Sign in to follow this  
Double R Armory

New SC2 Cuts line across bangs on left, then returns

I have a brand new SC2.  I am using the Vinylmaster software that came with the machine.  Sometimes my cuts are perfect.  Other times the machine feeds a little vinyl through, cuts a line straight across to the left, bangs against the edge of the machine, then returns a cutting line to the right and bangs on the right.  Could anyone help me figure this out and also why it only does in on some images?

Thanks - Rebecca

Are you pushing the ORIGIN button on your cutter, before you send the cut?  You must.  That is where the design starts measuring from.  Are all of your images vector images?   Make sure the design is not too large for the vinyl. Are you making sure the design is the correct direction on the vinyl., so that it does not run off the vinyl?   Your not stating much about the designs that your using, 

#slicendice is this the error finding the edges and sensor issue you posted about a while back?

Thank you for your response. I have tried pushing the origin button and it is still occasionally doing this. 

My cut is basically an image (customer logo) that I vectorized and then copy and pasted multiples over the page.  I am cutting on 15x15 high temp vinyl and the span of the cuts is about 13" x 15" (width x height) so I don't think I've overshot my area.  Thank you.

Have you grounded the cutter with wire, cutter to stand?  It could be static.  It could be memory issues. If you try it with a pen and it doesn't happen, then it is probably static.  Many use dryer sheets, in the roll, wipe cutter with dryer sheets. Spray clothing static spray. run humidifier. 

14 minutes ago, Double R Armory said:

Thank you for your response. I have tried pushing the origin button and it is still occasionally doing this. 

My cut is basically an image (customer logo) that I vectorized and then copy and pasted multiples over the page.  I am cutting on 15x15 high temp vinyl and the span of the cuts is about 13" x 15" (width x height) so I don't think I've overshot my area.  Thank you.

I am thinking that if your cuts are 13 X 15, and you are cutting on 15X15 sheets, you are oversized. The rollers will not let you cut the full size of the sheet.

It should spit the sheet out, but can't say for sure with that cutter.

• Like 1

When I need extra vinyl, for just the pinch rollers to run on,  I tape (with the tape underside) another piece of vinyl, to the vinyl, for the rollers to run on.  It can be any type of vinyl. but wide and long enough for the rollers to run on. That way the pinch rollers don't spit the vinyl out. 

• Like 1

I'm cutting with a 15" roll of vinyl, so the width should be the only issue.  Is 13" too wide?  I have taken the full sheet and deleted most of the images so that I just have 1 row that is about 13" x 2" and it seems to do fine.  It just doesn't want to do the sheet full, but on others it will.  

For example same image 
Sheet one full of 3"x2"
Sheet two full of 2.5" x 1.75"
Sheet three full of 2" x 1.5"

Sheet two will cut, the other two have this issue.

Are you turning the cutter off and back on or hitting reset before cutting more items? That dumps the data from the last order. It could be a memory problem.  It matters how many nodes are on the designs. 

I have not hit reset.  I've turned the cutter off to keep it from banging into the side of the machine.  This is the image I am cutting.  There are are anywhere from 20 to 55 on each sheet.  It cuts the sheet with 53 on it with no problem.  It won't cut the sheet of 20 or the sheet of 55.

skull-bonefrog2.png

Many times a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter helps. That is the brand name.  Those value cutters have cheap Chinese chip sets in them. They are not TRUE USB, like the higher end cutters.  The Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter controls the flow of the data being sent to the vinyl cutter.   You use it and the null modem cable that came with your cutter

Example.  Find the best price.   https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2JN5XTRB380HW&dchild=1&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+high+speed+usb+to+serial+adapter&qid=1584319016&sprefix=Tripp-lite+Keyspan+Adapter%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-1

13" shouldn't be too wide for a 15" roll of vinyl. Check and double check your media dimensions in the software. Make sure that you've pulled enough slack from the roll, so the cutter isn't trying to pull directly from it.

If you can, put a pen to plot on paper while you work this issue out, so you can try and keep you vinyl waste to a minimum.

Do a test cut (from the control panel on the cutter), then jog the vinyl (or paper) a little forward, and little to the side, then hit ORIGIN, do the test cut again. If it starts right where you left the carriage, then resetting the origin appears to be working. If it goes back the the first starting point of the first test cut/draw you did, then the resetting the origin is not working.

Another thing to try, it so download and install SignBlazer Elements. It's a freeware and you can import  your graphic (in .eps format) into the workspace and try cutting from that software. I know it seems humbug, but it's better to have a back-up plan for these "just in case" situation where getting the job done is more time sensitive than trying to troubleshoot the existing software.

On 3/15/2020 at 5:27 PM, Double R Armory said:

I'm cutting with a 15" roll of vinyl, so the width should be the only issue.  Is 13" too wide?  I have taken the full sheet and deleted most of the images so that I just have 1 row that is about 13" x 2" and it seems to do fine.  It just doesn't want to do the sheet full, but on others it will.  

For example same image 
Sheet one full of 3"x2"
Sheet two full of 2.5" x 1.75"
Sheet three full of 2" x 1.5"

Sheet two will cut, the other two have this issue.

Is the problem always repeatable or is it random?  For example, will it always cut sheet #2 fine and always screw up the other two?  And are sheet 1, 2 & 3 all the same image (that you posted above)?  If the same image, take sheet 2 and add/subtract to recreate others and save as a new file and see if that helps.  If the images are different, I'd look at your wireframe and see if you have some crazy amount of nodes or any outliers.