Sign in to follow this  
Larryc39

Laserpoint 24 Rounding Corners

I've had this machine a long time, rarely used it, always cut good.  Now, it's rounding corners, leaving tags or tails, etc.  It's not a S/W offset issue, if I try the machine standalone in test mode it'll do the same thing on vinyl or on paper w/pen.  What can I do to make this machine usable again?

Laserpoint Issue.png

Don't have one of them, but is there an offset in the cutter itself?

• Like 1

rounded corners are almost always offset but a couple of things to check is do you have a broken tip on the blade?  that will cause an offset change along with possibly a worn blade holder but that is less likely.

mike ask a good question about is the offset adjusted on the plotter itself? 

What software are you using just out of curiosity 

Paper and pen test  Offset should be set to Zero.  There is no offset with a pen. Pen is centered in the blade holder.   A blade drags, it has offset.   Check that the carriage head wheels are firmly in the track.  Make sure carriage head , blade holder arm is not cracked or broken. 

It's not a software issue.  I experience the same "offset style" issue when using the self-test test pattern print feature without a PC connected and it is the same issue if using a pen or a blade.  In my original post, I've included a pen sample from using the built-in test on the cutter (makes a 1 1/8" x 5/16" rectangle).  In this post I've attached a vinyl cut sample.  Both are done directly from the plotter, no PC involved.  I don't know of any way to adjust the offset on a Laserpoint 24, only to adjust the scaling size of the output by the X and Y axis.

Laserpoint Issue 2.png

adjust the offset in your cutting software now. and run those samples.    Pen offset zero.  Blade start at 0.25mm and adjust 0.05 plus and minus.    Blade Offset is in your cutting software.   No mention of which you are using. 

Do you have your blade depth set correctly?  This is how to set correctly.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

I just looked up a manual to the old p-cut which is what the original laserpoint 1 was with a laser attached to the carriage and looks like offset is only set in the software - so if bad cuts from the machine with no computer attached I would start with skeeters instructions for setting blade depth WITH A NEW BLADE to eliminate the possibility of a broken tip - I am kind of curious how the machine with no internal settings for offset would compensate on that internal test for say a 30, 45 or 60 degree blade as they will all have different offsets and would show different on that test.

Like Skeeter has said. If you can not change the offset in the cutter then you have no choice but to set it in the software. Rounded corners is always an offset problem unless as mentioned, your blade is broke or worn or maybe bent. Try a new blade and set it with the Skeeter method.

It seems to be cutting acceptable now.  Corners are good enough.  It's been so long since I used it I was thinking the software offset was to compensate for issues in the software - not compensating for mechanical inaccuracies in the cutter.

Thanks.

Laserpoint Issue 3.png