ManFromMobay

Computer not detecting LaserPoint 3

Got my cutter yesterday, assembled it today and connected it to my laptop at first via USB, went to Vinyl Spooler in VM to setup the connection.  After hitting detect and it goes to step 1 and I turn off the cutter it automatically goes to step 2, after turning it back on VM doesn't detect it. Tried it in different USB ports on the laptop, same issue. Plugged it in my desktop, same issue. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Tried it with 2 different cables, checking to see if it was maybe that.

Did you download the driver, and install for the USB connection?  USB on a value cutter is not True USB like higher end cutters.  After you download the driver, reboot your computer.  It creates a com port number in your computer device manager.  The com port numbers have to match in your computer device manager as well as your software.   Vinyl cutters are not plug and play.

From UScutter.com support

In most cases, all needed PC drivers will be preloaded in VinylMaster. If you need to download and install drivers for the USB connection to work properly go to www.uscuttersupport.com and select the driver that supports your Windows version.

#12 in user manual.

https://www.uscutter.com/static/PDFs/LP3user_manual_FINAL_07_09_2019.pdf

• Like 2

After you sort out this minor issue, please provide us with some videos and feedback on how you are liking the LP3 ----  it ticks off a lot of boxes for an introductory level cutter, with features like a stand with media holder included; superior tracking roller mechanisms; quieter operation; and more.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you download the driver, and install for the USB connection?  USB on a value cutter is not True USB like higher end cutters.  After you download the driver, reboot your computer.  It creates a com port number in your computer device manager.  The com port numbers have to match in your computer device manager as well as your software.

In most cases, all needed PC drivers will be preloaded in VinylMaster. If you need to download and install drivers for the USB connection to work properly go to www.uscuttersupport.com and select the driver that supports your Windows version.

#12 in user manual.

I didn't! I just did though, I've been away from my office for the last 2 days, headed there today to get caught up on some order. I'll let you know the outcome.

Problem solved! Cutter is working perfect, first cut was successful. Surprised that I got the blade depth and pressure right on the first try. 

16 minutes ago, ManFromMobay said:

Problem solved! Cutter is working perfect, first cut was successful. Surprised that I got the blade depth and pressure right on the first try. 

How did you set your blade depth?  Too many incorrect instructions out there. Never use a credit card width or post it notes to set blade depth. They are incorrect and about 10 times too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManFromMobay said:

How did you solve the problem? Please let us know, so that others may learn as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

How did you set your blade depth?  Too many incorrect instructions out there. Never use a credit card width or post it notes to set blade depth. They are incorrect and about 10 times too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. 

So... I'm guilty lol I did use the credit card method, only because the manual suggested it. I also used the recommended force and speed from the manual, 300 speed and 70 for force

2 hours ago, haumana said:

How did you solve the problem? Please let us know, so that others may learn as well.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you download the driver, and install for the USB connection?  USB on a value cutter is not True USB like higher end cutters.  After you download the driver, reboot your computer.  It creates a com port number in your computer device manager.  The com port numbers have to match in your computer device manager as well as your software.   Vinyl cutters are not plug and play.

#12 in user manual.

All I did was everything Mz Skeeter suggested. Installed the Laser Point II driver, even though I have the LPIII it still worked. After restart, went to device manager and found the Port #, went into VM and manually chose that com port and it worked!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ManFromMobay said:

So... I'm guilty lol I did use the credit card method, only because the manual suggested it. I also used the recommended force and speed from the manual, 300 speed and 70 for force

You would probably be back eventually with lifted vinyl and other problems. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You would probably be back eventually with lifted vinyl and other problems. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

I forgot to mention that I also did that after using the card to set the depth, did a few tests before loading it. I've seen so many people saying they messed up their cutting strip, I was beyond paranoid doing my first cut

5 minutes ago, ManFromMobay said:

I forgot to mention that I also did that after using the card to set the depth, did a few tests before loading it. I've seen so many people saying they messed up their cutting strip, I was beyond paranoid doing my first cut

Totally understandable. That's what replacement cutting strips are for ;)

• Like 1

And people stop ready the instructions. The ones I read that mention the credit card say it's a starting point and then go on to describe basically Skeeter's method for setting blade depth. Although it used paper rather than vinyl. ???

• Like 1

many buy a plotter expecting it to be like hooking up and using a printer - then vaporlock instead of reading. . .  . but we get most of them thru it