dvddvd

Is there anyway to print at home cheaply?

So what would happen if you laser printed on vinyl. I also have a black only laser printer. 

Which is super fast for documents and so cheap to use...in pages per cartridge.

DON'T very few laser printers can do it, and not sure how long it will last. Most will melt the vinyl to the fuser and scrap the printer.

I plan to do it in the next couple of days and will let you know if it will last. My laser can do it, but lasting? Not sure. It may just scratch off.

2 minutes ago, dvddvd said:

I just searched and you can buy laser printable vinyl?

Same stuff as the inkjet stuff. Won't last. Has a coating.

Exactly the same stuff? I might buy a pack to have a play around. My son is in a band and he wants some stickers to put in venue toilets after gigs etc. 

Not exactly, but close.

Both are coated and do not have a long life.

Depending on your idea of long life.

13 minutes ago, dvddvd said:

Exactly the same stuff? I might buy a pack to have a play around. My son is in a band and he wants some stickers to put in venue toilets after gigs etc. 

A lot of music venue in uk bands seem to plaster the toilets  with cheap posters and stickers...think CBGBs

You're getting advice from the volunteers on this forum who do, or have done, signage, banner, decals, etc. as a living.

There is definitely a market for printing on vinyl and contour cutting, but to do so professionally is not cheap. For that reason, any color or print & contour jobs I get, get outsourced very quickly. I have a very reliable printer locally that can get my jobs done, and they're more than happy to get them done at wholesale prices, because they know that I pay the in cash, and they didn't have to prep the artwork or hustle for the job in the first place. I don't have the customer base that could sustain such a large expense for a large vinyl printer, so I just don't even try.

If you're looking just to dabble in it as a hobby and are finding materials on eBay or other means, that clearly aren't meant to be for the professionals, then the only way to know how well it works (or doesn't) is to buy them yourself and give it a try. Then you can come back and contribute your experience and findings to this forum, so that others may gain some knowledge.

• Like 3