Sign in to follow this  
stickchick

im sure this is new topic.... help deciding on machine

3 minutes ago, stickchick said:

can someone bless my cart?  I think im ready.  already busted the budget, but i will be back next week to get some other supplies like cutting mat, more htv, tools, etc.  i think we are pretty good on most tools like xacto, squegees, spray bottles, etc.  we have a couple drywall tees and big rulers around here too.  Do u notice im missing anything absolutely essential to just start practicing?  i cant say that im really impressed w the heat press, but i can do it for now, later i will use it for grilled cheese.  shipping & tax really stink @ around another $300. thx.

image.thumb.png.e82d0a994d07ca7137567fee7d3c8b2b.png

looks solid to me as long as you have a heat press

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

looks solid to me as long as you have a heat press

it comes w a heat press

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

This would take care of all your problems,  Original owner   I have the FC7000-MK2-75   is a 30" cutter.   Owned mine since 2008 ,never a problem. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graphtec-Cutting-Pro-FC7000-75-plotter-cutter-original-owner-can-ship/273914899402?hash=item3fc699abca:g:ZpUAAOSw3ChbT3pt

iteresting... I just hate buying anything used.  refurb maybe.  but i got burned a couple times over the years and i try to stick w new.  and like everyone says, the graphtec will hold value, so i can trade up next month if necessary!

I bought a Graphtec  FC8000-75 last year for $1000 FREE shipping.  GREAT cutter. Right off of EBAY

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I bought a Graphtec  FC8000-75 last year for $1000 FREE shipping.  GREAT cutter. Right off of EBAY

I either hope someday to find a deal like skeeters = that or that she remembers me in her will :D   I have always been like the son she never wanted  . . . or much younger brother . . .  or pest

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I either hope someday to find a deal like skeeters = that or that she remembers me in her will :D   I have always been like the son she never wanted  . . . or much younger brother . . .  or pest

I showed you that Ebay deal too. :D  I am always checking.  Like the Great deal that I got on that legal Flexidesigner 10.5.  Just keep looking and have the money to swoop on it. LOL 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I showed you that Ebay deal too. :D  I am always checking.  Like the Great deal that I got on that legal Flexidesigner 10.5.  Just keep looking and have the money to swoop on it. LOL 

As I recall that was right before we was heading to denmark and gone for 3 weeks - getting it safely in my house might have been an issue - but somewhere down the road I might find a deal.   

I am NOT blessing that cart.

24" vinyl for boat graphics is too limiting. Does your DH disagree?

At first I thought you would be OK but then you indicated the massive boat transoms you'll be working on.

That Mississippi Graphtec is nice, but Shipping?

20190629_135026.jpg

That FC7000 is still worth it at that price plus the shipping.  I found where he quoted a guy to California for $250. It sure didn't cost that much to get mine from Texas to Indiana.It is just under 100 pounds for the cutter and stand.   The seller paid for the shipping on mine and it was shipped Fed ex home delivery.   I read where he accepted the $700, from another guy 3 weeks ago.  But the guy did not want to pay the shipping.   That cutter is worth it.   A Graphtec FC7000 on up, are beasts of machines. 

Even though that Graphtec is 30" wide for cutting, the true width of the machine .s 49.5" wide. And on the stand is approx 46.5" H.  

I think I would need to think about what percentage of the business do you think will require large width vinyl in excess of 22"-23".  If the answer is marginal, or a low percentage, then I'd stick with the Graphtec for now, and while you're making money with that - you can outsource anything too big for you. While that's happening, troll for deals like Skeeter does and you might come across something great. But for the interim, you'd have a rock solid machine that will hold it's value, and you'll be taking jobs that will get it paid in no time.

I don't even do signs and decals for a living like most of the contributing forum members here, but mostly just running it as a hobby - I've paid off my LP and my Graphtec several times over - and both machines are still working. If I had regular customers, then I'd be saving my pennies for a Graphtec FC, but still keep the CE6000. I have had a few customers who required decals larger than my machine could do - I farm them out, and my customers don't know the difference.

