Sign in to follow this  
deadtree02

newby ..... question about cutting 2x

Hello, 

If this is in the wrong area please let me know so I can correct in the future.

I am knew to all things vinyl. My school has bought a GCC expert II. I have been tasked with understanding how it operates and I feel comfortable with how I have done so far.

My boss was wondering if they make a cutter that can do 2 cuts at once. We have a laser cutter that both engraves and cuts during the same process. I know vinyl cutters are not the same and  I am pretty sure this is not possible.

Basically my boss would like to cut just the vinyl and cut through the vinyl and paper during the same cut. I told her this could not be done with our current machine... I am just double checking to see if they make a machine that does this

Thank you in advance

No.

The one thing you want to avoid doing is damaging the white nylon 'cutting strip' by having the blade run into it (gouge it) by going through the backing paper of the vinyl.

Your boss needs to rethink her goals.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard deadtree, glad to have you here.  What is your boss trying to achieve by doing this?  Avoiding the expense of the transfer tape?

Slice gave you the correct answer to your question, but if we knew the goal there might be some suggestion for getting there.  What type of work is planned for the cutter?

• Like 1

the graphtec fc series has a special feature for this that will not damage the cut strip but will cost you as much as several of the gcc plotters

• Like 2

I agree, starting with the Graphtec FC8000 on up,  You can do this.  They have a channel on the cutter, and a 2nd position for the blade holder, that cuts over that channel, so no damage to cutting strip. These cutters also have 8 different conditions that can be set for cutting.  You can check for used deals on Ebay, Craigslist, or  Fbook Marketplace.  

• Like 3

That type of cutting is often called Flex-cut or Kiss-Cut. Typically the first cut around a printed object (termed a "contour cut") is done normal then a second cut (usually a little farther out from the original contour cut line) with the FLex-Cut/Kiss-Cut setting cuts the vinyl and periodically pushes on down harder and cuts the carrier sheet as well then pops back up to continue cutting just the vinyl and so on. The decals can later be broken free of the carrier with light finger pressure. This process won't work with regular cut gaphics that need a tranfer paper but does work with printed graphics that have a fairly simple countor shape. If you cut all the way through the carrier sheet all heck will break loose and you lose the integrity of the sheet as it's trying to feed the vinyl back and forth in the pinch rollers. Summa makes a flat-bed cutter than has vacume hold down that can probably cut all the way but I have never used one. 

• Like 2

The GCC expert is a basic entry level cutter .....you’re talking a pretty good jump in price for that quality of machine.

• Like 2