Sign in to follow this  
sjdvn2

Workspace material

Hi all. I've been getting more orders for my side project of making large decals and need a little professional advice. 

When I was just doing a couple a week, I'd cut them out, take them to my kitchen table to weed them, apply xfer tape and prep them for shipping. It was cumbersome, but it worked.

I have a work bench that I built to double as both a router table and can have a worktable placed on top for assembling wood projects. I'd like to make another top for it to use as a workspace for weeding, trimming, taping, etc.

What would you recommend as a work surface? I'm thinking just sanded plywood with a full-coverage self-healing material, but wanted to know what you expert's use.

your idea would work fine - I use the kids air hockey table I repurposed a few years ago as they grew up - just added a self healing mat to the top

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sjdvn2 said:

Hi all. I've been getting more orders for my side project of making large decals and need a little professional advice. 

When I was just doing a couple a week, I'd cut them out, take them to my kitchen table to weed them, apply xfer tape and prep them for shipping. It was cumbersome, but it worked.

I have a work bench that I built to double as both a router table and can have a worktable placed on top for assembling wood projects. I'd like to make another top for it to use as a workspace for weeding, trimming, taping, etc.

What would you recommend as a work surface? I'm thinking just sanded plywood with a full-coverage self-healing material, but wanted to know what you expert's use.

I agree with Dakota, that shoould work fine. I have always wanted a glass top for my workspace but have never made the leap. I hear they are the bomb but might be problematic if you are trying to move it off and on. 

• Like 1

Any preferred sources for a large self healing matt that I can custom order or cut down to size? I have a 24x36 but need something larger

4 hours ago, sjdvn2 said:

Any preferred sources for a large self healing matt that I can custom order or cut down to size? I have a 24x36 but need something larger

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A0-36in-x-48in-EXTRA-LARGE-5-layer-Self-Healing-CUTTING-MAT-Reversible-IN-and-CM/163681921063?hash=item261c33e827:g:Bd8AAOSwmrpc00A1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjdvn2 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jakar-Green-Self-Healing-Cutting-Mat-A0-A1-A2-A3-A4-A5-Double-Sided-cm-mm-Inch/201601371768?hash=item2ef060ce78:g:x~cAAOSwH9tbR0-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cutting-Mat-Self-Healing-5-Layer-Reversible-A0-36-x-48-in-Green-Black-Graduated/193891325878?hash=item2d24d2d7b6:g:VoYAAOSwFE1gKAGK

• Like 1

Go to your big box lumber store and get a sheet of melamine it smooth surface makes for good taping, weeding and clean up is easy 

• Like 2