The Flaming Eyeball

Best place to buy reflective vinyl and....

I'm just a small hobby guy who sells a bit now and then. Looking at USCutters, the smallest roll of reflective is $125, for what will fit my cutter, 24 SC2. Anywhere to buy supplies smaller than 10 yards?

What settings would I use to cut said vinyl when I actually get some?

I've trolled eBay to find random pieces of reflective. It would help to know what size (and color) you're actually looking for - someone in the forum might be able to work something out with you.

As far as settings, if you search, there have been several postings about cutting reflective. The bottom line is that each machine is different, you will probably need to up the pressure, slow the blade down a little, and possibly do it in more than one pass.

• Like 1

Further research. I see on the US Cutter "Vinyl Cutter Buying Guide" that the SC2 is not recommended for cutting reflective material anyway. Is "not recommended" and "not able" to the same thing in this case? Can the SC2 handle reflective?

I would be surprised if it wouldn't cut it - just remember reflective eats blades

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, The Flaming Eyeball said:

Further research. I see on the US Cutter "Vinyl Cutter Buying Guide" that the SC2 is not recommended for cutting reflective material anyway. Is "not recommended" and "not able" to the same thing in this case? Can the SC2 handle reflective?

This thread was started in 2019. Now, a year later, Eyeball is still wondering if he can cut vinyl with his SC2 ?  The SC2 handles reflective just fine (raise up the pressure to about 130). It indeed WILL chew up the blade, due to the particles of metallic within the refl. material.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

This thread was started in 2019. Now, a year later, Eyeball is still wondering if he can cut vinyl with his SC2 ?  The SC2 handles reflective just fine (raise up the pressure to about 130). It indeed WILL chew up the blade, due to the particles of metallic within the refl. material.

it's a project with long lead times ;)

• Haha 1

Definitely long lead times, and this is not a forum I frequent often....Buuuuutttt, the guy STILL has not actually decided to purchase said reflective vinyl, so I have yet to play with it. Might invest in a laser cutter for that anyway.

A laser cutter is definitely in a completely different price bracket. I would look at sourcing inexpensive reflective off of eBay or other craft/hobby sites, and you can test it out in your SC2.

It's not recommended to cut vinyl with a laser. The PVC of the vinyl produces nasty fumes that can/will damage components in the laser over time and well as not be healthy to you.

I would also think getting vinyl to lay flat so that it could be cut would be a pain in the ass.

You'd be amazed at how creative you can get to flatten out stuff for the laser :P

Does the reflective have PVC in it too?