SIGNTIST

Dealing with Dinosaur Vinyl Cutting Equipment

Hello! I'm new here. I have been in the sign business for years, using our Ioline Studio 8 cutter and I also do hand lettering. In my vinyl sign business, I use CorelDRAW 12 to create graphics that Im able to cut, directly out of CorelDraw, using CoCut Pro.. This system still works, but there are hiccups and I feel its time to get ready to replace either all of it or some of it.  The laptop that runs the Ioline cutter is a piece of junk. It crashes if you look at it wrong. Issue is, my deceased husband, who was very computer savvy, set it up years ago and its been all I have to use, so since then, I milk it along. HOWEVER--I'm ready for some change!

My first plan was to try and replace the computer with another old Dell laptop, what has all the requirements to run that software, however my attempt failed for some reason and it will not talk to the cutter. I even hired a computer nerd to come see if he could get it going and he failed also. So frustrated. 

Sooo- Once again I visit this idea of replace---what? All of it?, some of it? or none of it?? 

So heres "Plan B-2"My dad had a Roland PNC 950 which I acquired once he passed away in 2004, so its just been collecting dust. I've been thinking for a few years now I'd like to replace my cutting tools. I see that its reached its end of life with Roland. It appears I could download the driver for it. The cutter still works and its an option if it will work with my old dell. 

Questions for all of you-

1.) Is anyone out there using CoCut Pro? If so HELP.

2.) If I were to resell my two cutters, any idea if they are valuable to anybody?

3.) What would be a good NEW software/cutter package to get into. Im not looking to get into something super expensive but not a Cricut either. 

4.) Are you a MAC user and if so any comments? I do have a laptop Macbook and also a newer desk top model from maybe 2014 or 2015 that I have access to. I read that the Roland (at least the newer ones can talk to a Mac / Illustrator. as well as Corel. 

Thank you for your time reading this and any comments will help!

Janet

Looks like CoCut Pro should work for you no matter what you decide, just a matter of setting it up for the cutter. If you can't figure that out, SignBlazer is a pretty decent cutting/design program and is free. Search the forums, there are links to where it can be downloaded from. The other popular program on here is Vinyl Master. Since you already use Corel for creating your images all you would need would be Vinyl Master Cut. It has limited design features but all the cut features you would need.

I suspect that the communication between the computer and laptop is the same issue as most user's find themselves with. Windows has assigned a specific COM Port number to you cutter, and you need to make sure that your cutting software has the same matching number. Open that up, and see what Windows assigned to it, then find the corresponding communications port setting in your cutting software and set it to the same number.

415792491_devicemanager.png.df3b4319f4e14aab413ee22d283195e2.png