I bought one of these swing presses :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281918980519

It has a temp gauge but without spending £40 on a digital infrared thermometer has anybody got one of these models  and verify how accurate the temperature is?

Also how do I know if the pressure is correct? It has a big plastic screw on the pivot which you tighten up or down for more or less pressure but how do you know if its correct? Many thanks

Assume the temp gauge is accurate.

Leave the pressure adjustment at whatever position it was set from the factory.

Thanks I recieved it and it was at its maximum setting with a gap between both plates?

I did see a video on you tube that shows you putting half a sheet of A4 paper in between both plates and adjusting until it grips it not letting you pull it out so have done that and will see how it goes thanks

Platens are adjustable because the thicknesses of fabrics are not all the same. A hoodie is not equal to a T-shirt.

You DEFINITELY want to verify the temp with an infrared. Maybe you can borrow one from someone. 

On the pressure, I would look at the springs when I was using my original swinger. I used them as a gauge of sorts. I tend, even now, to press a little harder than take a chance on being too light. The worst you will see is if you over press it will start to squeeze out the adhesive along the edges. 

• Like 1

From my experience with the paper test it was WAY to light of pressure.  I've done some shirts at that pressure that looked alright (because I didn't know what I was looking at) and started to peel when being worn or washed once.  

I would invest in the temp gun.  I ran the calibration test on my press when I first got it and mine ended up not being too bad (maybe 5* F), especially for a cheap clam but I've seen a lot people say theirs were off 20* - 30* F.  

Here's two things that helped me the most:

1.)  Somewhere along the line I read that with Siser Easyweed (and Easyweed Stretch to some extent) when the pressure & temp are right and you look closely you should be able to see the texture of the fabric in the vinyl.  Those first shirts I did weren't even close to this.  Maybe Wildgoose or someone that does a lot more HTV than me can confirm this.

2.)  I wear a white cotton T-shirt under my Polos for work everyday.  So I bought a new 10 pack of shirts and then cut out text "Sample 1" through "Sample 10" in Easyweed Stretch and then experimented with temp & pressure using the paper test as my starting point.  Worked great with minimal expense and it doesn't matter what the shirts looked like cause they're always covered up anyway.

• Like 1

I saw someone on YouTube using heat strips, they stuck them on pieces of paper one in each corner and one in the middle and then shut the press and then read the temps on each one. The only ones I can find on ebay in the UK are forehead ones for measuring body temp so do not go high enough for the temps on a heat press.

The £40 infrared heat guns on ebay are all chinese made cheap ones so not calibrated so not sure how accurate they are?

Calibrated Fluke ones are £200 

I've emailed the supplier to see if hes had any feedback on how accurate the temp gauge on press is

I'm sure it'll be good enough. You're not needed extremely precise measurements, I'm sure it's with in a degree or two, you'll be good.

Most presses, especially the budget models, will have an area or two that are a little lower than the rest. Set it so that cooler area (if yours has one) is the correct temp. HTV is pretty forgiving and many brands have a fairly wide temp range. I tend to go a little on the long side and with plenty of pressure but at the correct temp. I bought my temp gun at an auto parts store I think. 

The Easyweed regular will definitely show the weave of the fabric like was mentioned above. That's the "tried and true" method. Stretch doesn't show nearly like regular. Stretch has also changed their recommended heat and time where they used to be the very same. Still 305 F for 12-15 for regular but it's 32o for stretch and 20 seconds for stretch now. They were having problems and changed those several months ago. 

• Like 1

I have bought some poly flex HTV from my supplier for my first go. The specs are 170c at 20 seconds 

wm-poly-flex[ekm]596x350[ekm].jpg

• Like 1

I bought a infrared temp gun.

I set the press at 170c let it warm up, aimed and it reads 108 C ? The bottom of the heat press has a plastic cover and when in open position it hangs down a little so the temp gun is reading the sagging plastic, which i assume affects the temperture? Any ideas thanks

9 hours ago, dvddvd said:

I bought a infrared temp gun.

I set the press at 170c let it warm up, aimed and it reads 108 C ? The bottom of the heat press has a plastic cover and when in open position it hangs down a little so the temp gun is reading the sagging plastic, which i assume affects the temperture? Any ideas thanks

You need to aim the infrared as perpendicular to the platen as possible and usually a given distance away. I think about 6" Angled shots are not as accurate . Is the cover a teflon sheet? If so just take it off for the test and you can put it back on after you get dialed in. If using a teflon sheet/cover you usually also want to increase your time by a couple seconds. 

The gun is 12:1ratio.

So at 12 inches away it measures a 1 inch spot, 3 foot away measures a 3 inch spot etc

Not sure how the cover removes? It's a white plasticy sort of cover

Had a look before work this morning and it seems the white plasticky cover is wrapped around the plate, seems its tucked behind It and then the plate is fixed in place?

Seems no screws holding the plate on unless the 4 screws holding the top grab handles hold the plate on?

It seems bit of a job removing the plate to he able to remove the plastic cover?