Sign in to follow this  
stickchick

im sure this is new topic.... help deciding on machine

Your going to have to pick and choose what you can do.  Somethings you will have to outsource.  Your budget does not allow a printer.  That is back where the $20,000 comes in.   Nothing more that I can add.  We have all given you advise,  Your going to have to do your own research and choice of cutter. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, stickchick said:

Yes he orders lots, but not for the big boats.  He mainly works on trailerable boats 22-30'.  Which have so far been simple one color lettering & logos (customers so far have provided files for logos).  But if we are going to do this, i want to make sure we can service this Sportfish/yacht market.  If i can do all of my small boats and most of my big boats (multiple lines) w a 24" machine, GREAT! But guess i need to do more research on stuff like the billfish in the middle of "Electric Bill".  I have no clue what machinery is required to produce full color drawings.  I assume some type of printer in conjunction w an ARMS cutter?  

I know yall r ready to kill me... 

you are FAR better to outsource those images like the sailfish - just the marine vinyl and laminate for the $20K printer will be another $2K - and if you are not making those every other day you will be replacing $700-$2800 heads very often as they WILL clog even though the machines do a self cleaning - I have owned 3 solvent printer and from experience if you are not selling at least 3 of those a week find a GOOD person to outsource that part to -you will be way money ahead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok its FINAL. 24" graphtec.  I will pull the trigger sometime tonight-tomorrow after i get the nerve. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

you are FAR better to outsource those images like the sailfish - just the marine vinyl and laminate for the $20K printer will be another $2K - and if you are not making those every other day you will be replacing $700-$2800 heads very often as they WILL clog even though the machines do a self cleaning - I have owned 3 solvent printer and from experience if you are not selling at least 3 of those a week find a GOOD person to outsource that part to -you will be way money ahead

OMG! "MARINE VINYL"?  I have not even seen such an animal yet.  My friend has always supplied us w 651 decals.  Is there specific marine vinyl? 

49 minutes ago, stickchick said:

OMG! "MARINE VINYL"?  I have not even seen such an animal yet.  My friend has always supplied us w 651 decals.  Is there specific marine vinyl? 

most of the time on boats 651 or better 751 will work - I was referring to the special vinyl they sell for boats for those printed decals

• Like 1

been a couple of years since I looked at it but if you spring for the 20K printer it looks like 3m now recommends IJ180C: 3M™ along with the laminate

OK, I'm back, had to add one thing ---

"...And its all big.  Picture the stern of a 60' Hatteras.  The canvas could be 15x6 (not good w measurements yet)."

The maximum height you'll be able to achieve with a 24" cutter (and 24" vinyl) is just around 23" letters/objects. You can get a bit more if your tracking is dead-on perfect, but I normally leave 1/2" on the margins so the blade doesn't hit the edges of the vinyl material.
Likewise, if you were using 30" material, that means 29" tall letters. In other words, the difference between the two cutters is 6", which doesn't seem like much, but it can be vital for some designs.

I would have stuck with the LP3 (34") as a good choice from the get-go, especially from a price standpoint at only $660 (and it includes the media basket). Unfortunately at this time, that cutter is unavailable from USCUTTER ("Out of stock").

A similarly-sized Graphtec (for 30" materials) is the FC8600-75 and it costs over $4000. https://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-8600-Series-Vinyl-Cutter

Ask your husband if that 6" matters.

Wait, that didn't come out sounding right!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

OK, I'm back, had to add one thing ---

"...And its all big.  Picture the stern of a 60' Hatteras.  The canvas could be 15x6 (not good w measurements yet)."

The maximum height you'll be able to achieve with a 24" cutter (and 24" vinyl) is just around 23" letters/objects. You can get a bit more if your tracking is dead-on perfect, but I normally leave 1/2" on the margins so the blade doesn't hit the edges of the vinyl material.
Likewise, if you were using 30" material, that means 29" tall letters. In other words, the difference between the two cutters is 6", which doesn't seem like much, but it can be vital for some designs.

I would have stuck with the LP3 (34") as a good choice from the get-go, especially from a price standpoint at only $660 (and it includes the media basket). Unfortunately at this time, that cutter is unavailable from USCUTTER ("Out of stock").

A similarly-sized Graphtec (for 30" materials) is the FC8600-75 and it costs over $4000. https://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-8600-Series-Vinyl-Cutter

Ask your husband if that 6" matters.

Wait, that didn't come out sounding right!

Thats back to where i started!  Doesnt that have a stepper motor?  It shows as available under this link as an upgrade option:

https://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-SC2-Series-Vinyl-Cutter

Oops edit:  nevermind that sc2.  But i did see a similar sc2 offering w the lp3 as an upgrade option earlier... 

I would wait until the LP3 is offered again in the 34" size.  A container-full shipment of those is probably on the way to USCutter warehouse from China, and it won't be too long before they once more have them for sale on the website. (That Sc2 'upgrade' option is probably not accurate, and your request for one will be 'back-ordered')

Have you considered calling the company and actually asking about the availability of the LP3?

As for the stepper motor ----  it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Yeah, somewhat louder, but not freight-train loud!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, slice&dice said:

I would wait until the LP3 is offered again in the 34" size.  A container-full shipment of those is probably on the way to USCutter warehouse from China, and it won't be too long before they once more have them for sale on the website. (That Sc2 'upgrade' option is probably not accurate, and your request for one will be 'back-ordered')

Have you considered calling the company and actually asking about the availability of the LP3?

