sophie reynolds

I can get my cutter to plot -please help :)

Hi, I was wondering if you could help.

I have a Roland camm1 PCN-960 which has now given me brain-fog.  I have run out of ideas. 

I can't get it to work :(  I dropped my old laptop so had to get another one.  I have installed the driver so that it is compatible with Window XP

I downloaded the driver from the roland website

I am strapped for cash so decided to use flexisign pro 7 as I've not upgraded as I only to simple cuts. 

I have got a parallel to USB adapter.

And I have tried everything and I still can't get it to work.  I've tried to make sure it runs of identical ports and tried every combination I can think of.  See photos below of the attempts I've made (with little to none progress).  Its gone from "not be being able to communicate with the production manager", to "cannot open port" to "out of paper".

I've been tackling this alone for a few days now and I just can't figure it out.

I should say, I'm a little bit slow so if you can show me what to do with pictures where necessary I would be so grateful.  I know a little bit about computers but not very much.

I hope to get my cutter working soon.

Thanks for your help.

image1(3).jpeg

image2(1).jpeg

Yes, you have set your cutting software to COM1, however, as you posted your (top) screen shot of the Device Manager, the COM1 (and COM3) have errors on them.

You need to resolve that, by finding the correct driver for those ports before the computer will relay any information through it.

I also had an error on the LPT1 port but I put in the IP address as part of my problem solving and the next thing I know the error is gone.

I just don't know what to do.  But so grateful that you have replied.  You can see I'm at whits-end now!

Just now, Dakotagrafx said:

Did you load the drivers for that usb to serial adapter? 

I'm not sure where I got it from - ebay I think.  Sorry, I'm a little confused, I thought it was just a matter of plug and play.  This is a photo of the adapter that I have connected to the plot and my laptop.  Sorry for being such a dufus

image1(4).jpeg

8 minutes ago, sophie reynolds said:

I'm not sure where I got it from - ebay I think.  Sorry, I'm a little confused, I thought it was just a matter of plug and play.  This is a photo of the adapter that I have connected to the plot and my laptop.  Sorry for being such a dufus

image1(4).jpeg

Usually the place that sells the adapter has the drivers for the chipset in that plug to make it work

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Usually the place that sells the adapter has the drivers for the chipset in that plug to make it work

i don't know what you mean.  i bought it years ago and I may have installed the driver when i first got it.  but i can't remember.

I'm looking for the driver on the internet.  But its 3am here in London and I promised myself that I would get it working before i went to sleep.

28 minutes ago, sophie reynolds said:

Hi, thank you for getting back to me so promptly.  Do you have any idea how I can get rid of the errors?

Yes, you have have to find the right drivers for those ports.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, haumana said:

Yes, you have have to find the right drivers for those ports.

I am trying to work where and how at the moment.  if you know, please tell me.  thank you :)

You can try right clicking on the errored port, then go into properties.

Go into the Details tab. Under Property, select Hardware IDs. The Value box should pop up  a bunch of text that kind looks random, but it's not.

Google one of the strings and type driver after the string (i.e. "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_100F&USBSYS_04001AB8&REV_00 driver" without the quotes). Hopefully that will lead to you some results that might get you a driver. IF needed, add Windows XP to the search text as well (assuming that you're using windows xp)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, haumana said:

Go into the Details tab. Under Property, select Hardware IDs. The Value box should pop up  a bunch of text that kind looks random, but it's not.

Google one of the strings and type driver after the string (i.e. "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_100F&USBSYS_04001AB8&REV_00 driver" without the quotes). Hopefully that will lead to you some results that might get you a driver. IF needed, add Windows XP to the search text as well (assuming that you're using windows xp)

Sorry.  I'm so sorry but I thought it was the universal serial bus controller and I really don't know what you mean.  I'm so sorry for not understanding your instructions.

I just looked at what you told me to do and this is what I see...

image1(6).jpeg

image2(3).jpeg

image3(1).jpeg

image4.jpeg

26 minutes ago, haumana said:

Hi Haumana and Dakotagrafx,

you both have been very kind and patient with me so I just wanted to say thank you.

It's 4am here and I just can't keep my eyes open any longer.

If you are able to give you photos of what I need to do that would be great as that is the only way I understand how to do things.  Sorry, it's how I copy things so they end up working.  i understand if you too busy - who has time these days :)  I'm forever being told "I'm too busy".

I appreciate the help you have given me.  I should be back in about 4-5 hours if you are still around :)

9 hours ago, haumana said:

This is the closest I can come up with for a driver. I don't know what kind of hardware, software and operating system you're working with, so I had to hazard a few guesses.

Hopefully it won't seem so frustrating after a good nights sleep. :D

https://www.digi.com/support/productdetail?pid=1916&type=drivers

You are wonderful!

I feel silly for not knowing to do that myself... :|

I didn't end up going to sleep until 6am because my brain wouldn't shut down.  Hopefully it does the trick.

Hi, thank you so much for helping me last night.  Yesterday I felt defeated and very isolated due to the fact that I was extremely tired.

This morning however, I slept better (which I've not done so for days) and felt much better - positive so thank you.  I REALLY appreciate it and can't thank you enough for giving me your support :)

So I downloaded the driver and the error sign has gone which is fabulous.  I've made sure the cut/plot is pointing to COM1 and also made sure the cutter in printers and faxes is also set to COM1 too.  Is there something that I haven't done because it still isn't working?

image1(7).jpeg

image1(8).jpeg

image2(4).jpeg

Uncheck the other set ups.  LP1    TCP/IP...  You have all 3 checked in Production manager..  Only the Com 1 should be checked in Production Manager..   If Com 1 doesn't work, then match com 2 in both or com 3 in both.   Also make sure you delete those errors (cannot open port) in Production manager before sending again. 

Also why do you have HOLD IN LIST?   Change it to SEND NOW.  Under your sizes...left side of layout screen.

21 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Uncheck the other set ups.  You have all 3 checked in Production manager..  Only the Com 1 should be checked.   If Com 1 doesn't work, then match com 2 in both or com 3 in both. 

H Mz Skeeter!

I deleted all of them and then went to production manager and pressed 'add setup' to COM1 and really prayed that it would work... Only now it says it can't communicate with the production manager :(

image1(9).jpeg

Have you tried rebooting your computer after installing the driver and setting up the Flexi? It looks like your computer is blocking Flexi.    Try Turning off your firewall.   Or try running it in SAFE MODE.

Also you stated you are using Flexi 7,  So, what computer Operating system did you put it on?  Your new laptop? 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Have you tried rebooting your computer after installing the driver and setting up the Flexi? It looks like your computer is blocking Flexi.    Try Turning off your firewall. 

Yes, I've rebooted the laptop and turned the firewall off.  And its still not wanting to co-operate with me.  Please see photos

image1(10).jpeg

image2(5).jpeg

Did you try it in SAFE MODE? F8?     And make sure that nothing as changed in your device manager and that it still says COM 1 if that is what your using.   Did you try the other com ports?    Matching Com port 2 to com 2 in Flexi  same with com 3?   I stated above  Change the HOLD IN LIST to SEND NOW. 

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you try it in SAFE MODE? F8?     And make sure that nothing as changed in your device manager and that it still says COM 1 if that is what your using.   Did you try the other com ports?    Matching Com port 2 to com 2 in Flexi  same with com 3?   I stated above  Change the HOLD IN LIST to SEND NOW. 

I'll try that now

I'm using windows XP

Also , have you looked at your user manual?  You can find it on line.  That cutter has dip switch settings that control it. They must be on the correct settings to work. I read a little of it last night.