Cal

Heat Transfer to Carpet

Hello Friends - been quite awhile since I've been on.  Life and other priorities, but I hope to get back to doing some vinyl work.

Anyhow, I have a project going on with my truck that I would like some input.  I am putting up a carpeted sound barrier on the rear wall of the cab.  The carpet is a very thin polyester made for doing speaker enclosures and such.  Would something like Siser Easy Weed work on this?  How about using an iron to apply it with?  This is just a one off project for myself and I do not have a heat press.  If the iron will not work, would the Siser work if applied with a heat press?

TIA,

Cal

At your local Big-Box Hobbies shops, there's iron-on transfer materials for sale. They will work with even pressure of an iron, carefully, with parchment paper. Do a test area first.

• Like 1

Siser SAYS it can be applied with a hand iron, at least the regular non stretch version. If you it's in a non wear location you might get it to stay. You wouldn't be out much. I would never recommend using Siser on any garment with a hand iron regardless of what they say though. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Siser SAYS it can be applied with a hand iron, at least the regular non stretch version. If you it's in a non wear location you might get it to stay. You wouldn't be out much. I would never recommend using Siser on any garment with a hand iron regardless of what they say though. 

Thanks Goose.  Since it's not a garmet and washing won't apply to it, it might hold up.  Reckon we will try it on some scrap first to see what it looks like.

• Like 1

We have to see this end result.  As the saying goes -- It never happened if there aren't photos! (or videos, even).

Speaking of trucks, I wanted to do some heat-transfers onto hats for truckers (ball caps) :  
If You Can Read This, You're Standing Too Damn Close

• Like 2

10 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Speaking of trucks, I wanted to do some heat-transfers onto hats for truckers (ball caps) :  
If You Can Read This, You're Standing Too Damn Close

:D

I picked up some Siser HTV today and will hopefully practice with a few scraps to get the hang of it tomorrow.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cal said:

:D

I picked up some Siser HTV today and will hopefully practice with a few scraps to get the hang of it tomorrow.

Just remember to MIRROR the cut. You are cutting on the adhesive side.

doh.gif

• Haha 1

I don’t know about speaker carpet, but normal carpet will melt pretty easily, made the mistake of trying to iron something on the floor once. 

since this is a fixed install, won’t be washed and wrinkled like normal clothes, you could probably het away with normal vinyl even. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I don’t know about speaker carpet, but normal carpet will melt pretty easily, made the mistake of trying to iron something on the floor once. 

since this is a fixed install, won’t be washed and wrinkled like normal clothes, you could probably het away with normal vinyl even. 

I can speak to this already I think.  The way the carpet comes, for some strange reason it is folded and then rolled up... so it had a very noticeable crease down the middle.  SWMBO was able to iron it out ::)  Even though the carpet is 100% poly, she ironed it on cotton! :o  But it's all good, no damage done.

I've watched a couple Siser youtubes, I think we are going to try a few scraps tonight to check for technique and how it actually looks.  I've also got a cutting mat (borrowed) coming tonight.  I will have to watch a couple you tubes on that too as I've never used a mat yet.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:19 AM, slice&dice said:

We have to see this end result.  As the saying goes -- It never happened if there aren't photos! (or videos, even).

Here you go Slice.  The wife ironed them on today and we are both pretty happy with the results.  After this pic I attached the carpet to the backer board with some contact cement and it is airing out the rest of today and overnight before I mount it in the truck.

Maybe it was beginners luck, but it was a pretty neat little project.  Unfortunately, wifey is now stoked about doing some T shirts for her nephews!  Oh well, they will be cheap birthday presents this year, there is that :)

IMG_2850D.thumb.jpg.0e52c8e55b9534f05f9d2dfc918a8022.jpg

• Like 3