Sign in to follow this  
SherriMilkie

blade does not engage to cut

Was having trouble with blade completing cuts for letters, leaving a tiny gap which created weeding problems/tears.  Decided to change blade, although it was just a few weeks old, and now it won't cut at all.  The knife housing goes up and down and moves as it should, but the blade does not engage at all.  The blade is set to correct height, the offset is set to .25 for 45 degree blade.  (tried several blades as well).   I have cleaned the blade housing.  Could it be coincidental that the blade housing needs replacement at exact time of blade change.  I have the US Cutter LP-801.

just so we are starting off on the right foot - what is the correct way you set your blade depth? - your issue could have been solved by adding overcut to your work if your software allows for that like flexi and vinylmaster does 

4 hours ago, SherriMilkie said:

Was having trouble with blade completing cuts for letters, leaving a tiny gap which created weeding problems/tears.  Decided to change blade, although it was just a few weeks old, and now it won't cut at all.  The knife housing goes up and down and moves as it should, but the blade does not engage at all.  The blade is set to correct height, the offset is set to .25 for 45 degree blade.  (tried several blades as well).   I have cleaned the blade housing.  Could it be coincidental that the blade housing needs replacement at exact time of blade change.  I have the US Cutter LP-801.

You have stated that the blade depth height is correct, but there are too many bad instructions out there for setting the blade depth. We don't know what you have done.  Don't use any instructions that have to do with a a credit card or post it notes. They are wrong.  This is how to set the blade depth correctly.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder

• Like 1

Check the cutting strip. If you have a lot of slash marks on it, then the blade will not get the right amount of resistance to make the cut. If that's the case, it's time for the cutting strip to be replaced.

Check your blade holder, make sure there is not debris it. I usually find teeny tiny pieces of vinyl in it every once in a while, which can cause the blade to have a different offset, and even bind the blade so it doesn't rotate properly.

Make sure the blade can spin freely in the blade holder. Add a tiny drop of sewing machine oil if necessary.

Dial in the correct blade depth, as instructed by Skeeter.

Make sure the blade holder is in the tightened properly to the blade carriage.

Don't burn through your vinyl just cutting the design from the get go. Use the test function from the control panel on the cutter, and see what you get.

Offset on your machine can differ, even between the same model. I found the sweet spot for my LP to be .27, so when you have time and a little vinyl to spare, you can test out which offset is optimal for you.

Keep us posted on your progress.