BCD

Transfer Tape help

I currently use Oracal 651 vinyl and a med/hev clear transfer tape.

I make and ship 90% of my decals.

I have been having lots of trouble with customers that can not get the decals to transfer.

I check a lot of the decals after I make them to make sure they will lift but customers cant get it !

Is there a better vinyl that transfers easier ?

Am I push the transfer tape down to hard when I make them , then the customer does not have enough sticky when they get it?

Is the heat messing things up ?

I am self taught for all this and would great appreciate any help

Thank u 

use paper tape - clear is for people selling at flea markets - 4075rla or 4076rla is my go to 

You don't lift the decals from the backing. You squeegee the transfer tape down real good, Turn the decal transfer tape  down, and peel the backing away. You will lift the wax paper backing right up with the decal when you are trying to lift the decal. Then you will have paper stuck to your decal.  ( I actually write this on my instructions.)  I never have problems from my customers about this.    It makes a big difference. Also if your cutting too deep, you will push the vinyl right into the backing.   Paper tape only.  

• Like 1

Now the flipping over part I do not put in my instructions.

I tell them to rub the transfer side firmly before trying to remove it.

I had some trouble cutting to deep , it was actually  ripping the paper too.

Should the cut make a slight impression on the backing paper ? I try to cut to where it weeds fairly easy and only leave a slight impression on the backing paper 

Thanks !

But your not telling them what to remove..  You peel away the wax paper backing, decal face down.  Very easy. 

If you have never seen the blade depth instructions posted on this forum, you should make sure your blade depth is set correctly.  You want just a slight mark on the wax paper backing, that way you know you have cut the vinyl and the adhesive.   Too many incorrect blade depth instructions out there.  You don't set your blade depth to the thickness of a credit card or a post it note. You set it to the thickness of the actual vinyl your cutting. Vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick, so you only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

Appreciate it !

I just retyped my instructions and will definitely check blade depth.

I use to use paper but it does not look as good and the paper does not stick to the backing, so u end up with flaps.

Now on BIG stuff I tell customers I am gonna use paper because that will let them use a wet application.

I ship everything I do and only use paper. Thousands.   My niche' is very large decals up to 16 ft long, 22" wide.  I put a couple pieces of cellophane tape on the ends.  No big deal.   Never had a complaint. 

• Like 1

How the heck do you ship BIG decals ?

I have been rolling them up.

I started with tubes and now I use a box but USPS seems to like to destroy the boxes.

Do u have ur own website Skeeter ? Love to see what ya got.

Unline.com has about any size box that you need. When your dealing with large expensive decals, it is very easy to just figure shipping costs in with price and offer free shipping.   I use long open top boxes very sturdy.  . I no longer show my website.   My decals are rolled loosely to fit in 24" L x  6" x 6" boxes. (open top long)    I also have 30" L 18" L and 12"L  all 6 x 6

Yep I was using open end for awhile 4 x 4 x 36 but USPS crushed several so I went to a open on the sides that seems to be tougher. 

Really my biggest is 23 X 14

I bought 100 4 X 4 X 15 and actually saved a few cents each.

No biggie on the website man , I totally understand.

Hey dont know if you know, I posted it in another section, I have a MH721-MK2 been a good machine but the blade no longer goes up and down. What is the part called that makes it do that ?

It looks to be some kind of solenoid but did not see anything on US Cutter website.

I already answered that question in your other post earlier.   My boxes are 200 pound test.   I have never had any crushed or damaged.   I also keep many different sizes of transfer tape rolls. 6" up to 30"