dvddvd

Any tips on weeding?

I actually did my first cuts on vinyl today, a little bit of setting up and it cut really good.

I think some of the test pieces were a little fine but it cut delicate piece down to 1mm lines.

The fun started in the weeding knowing which pieces to remove! Any tips on actually seeing the cuts? when the vinyl is gloss and a lot of shine its hard to catch the light to see the cuts and my older eyes....

• Like 1

I have repurposed a air hockey table with a cutting matte and 4 led bright while led bulbs in the old fluorescent fixture - much easier to weed than up stairs with less light.  Just my 2c

• Like 1

I know what you mean, the cut lines can be hard to see.  You can try placing your light at a lower angle to the vinyl.

I also use a pair of very sharp pointed tweezers and a dental pick to help with the weeding.

Letters weed better from right to left and numbers weed better from left to right.

Practice, practice, practice it will come over time.

• Like 1

Ha join the old man club I guess! I use one of those headlamp flashlights so I can get the light coming from a good angle and enough of it. Old eyes suck, dang-it. 

• Like 1

I use light at a low angle, and a very sharp and pointy x-acto.

make sure you don't let your cut design sit too long unweeded. the adhesive might re-adhere, which just make it more difficult, especially if you're cutting something small and intricate.

• Like 2

Use a sharp blade and make sure your cutting depth is correct. Too shallow and it doesn't cut all the way. Too deep and you cut into the backing paper making it equally difficult to weed. I use an Exact-O knife for everything with the very tip lightly dulled. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jay2703 said:

Use a sharp blade and make sure your cutting depth is correct. Too shallow and it doesn't cut all the way. Too deep and you cut into the backing paper making it equally difficult to weed. I use an Exact-O knife for everything with the very tip lightly dulled. 

What Jay said  ^

• Like 1