Sign in to follow this  
iansalter91

GX-24 Vinyl sticks to blade?

Hey all, not sure if I will find a solution to this or if the problem is in fact simple but I am attempting to cut some 20cm big stickers but finding the vinyl itself just comes off and sticks around the blade causing total chaos and ripping up the whole thing.

I had the odd bit of success but the more I try, the worse it gets. 

The vinyl is sign vinyl (Poli-cut 6000) from xpres so not sure if that itself is the problem or not? Just as baffling, the black vinyl cuts better than the white.

I have tried three different blades and different cutting pressures and even cutting speeds, all to the same result.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? It cuts the same design out of heat press clothing vinyl with no issues at all.

Also to add to that, I am using Illustrator for the design and then importing it into Roland Cut Studio as a .eps

a362491a-9d35-462e-b2ad-3fec61f8fa65.jpg

I used to do a LOT of small thin delicate cuts and the best advice is use that absolute least amount of blade exposure, a 60 degree cleancut brand blade and make sure your blade holder is clean and oiled - next part won't help you much but my graphtecs cut a lot finer detail than my rolands ever did 

Most problems with lifting vinyl while cutting is too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. Most vinyl is only 2.5-3 mil thick, you should only be cutting with the very tip of the blade.  No using a credit card or post it notes for measuring blade depth.  You measure the depth with the vinyl that your are cutting. Here is how and works great, solves many problems. For detailed designs run the cutter slow. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Most problems with lifting vinyl while cutting is too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. Most vinyl is only 2.5-3 mil thick, you should only be cutting with the very tip of the blade.  No using a credit card or post it notes for measuring blade depth.  You measure the depth with the vinyl that your are cutting. Here is how and works great, solves many problems. For detailed designs run the cutter slow. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

Forgivd the possible newbie responce but my blade is not adjustable at all? This is the one I have and there is no way to adjust it...

https://www.xpres.co.uk/blade-for-roland-cutter-includes-holder-0-25mm-offset

What is the blue part on the holder for?   By the way, never have I ever seen such a blade holder. :wacko:   This is what a Roland Blade holder looks like in the US.and it is adjustable. You  may not get anywhere until you get a real blade holder and blades. What your showing, looks like some kind of throw away. 

https://www.uscutter.com/Roland-Blade-Holder

You need this, and it is not in stock.  Possibly can pick one up at another cutter dealer or Ebay. 

https://www.xpres.co.uk/roland-gx24-blade-holder-xd-ch3

• Like 1

Definitely get a blade holder that will allow you to adjust the blade type and the depth.

Smaller designs and texts, make sure you slow the speed down ... the smaller the design, the slower the speed. If you cannot adjust the depth at the moment, try adjusting the force. I don't know if you can actually test this, but make sure that the blade can spin freely in the holder, because if it doesn't - you kind of get the results you've been getting, because anything other than the leading edge of the blade can pickup vinyl and snag it.

19 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

What is the blue part on the holder for?   By the way, never have I ever seen such a blade holder. :wacko:   This is what a Roland Blade holder looks like in the US.and it is adjustable. You  may not get anywhere until you get a real blade holder and blades. What your showing, looks like some kind of throw away. 

https://www.uscutter.com/Roland-Blade-Holder

You need this, and it is not in stock.  Possibly can pick one up at another cutter dealer or Ebay. 

https://www.xpres.co.uk/roland-gx24-blade-holder-xd-ch3

19 hours ago, haumana said:

Definitely get a blade holder that will allow you to adjust the blade type and the depth.

Smaller designs and texts, make sure you slow the speed down ... the smaller the design, the slower the speed. If you cannot adjust the depth at the moment, try adjusting the force. I don't know if you can actually test this, but make sure that the blade can spin freely in the holder, because if it doesn't - you kind of get the results you've been getting, because anything other than the leading edge of the blade can pickup vinyl and snag it.

Thanks for the help :)

So it turns out that the blade is adjustable! I have adjusted it so its barely out of the tip of the holder as you said but still getting mixed results, I do wonder if the design is just way too detailed.

Another odd issue though, its almost as though the pressure changes from the left to right... So any design i align to the left side of the plotter cuts ok, the further to the right I go the worse it gets and the more destructive it seems to get.

Edit: to further add to that, I am noticing on some of them it seems to completely miss a certain cut, again its irregular.. some it cuts, some it doesn't.

Ok so it is adjustable, then set your blade depth to how I told you before. You have to set the blade depth to the vinyl that your cutting.  You can't just look at it and say it is just barely out of the blade holder.   Set the blade depth to the vinyl. Vinyl is only 2.5 -3 mil, and you only cut with the very tip of the blade. You have to test that, you can't guess it. The correct combination is less blade, more force. 

• Like 1

If you can get the machine dialed in, you can definitely do intricate stuff.

If you getting inconsistent cutting depths across the cutting surface, you might need to replace the cutting strip.

Now that you've discovered that the blade is adjustable, check the blade holder for debris as well.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's really helped but I was still having issues... I have done a bit of research after continuing to have the same problems and I noticed the cutting strip is destroyed with deep scratches and gouges out of it! That explains a lot of my problems of uneven cuts as if the pressure changes, the far left hand side of the cutting strip is more or less spotless which is the side I get perfect cuts with, the further to the right I go the worse it gets.

Better yet, replacements are pretty cheap!

https://www.xpres.co.uk/roland-cutting-protection-strip-for-cxgx-24

20200620_195529.jpg