Sign in to follow this  
_hmpl_

Atlas 15x15 clamshell?

Hi all, I've been eyeing the 15x15 Atlas clamshell press the US Cutter is selling right now.

It looks exactly like the Joto, just a different color. Anyone know if this is basically the same model/maker?

Does anyone have this press? If so, can you tell me if it heats evenly? Does it have good even pressure? Decent components?

Or should I get a different press?

Btw, I tried to call US Cutter to ask a quick question, and waited on hold for 15 minutes before finally giving up. Is that the norm for their customer service?

Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _hmpl_ said:

Hi all, I've been eyeing the 15x15 Atlas clamshell press the US Cutter is selling right now.

It looks exactly like the Joto, just a different color. Anyone know if this is basically the same model/maker?

Does anyone have this press? If so, can you tell me if it heats evenly? Does it have good even pressure? Decent components?

Or should I get a different press?

Btw, I tried to call US Cutter to ask a quick question, and waited on hold for 15 minutes before finally giving up. Is that the norm for their customer service?

Thanks.

Not sure about the Joto but a lot of these are all made in the same factories. It looks to be well built for a budget press. Definitely a few steps up the ladder from the bottom of the barrel and states that it has a well built platen. I have only had one clam (an older Hix) and did not enjoy having the heat platen right above my knuckles but they are more space saving and budget saving as well. I have an auto open Hat press (hotronix) and REALLY like the auto open feature. Not sure how the electro-mag hold down longevity is but it appress to be a clone of the Hotronix magnet. I would say for a start-up that is a pretty good choice. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Not sure about the Joto but a lot of these are all made in the same factories. It looks to be well built for a budget press. Definitely a few steps up the ladder from the bottom of the barrel and states that it has a well built platen. I have only had one clam (an older Hix) and did not enjoy having the heat platen right above my knuckles but they are more space saving and budget saving as well. I have an auto open Hat press (hotronix) and REALLY like the auto open feature. Not sure how the electro-mag hold down longevity is but it appress to be a clone of the Hotronix magnet. I would say for a start-up that is a pretty good choice. 

Thanks for this answer.

I definitely wanted to also get a slide out platen (no room for swing away) but I can't seem to find a decent one that has both auto open and the slide out platen. I know Heat Press Nation has one, but I've already gotten two damaged presses from them in a row and don't trust that their products can arrive intact at this point. So I figure I can sacrifice the slide out tray in favor of the auto open feature, and save myself the pulled muscles of opening a high-pressure machine.

I'll probably buy it tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed that it's a good one.

How is customer support typically at US Cutter?

I tried calling them twice earlier today and was on hold for so long, I gave up. That didn't give me the best feeling that this product would be supported if there are any issues.

Ok so I took the leap and bought the Atlas today. Will report back when I get it for other folks who may be considering this press.

Also, for those who might be curious, here's the Joto press that the Atlas looks identical to (other than the paint color):

https://jotoimagingsupplies.com/joto-auto-release-clamshell-heat-press-15-x-15.html

Apparently, these are also identical to an old version of a European press (sold in Europe, manufactured in China) called Secabo. It's wild how the heat press industry works! Seems to me that if they're not manufactured in the US, they're all basically made by the same few manufacturers in China and then branded with each US company's logos and color schemes.

I'm hoping the USC Atlas is truly the same as the Joto, 'cause if it is, US Cutter is selling it for about $300 less than Joto. Score.

• Like 3

sure looks the same but betting uscutter orders many more containers of them at a time - better price

• Like 3

This is a users forum so we are all pretty familiar with USC. I would say their phone support is a little weak and the techs are probably minimal specific knowledge because they sell so many different products. As for pricing and shipping they have always done me totally (and I mean TOTALLY) solid. I have had a few mistaken shipments that had something wrong, either damaged in transit or something missing. USC always made it right witout any issues at all other than the obvious time to re-ship something. 

• Like 4

Thanks for this. I just got the press today and it's great, except that the auto open doesn't pop up sometimes when the timer gets to zero. I called and talked to a tech who didn't really have any ideas other than for me to send it back. I'm looking up videos first because if there's something I can do here to get it to work right, I'd much rather do that.

For future people who may be searching, I think I managed to fix the issue of the auto open not working properly: one of the bolts that holds the pressing arm together was a little too tight and was stopping it from opening up under lighter pressure. I loosened it a little bit and it seems to have done the trick! 

I'm so glad I don't have to send this beast back.

• Like 2

that is the beauty of the forum - your advise will save someone down the line having the same problem - thanks

• Like 2