TrackHawk707

Windows OR Mac

Hey everyone!

So I have a CE6000 and Im currently using a mac with illustrator and graphtec studios.

My real question is I know mac in this field is limited but am I missing out on anything that could help me grow, save me time designing and or anything else I can possibly be missing out on. My main forte is shirts and hats (sublimation and vinyl for hats) and i don't like sublimating on the poly shirts, not much interest there for my area as is. 

Im asking cause Im planning on building my first computer thats just a hobby I just enjoy and never got around to actually doing it.  I understand the system requirements for this field is very easy to achieve so thats not a worry. Love my mac but want more out of my home business as well. Im terrible at explaining so if you understand what I'm trying to figure out Id appreciate all the info / help! I heard apparently graphtec offers a free program for windows thats easy 1,000 bucks but you have to have a windows, i don't know how true that is but i stumbled on it on another site. 

THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT :)

Either/or will do just fine. I'm a dual platform person, but when it comes to cutting, I do it on the PC side, only because the cutting software that I had to learn on was SignBlazer Elements.

You'll find more support for windows-base software here, but if you've been motoring along just fine with your existing setup then I would recommend to stick with the software you are most comfortable with, because you'll be able to push stuff out the door a lot quicker when you're more comfortable with the software you use.

Since you already have a Graphtec CE6000 and are familiar with Graphtec Studios, their PC version is a beefier version with more bells and whistles. It's based on the Flexi software which is one of the 'go to' software programs in the industry. 

I run on a MacPro, and have parallels. I have the Graphtec software installed on both platforms, and can tell you that the Windows version of the software puts their Mac efforts to shame. But I am glad that there is a Mac option. 

You can spec a Mac, but I don't think you can even build one anymore - everything is pretty much soldered to the motherboard, so depending on which Mac you get, there is not expansion of anything - no RAM upgrades, no HD/SSD upgrades, no nothing :(

I have multiple Macs, multiple PC's and funny enough, all my Macs either have Parallels or is Bootcamped for Windows 7 (don't even get me started on Win10 :wacko:)

"I'm planning on building my first computer"

That would have to be a WindowsOS device. You can't 'build' a mac these days with off-the shelf components. The closest you can come is a Hackintosh!

I've gone 2 ways on my Windows computer - design computer that I built mainly for when I had the solvent printers are MSI mainboards with 8 core amd processor and the last one I got nuts and 64gb ram.    Now on the cutter dedicated computer and my shipping computer I got ahold of a couple used HP USFF 8300 units with 8gb ram and put 250GB SSD in them - not a build but they are very energy efficient, quiet and fast for their purpose.  my computers are on 24/7 all except on vacations.   the cutter computer is not connected to the network in the house in anyway or the internet so files are transferred with a thumb drive  - love newegg for my components

• Like 1

I just always heard windows is better for this field so I would like to just jump in because I'm building one just to have a desktop in the house since my laptop is starting to lose it a little and the storage is maxed so now i rely on an external ha. not the end of the world but I like to explore so windows i should pick up pretty fast.