dvddvd

Any tips on application tape, fixing? wide stuff!

Hi I want to cut some 24 inch x 60 inch wall art from vinyl and then apply the application tape to it.

Ive done smaller pieces before with 12 inch application tape but never with 24 inch wide application tape.

Is there any tips to make it easier or any rigs that can be made to make it easier?

thanks

5 hours ago, dvddvd said:

Hi I want to cut some 24 inch x 60 inch wall art from vinyl and then apply the application tape to it.

Ive done smaller pieces before with 12 inch application tape but never with 24 inch wide application tape.

Is there any tips to make it easier or any rigs that can be made to make it easier?

thanks

DVDDVD

Check this out.  I have one and it works great.  They are giving a free sample of application tape with it.  I've used mine with 24" wide tape.

https://www.uscutter.com/Application-Tape-Roller-Package

I did  make a modification to mine though.  I moved the rollers closer to the table top by drilling 4 new holes to lower the rollers.

That app roller rig sits on the edge of a table with a flange, but I find that it's best to anchor it to the table with 2 C-clampsimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMWTgHi7UjUZEwnzeEkzI.

Thanks I've ordered one and see how it goes?

If the work was 6 foot long would I be able to pull out 6 foot of application tape and then stick it at the end and then work toward the roll with a squeegee?

If you had a helper to keep tension on the app tape that could work but the tape will droop as you pull it off and it'll drop to the vinyl in the middle before you get the end down.

I've not done many long items but the few I have done I've used a home made version of the Big Squeegee, https://www.uscutter.com/Aluminum-Big-Squeegee-Laminator-Tool

Mine didn't work as well as in the videos, but it worked well enough I could see where the real one would be worth it if I was doing a bunch of long designs.

Thanks so could i do it in 2 pieces? Would it come apart when i tried to remove the backing paper? thanks

Piecing app tape together to cover the entire design is not recommended, but if you can get it so the seams are not over the vinyl it can be made to work. The problem with the seam being on the vinyl is you are more likely to get bubbles along the seam.

Trial and error, see what works best for you. I have a big squeegee and the app tape is so tight when it turns around the edge of the squeegee it sometimes puts a crease in the tape. When using the rollers, the tape droops or static sometimes makes the vinyl fly up and stick itself to the app tape. I can use either one but neither has worked 100% of the time for me.

I usually unroll the app tape sticky side up and cut it off, then roll up the vinyl face out and unroll it onto the app tape. I squeegee from the back as I unroll, then flip it over and give it a quick squeegee from the front. 5ft seems long but it's really perfect for learning. It's long enough to be a little challenge and see what works best, but still a manageable length. Wait til you're applying app tape to a 20ft design on a 6ft table!

4 hours ago, dvddvd said:

If the work was 6 foot long would I be able to pull out 6 foot of application tape and then stick it at the end and then work toward the roll with a squeegee?

Yes, that's how it's done.

After you've tried it a few times, the advice of DWP99 above may be relevant to your skill set when laying it down.

Also, I prefer a 6" squeegee rather than the shortie 4" -- and I am a huge fan of the YelloTool gold squeegee. It's well worth the $7.19

On 9/13/2020 at 8:06 PM, slice&dice said:

That app roller rig sits on the edge of a table with a flange, but I find that it's best to anchor it to the table with 2 C-clampsimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMWTgHi7UjUZEwnzeEkzI.

Yup I use 2 C-clamps to hold it to the table.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:12 PM, dvddvd said:

You sure can, you just got to keep it tight.   clamp it to the table, lay the decal on the table in front of the rollers and pull off enough tape to cover the whole decal.  keeping the Tape tight lay one end of it past the decal and stick it to the table.  Start squeegeeing just be careful because the app tape and decal can pull back up off of the table and when you go back to make another pass with the squeegee you can get wrinkles.   Use your other hand to help hold the app tape and decal on the table where you have squeegeed.  It can take some practice.

image.thumb.png.c962b8708e9a250551bb8a0b441ad195.png