Matt Woody

CE6000-120 or 120 AKZ

Does anyone know the difference between these two machines?  I emailed Graphtec to ask but have not received a response.  I was initially looking at the standard 120 but definitely need the media catch basket.  That separately though is another $600 when, if there is no difference, I could get the 120 AKZ with it already for less money.  I don't do any type of window tint or ppf but would be nice to be a future option with the AKZ, just want to make sure I'm not buying a cheaper machine itself I guess.

Thanks for any help!!

It appears to me the only thing making it "set up" for tint is the catch basket and anti static cords.  It's obviously not the exact same machine as it has 4 pinch rollers instead of three.  I've looked at their website, it provides no comparison though.  That's why I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone knows the actual differences and not just what can be read on the internet.

The specs are the same , force, etc. compare those.   It is upgraded for tint.  at $500 more.  It says it has 5 pinch rollers.  I run a 30" Graphtec and it only comes with 2 pinch rollers and no need for any more unless I would be running reflective, which I don't.   But if I was only cutting vinyl. I would not spend $500 extra for it.  You could build a catch basket for $60 or less.   My opinion.  Many are posted on the forum.   It's your choice not mine. 

Now why do you think you need a 48" machine? What is your purpose of a 48" machine?   I run a Graphtec FC. 30" and basket is standard. Much more heavy duty than the CE.   I have never needed a 48" machine.  Most orders can be cut in tiles.  Designs broken down in smaller sections.  I can't imagine trying to put application tape on a 48"  wide decal. Or try to apply it.  I do many that are 27" wide by 16 ft long,  but I sure wouldn't want a cutter any wider. Plus how much extra the 48" vinyl rolls would be. 

The number of push rollers has been increased to five; with the three inner rollers having two pressure settings (low and normal) to prevent media lifting and to suit a wider range of substrates.  A media sheet guide is also included to reduce static and to improve long length tracking.  These two new additions ensure a more stable media feed and higher productivity.

It's not that I absolutely need the 48 but have had to turn down a few jobs as i am limited to 24 right now.  30 would be close but mainly to do larger side graphics that are all one piece and 24 just wont cut it.  I've done plenty of flags and such that are tiled and using 2 pieces that work just fine but some things just cant be tiled and work well.  The 48 inch rolls from a cost standpoint run the same per foot as a 24, just more square footage per foot.  Taping wouldnt be an issue, just tile the tape and use 24 or smaller pieces.  Easier to overlap the tape then have someone line up the decal imo.  I'm not 100% sold on doing the 48 but feel that I definitely wouldnt be as limited as the 24 I currently have.  I'm to the point I want to upgrade and have just started looking now.

My main business is large graphics. Including side graphics.    You want to watch overlapping transfer tape as vinyl can bubble on the overlap.   Maybe look into a used 48" .  Or a larger used FC unit.   I see  54" and 42" units on Ebay.    I picked up a FC8000-75 30" last year for $1000 free ship.  Deals are still out there, you just have to keep watching and have the money.   I have an FC7000-75 and a FC8000-75  Built like tanks.   Much more than the CE units. 

Yea I'm a new kinda guy.  Have never had any issues with it bubbling on the crease and always send instructions for install.  Never had any issues that weren't end user related.  I will def keep an eye out for a used 48 but in the end a ce or better would be a huge step up from a gcc expert II haha.

Summa makes great cutters, wouldn't hurt to take a look at their SummaCut D-series. It's slot between Graphtec CE and FC. Some argue the SummaCut D series is above the Graphtec FC in terms of features.

• Like 2

Ok skeeter.  Bought that one on ebay after an offer, figured it could be a good step up into a much better machine.  Now the question is, when it gets here should I do any kind of reset or anything like that on it? Obviously will download the drivers and stuff from their site but didnt know if that would update any firmware if needed and or if i should just so the factory reset to start from scratch.  We will see if the 30 is enough and if not, i can always keep it as a backup and grab a bigger one later.

I saw the price was lowered on it, a couple days ago.  You can do a factory reset on it   It won't hurt a thing.  I would not mess with the firmware. Mine was bought new in 2008.  I have never needed to touch the firmware.  And I won't.  Also download the Graphtec Cutting Controller. if your using Windows.  You can make your changes right from your computer,  Force, speed, etc.   The cutter has to be set  ready to cut, to be able to use it. 

I was just looking and didnt see the controller for windows 10, is it the one for the 8600 or the one for the older version of windows?

It's the controller for the FC7000    Go to the FC7000 page.   Legacy cutters.  I don't know what Windows it works on.  I use Windows XP with my cutter.   XP is very stable.  

Ok so got the cutter.  Driver installed, controller good to go.  Tried using trial vinyl master to cut hut its showing error 11, anyone know what that's about, something about an esc command but no idea why.  If anyone has a link for signblazer that would be great.  I found one but it was for 6.0 and I dont think 6 works with windows 10

If your going to use software other than Graphtec software. you need to have the cutter Command on HP-GL.   Signblazer works on Windows 10.  Signblazer has not been updated for many years,  Owner passed away years back. 

Yea I knew it wasnt being updated.  I think I may have had it set on hp gl inches.  What other cutting software is recommended.  I usually do all my design work in corel and with the old cutter could just do it from corel.  Any idea why vinyl master would make it throw the error 11 code though?

SignBlazer officially appears as being v6 -- however the archived program is a hybrid that eliminates the start-up screens with an internal 'crack' (which is why anti-virus programs show it as malicious threat). After install, the Help/ABOUT menu shows v7.0.0 (dated Sept. 2012)

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

I'm baffled why people can't find this link -- it's been posted countless times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

I'm baffled why people can't find this link -- it's been posted countless times.

Same thing with my blade depth instructions. :wacko:  Countless times. 

17 minutes ago, Matt Woody said:

Yea I knew it wasnt being updated.  I think I may have had it set on hp gl inches.  What other cutting software is recommended.  I usually do all my design work in corel and with the old cutter could just do it from corel.  Any idea why vinyl master would make it throw the error 11 code though?

Just make sure you go to MENU>NEXT>NEXT>Interface>COMMAND> and make sure it is on HP-GL

Graphtec has Graphtec software, with Plugs ins for Corel.   I don't use them  I use Flexi software,  But they are there  Graphtec site under software. For the FC7000

I had found it, thought it being 6 was why it wasn't working and thought maybe there was another one.  Trust me I have been around forums long enough that I search before I ask, haha