• Like 3

Yeah we've never done those big boat stickers. But it is definitely a future goal considering that boats are the reason im starting the biz. Right now we've got four or five boats sitting here that we outsourced the decals on. They were all done on a 24-inch in Titan.  Just simple names, logos, and registration numbers.  I just won't go looking for the big boats until I'm ready to make the jump. 

I am going to hold off till tomorrow and call the company and talk to a live person.

Let us know what they say about the 34" Lp3.

The entire point here is to avoid sending out work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stickchick said:

Yeah we've never done those big boat stickers. But it is definitely a future goal considering that boats are the reason im starting the biz. Right now we've got four or five boats sitting here that we outsourced the decals on. They were all done on a 24-inch in Titan.  Just simple names, logos, and registration numbers.  I just won't go looking for the big boats until I'm ready to make the jump. 

I am going to hold off till tomorrow and call the company and talk to a live person.

remember when you talk to someone - they will recommend on what they want to sell - very very few employees ever owned plotters and only a few played with them after being hired.   good to ask questions but ask the person what THEIR experience is and how long they have been doing the cutting . . . . 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Let us know what they say about the 34" Lp3.

The entire point here is to avoid sending out work.

True, but if the need to outsource is minimal, but the need for production is now and the LP3 is out of stock without a possible date for re-stock, then I don't really think you could go wrong with the Graphtec. If the four or five boats you already had to outsource was done a Titan 24", then that would have been something that could've been done in-house if the a 24" Graphtec was there now. You do in-house jobs to pay for the machine, and outsource what you cannot, and build up business while saving up the profit for a bigger machine.

Its a tough position to be in - 24" now, or 34" at some point in the future. I'm curious to see what USC says about what their timeline is to re-stock the LP3. If it's too far in the future for you to want to wait - then the eBay deal that Skeeter posted might be the happy medium. You get a working Graphtec cutter NOW, while not breaking the bank or the budget. You can recoup your money on the machine a lot quicker, and then get to a 34" machine that much faster (and hopefully USC will have it in stock by then).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Or back to the Titan 3 53"    for $1595  and just quit looking. 

Yes i was sold on the titan3 53" for a bit.  But all I hear is graphtec graphtec graphtec and I think it's wearing on me! It definitely seems to be the top of the line.

2 hours ago, stickchick said:

Yes i was sold on the titan3 53" for a bit.  But all I hear is graphtec graphtec graphtec and I think it's wearing on me! It definitely seems to be the top of the line.

My first machine was a USC LaserPoint (original). I got that about 12-years ago and it still works. I started to do more jobs, so I decided that I'd better have two machines, just in case one crapped out on in the middle of the job. I've made my money back several times over from the LP alone, so I decided to splurge a little get the Graphtec (CE6000-60 plus), because like you - everyone pointed to Graphtec. I am MORE than happy with my Graphtec, and rarely turn on my LP now days. It did make me wish that I bought the second machine a long time ago.

If you think you'll absolutely need something bigger than a 24", and a 30" will do - then check out the eBay listing. If 30" is still too small, and you have the room for a 53" machine, then just go to the Titan 3. Any which way you decide, A machine in hand is better than a machine you haven't decided it on and have yet to purchase. I don't think any of your options is a bad one, it's just a tough decision, but none of them a wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I just don't understand why everyone seemed so anti big machine. Even if I never cut anything over 24 in, what would it hurt to have the extra 53" capacity? I can still run 24 in rolls, but it gives me options.  It's within my budget. I have the space.  But I still really like what I'm learning about the graphtec! Its so difficult to decide.  I have been a hair away from clicking submit 3 or 4 times now! 

I will say I've seen the Titan in action, and if I hadn't heard about the graphtec I wouldn't know any better.  But the graphtec sure does come with better software too!  I  own a copy of AI, but honestly it must be three or four years old and I don't even have it installed at the moment.  

