Hippie459MN

MH871 suddenly stopped responding at all.

I have a very early model MH871 (Non MK2 model) and its been great for a lot of years but all of a sudden I went to use it and in Signblazer it will say its sending output to cutter but the cutter doesnt respond what so ever. It just sits there and does nothing. If I press the test button on the cutter it will make the little test pattern just fine. If I disconnect the DB9 (Serial) cable from the cutter or computer it will say it cant initialize so it is communicating somewhat cause it know if its connected to the computer or not. Im on a Win7 machine hooked up via the serial port (Not USB. Was having issue with that a while back). Now I hadnt cut anything for about 3-4 months and its was moved since a bit and I turned it on the other day, went to cut a job, and nothing. Any ideas? Mother board? Z-Axis chip (I think I have one or two around here as I have had to replace them before). Maybe the memory chip? I do have some 4mb memory chips that have never been installed. Any help or ideas would be great. Nothing on my computer has changed as its pretty much used only for my cutter.

Usually when the cutter and SB don't get along, the message will pop up saying "error initializing cutter" but you are not getting that.

Verify that Com ports are set to the same one in both SB and Windows.

If it's making the test pattern, then your Z-chip is fine.

The thing is, absolutely nothing has changed since I used it last that I can see. If the serial cable is plugged in, it will send the job to the cutter, but the cutter itself just sits there. If I dissconect the serial cable from the cutter, then I will get the "error initializing cutter" message. I am wondering if the I/O board is bad maybe. I dont know. I wish I had another computer to check it with.

I totally redid my office and my mother helped me and she moved the cutter (on the stand, which was on the wood floor) and she never unplugged it or anything when she moved it so im wondering if maybe static got to something. And it being older, im guessing parts arent going to be a thing unless I can find someone with one they have laying around. lol

They still make the MH, not the same rev so you'd probably have to replace all the electronics inside. Not really worth it in time or money. Sounds like you've had a good run with it though, may be time to step up to the next level and get an SC. They are still pretty cheap and from what I understand a pretty good step up in cut quality/performance.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, darcshadow said:

They still make the MH, not the same rev so you'd probably have to replace all the electronics inside. Not really worth it in time or money. Sounds like you've had a good run with it though, may be time to step up to the next level and get an SC. They are still pretty cheap and from what I understand a pretty good step up in cut quality/performance.

I was looking at them. I just might do that. Im going to see if US cutter has any parts for this older MH871 also.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:55 PM, slice&dice said:

I would do this ---  uninstall the older SignBlazer. Reboot the computer.

Install the v7.0.0. and select RedSail for the model.

Your link just goes right back to this topic. Also, I dont know why it would all of a sudden just stop working after like 4 or 5 years when no setting or anything have changed. I think something on the cutters motherboard finally bit the dust maybe. I have had it like 12 years. lol