Sign in to follow this  
Guest WilsonFlyer

Contour Cutting-Print Now-Cut Later

Guest WilsonFlyer

Please forgive what may be an absolutely stupid question, but all of this is totally new to me. A couple of questions, if I may.

1. My Epson and HP wide format printers have to be set to some finite paper size so far as I know. They have an auto cut feature that I guess I need to turn off. Is that what I need to do, or does anybody know a way to set the paper width to a certain size and leave the length to infinite? I hope that question makes sense.

2. If I have to cut the sheet manually to preserve precious aqueous printable vinyl, does my cutter care that it's not a normal length sheet so long as it can see the registration marks and there's enough for the feed rollers to work? I'm trying to preserve not to be stingy but to save where I can.

3. On a contour cut, what if I want to print it now, and cut it maybe tomorrow, is there a process for this? I can print now and cut immediately, but shouldn't there be a simple way to save what I've just printed as a contour cut file so when I stick it in my Prismcut tomorrow, I can just bring it up and cut it then?

I hope those questions make sense. I'm a computer veteran but an absolute newbie to this whole process including VM and my Prismcut 28 which is still on the UPS truck as of this moment. :-)

Thank you in advance for any and all guidance you might be willing to provide.

-bob

You will probably want to do some test projects to develop a workflow. You SHOULD be able to print now and then at your convenience do the cut later. Most of the time you will want to be sure that you have enough extra length that the job doesn't run itself out of the cutter. I personally do not print and cut so I only have a limited knowledge and very little specific. My cutter has an optical eye and I have played around with it from time to time but not from the VM program. I am assuming you have a fairly high level of the program? I'd have to look but I think you need at least the DSR version and more likely the XPT level for full RIP software. If you have RIP from your printer hopefully it will interface ohm with VM to perform the contour cut. There are a lot of elements to make print and cut run smoothly. The dedicated print and cut machines are nice because of all being on one platform but I know the other way can work fine too. I'm not a lot of help but I wish you well.

• Thanks 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this