As for the stepper motor ----  it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Yeah, somewhat louder, but not freight-train loud!

I think I would be calling UScutter about the LP3. as to whether they are even going to continue selling them.  Might be a long wait.   There has not been any LP3 vinyl cutters sold since April 09/2019 (the longest sold date) on Ebay by USCUTTER.   LP3 Is not even a listed cutter for sale, in any size. 

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I think I would be calling UScutter about the LP3. as to whether they are even going to continue selling them.  Might be a long wait.   There has not been any LP3 vinyl cutters sold since April 09/2019 on Ebay by USCUTTER.   LP3 Is not even a listed cutter for sale, in any size. 

the lp3 is on their site as a 28" but betting that a stepper motor at that price might have been challenging - lots of people start with a "value cutter" and others go for the servos right away and not that many need to contour cut anything and can't justify the price for that.

3 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

the lp3 is on their site as a 28" but betting that a stepper motor at that price might have been challenging - lots of people start with a "value cutter" and others go for the servos right away and not that many need to contour cut anything and can't justify the price for that.

Yes, I know the 28" in on their site.  But they also sell everything on Ebay.. There have not been any LP3 vinyl cutters sold on Ebay since April 09/2019    Almost 90 days. And nothing listed.   Sales go to April 09/2019

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I think I would be calling UScutter about the LP3. as to whether they are even going to continue selling them.  Might be a long wait.   There has not been any LP3 vinyl cutters sold since April 09/2019 (the longest sold date) on Ebay by USCUTTER.   LP3 Is not even a listed cutter for sale, in any size. 

believe it or not i am still flipping back and forth between machines and deals and supplies and sellers!  i can barely see....  

im thinking i just better go w the graphtec.  learn how to do this trade, then if i see the demand for the big boats I can sell the 24" unit and upgrade to a 48" graphtec....

anybody know about buying the package from Amazon from uscutter?  i wouldnt save a whole bunch, but $50 shipping.

also thinking about getting the package w the heat press and buying separately the 12 pack of 651 w color chart for $160.  and buying basic supplies separate also, but im not exactly sure what i need.  a mat, tape, etc etc.

thx for bearing w me....

14 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Even if you go thru completed sale ads. There has never been an ad up for the LP3 on Ebay since April 09/2019 of any size.  Almost 90 days.    INVENTORY ON THE USCUTTER WEBSITE  28" SAYS MEMPHIS 2   SEATTLE 0

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stickchick said:

believe it or not i am still flipping back and forth between machines and deals and supplies and sellers!  i can barely see....  

im thinking i just better go w the graphtec.  learn how to do this trade, then if i see the demand for the big boats I can sell the 24" unit and upgrade to a 48" graphtec....

anybody know about buying the package from Amazon from uscutter?  i wouldnt save a whole bunch, but $50 shipping.

also thinking about getting the package w the heat press and buying separately the 12 pack of 651 w color chart for $160.  and buying basic supplies separate also, but im not exactly sure what i need.  a mat, tape, etc etc.

thx for bearing w me....

Show the ad from UScutter for the Graphtec on Amazon.   I see many Graphtec CE6000-60 ads,but they are not being sold by UScutter.   So buyer beware.   Show us the ad that you are looking at. 

You can make your own choice, BUT  USCUTTER has been on Amazon for many years. Selling many different products that have feedback on them.   This ad has no feedback on it at all.   Which could be a scam ad trying to represent USCUTTER.    This just happened to a buyer last month. They bought a cutter, thinking they bought it from UScutter, . It was sold by a 3rd party, and NOT USCUTTER, so they could not get support on it. The cutter was DOA.   I would contact USCUTTER first, And ask them if they are selling  The Graphtec CE6000-60 on AMAZON, then ask them for their link. 

• Like 1

it looks like USC and like that they add the oracal now - curious it is matte white and black - must need to move that out of warehouse.  the extras are the way companies get around the price fixed graphtecs - if you see a graphtec listed for less than that the company won't be a dealer long or is a scammer - - -sad part about the price fixing :(

• Like 1

nice thing about the graphtecs is they hold their value - used bring good money unlike other plotters

• Like 2

So it's coming down to a 24" Graphtec that's available now, or a 28" LP3 where the current inventory is questionable?

19 minutes ago, haumana said:

So it's coming down to a 24" Graphtec that's available now, or a 28" LP3 where the current inventory is questionable?

No.

A 34" LP3 which is Out of Stock (not 'questionable' -- it's not available, period).

After she talked to her husband, I'm pretty sure he rejected the 22" letter height limitation, in favor of an extra 6"  ----

can someone bless my cart?  I think im ready.  already busted the budget, but i will be back next week to get some other supplies like cutting mat, more htv, tools, etc.  i think we are pretty good on most tools like xacto, squegees, spray bottles, etc.  we have a couple drywall tees and big rulers around here too.  Do u notice im missing anything absolutely essential to just start practicing?  i cant say that im really impressed w the heat press, but i can do it for now, later i will use it for grilled cheese.  shipping & tax really stink @ around another $300. thx.

image.thumb.png.e82d0a994d07ca7137567fee7d3c8b2b.png

This would take care of all your problems,  Original owner   I have the FC7000-MK2-75   is a 30" cutter.   Owned mine since 2008 ,never a problem.   It looks like it has been taken care of. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graphtec-Cutting-Pro-FC7000-75-plotter-cutter-original-owner-can-ship/273914899402?hash=item3fc699abca:g:ZpUAAOSw3ChbT3pt