʻll get little improvements in the machine, stepper motor vs. servo motor, accuracy when tracking the vinyl over longer runs, etc. I donʻt see any reason why you wouldnʻt be happy with an SC, itʻs solid machine, provided that it isnʻt abused (too much blade sticking out, too much force, etc.). The forum members here will be more than happy to help walk you through any concern you may have. Thereʻs usually someone here that will have some experience with one thing or another, so it makes it a lot easier to learn from our mistakes :P  Whatever machine you decide on, I just encourage you to search for Mz Skeeterʻs instructions for setting the proper blade depth, because thatʻs basically the starting point for cutter setup, and everything else will be configured around that. Itʻs not difficult, just most people donʻt take the time to do it properly.

• Like 1

well guess ill have to save the cash for the sc2  with shipping its over my the max limit of my cc..  

lol prob shouldnt say on the forums here  lmao  might be against TOS LOL!! 

nah i paid off some stuff  etc 

• Like 1