I feel like I'm getting car sick staring at the screen for 5 days straight!

• Haha 1

I have owned the tian and graphtec, since I owned the titan I have had 2 new graphtec s and like it much more than the titan, just a better built unit, but a larger graphtec isn’t in your budget so compromises would have to be made

• Like 1

I cannot speak for anyone else being anti-big machine. I used to think I never had the room, but truth be told, if I ditched both of my 24" machines, then I'd have the room for a single large machine. That being said, I'll take my 2 24"s any day of the week. Would it be faster to punch out larger decal orders (not necessarily larger decals, just order quantity)? Absolutely. Here are my particular issues - I don't want to spend the money only larger width rolls of vinyl, especially I physically do not need to cut a large graphic. I especially do not want to weed something in the middle of that width ... I'm only 5'4" with longer legs than arms and torso, so that's a bit of stretch unless I'm rotating the vinyl, or walking around the vinyl.

a) it's cumbersome for me
b) 95% of my jobs can be done in 24" or less, or the job can be broken down into 24" or less increments
c) wide vinyl would work best with wide app tape .... I'm not going to tape anything that wide, as it is, I sometimes have challenges when I need to cut long decals for some of the outrigger canoe clubs who want to run text and/or graphics on the side of the hull from front to back. I don't really like to cut that length, and I certain hate taping it, and most times will just break it if I can.
d) I'm sure other can, but I cannot shoulder the weight of the expense of have different widths of vinyl, in the same color - if all I really need is a few inches. Yes, I know I can cut small on a large vinyl, but sometimes you just cannot avoid wasting vinyl in the process :(

While my LP has been good to me, and it made fairly well and has survived the test of time and a few moves as well, I can tell that the Graphtec is simply built better. The LP is built well, but the Graphtec is built sturdy compared to it - from the design of the machine to the stand and media rails (although I did run to my local machine shop and swapped out those hollow tube on the Graphtec for solid stainless steel rods).

Whatever decision you make, you're looking at good machines, and there really won't be a wrong decision ... just a new toy :laugh:  ... and at the end of the day, the forum is here to help you. Even if sometimes we inadvertently muddy the waters for decision making for other people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, haumana said:

It's a tough position to be in - 24" now, or 34" at some point in the future. I'm curious to see what USC says about what their timeline is to re-stock the LP3. If it's too far in the future for you to want to wait - then the eBay deal that Skeeter posted might be the happy medium. You get a working Graphtec cutter NOW, while not breaking the bank or the budget. You can recoup your money on the machine a lot quicker, and then get to a 34" machine that much faster (and hopefully USC will have it in stock by then).

uh, this is an inaccurate assessment of the facts presented in this discussion.

Skeetz showed a 34" (870mm) Graphtec unit sold on eBay from someone in Mississippi, for a great price.

That machine is the true solution here, and no waiting, no need for any future cutter purchase! 

Yes, it's used, but as we've been told, Graphtecs hold their value ---- for a reason.

17 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Skeetz showed a 34" (870mm) Graphtec unit sold on eBay from someone in Mississippi, for a great price.

That machine is the true solution here, and no waiting, no need for any future cutter purchase! 

Yes, it's used, but as we've been told, Graphtecs hold their value ---- for a reason.

while I have bought several used plotters in the past it is always a gamble one what you get - one roland I bought with minor issues needed a $650 mianboard and had to jump thru hoopes to get the board as they like dealers to install them.  That one very well could be a deal just always assess how much risk you are willing to take.

I always thought a fc-xxxx-75 was a 30" machine . . .  hmmm

just looked it up and 75 series is 30" - cutting area of 762 mm and guaranteed cutting area of 742mm

• Like 2

6 hours ago, slice&dice said:

My bad - I thought Skeeter's post was for a 30" machine, and that the OP was considering getting the 34" LP3, but it is out of stock.

• Like 1